This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Carlos Acosta to choreograph for the Royal Ballet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

According to Acosta's website, he will choreograph a version of Don Quixote for the Royal Ballet's 2013/2014 season -- http://www.carlosacosta.com/news.htm.

#2 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Oh wow...a Cuban staging of a Russian ballet based in a Spanish novel to be premiered by such venerable British company...? I feel honored...GO, CARLITOS, GO!! Posted Image

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Oh wow...a Cuban staging of a Russian ballet based in a Spanish novel to be premiered by such venerable British company...? I feel honored...GO, CARLITOS, GO!! Posted Image

Well, there's the Russian re-staging of the Russian ballet based on a Spanish novel for a Dutch company that got re-staged for an American company (Ratmansky's Don Q, performed by Pacific Northwest Ballet this year...)

#4 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

I wish him the very best of luck. The Royal Ballet has a difficult history with this ballet and although I won't use the word jinxed, it is fair to say that RB and Don Q. don't exactly make a happy marriage. Casting will prove a problem I'm afraid but perhaps Acosta may be able to prevail upon Tamara Rojo to allow his nephew Yonah some leave from ENB to guest (as first cast please, Mr Acosta) as after seeing him dance those Don Q. solos that won him the title of ENB Emerging Dancer I'm positively aching to see him in the complete ballet.

#5 sayus85

sayus85

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

I was thinking of having the Nureyev version back. But good luck to Carlos. I think it's going to be Acosta and Nunez in the role of Basilio and Kitri, respectively, for this debut; so i think it's going to be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):