10 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Darcey Bussell becomes a regular member of the "Strictly Come Dancing" panel.

She will join Len Goodman, Craig Revel Horwood and Bruno Tonioli on the judging panel for Strictly when it returns in the autumn.

Bussell has appeared as a guest judge on the show but now joins on a full-time basis to replace Alesha Dixon.

Related.

BBC bosses are understood to have spent months trying to persuade her to take up the role after Alesha left to help present ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent.

Bussell announced her retirement as principal dancer at the Royal Ballet in 2006 and gave her final performance the following year. She now lives in Sydney with her Australian banker husband, Angus Forbes, and their two daughters.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Diablo Ballet will perform "Tarantella."

Certainly few dances require the rigorous work of the "Tarantella Pas de Deux." Based upon a southern Italian folk dance that has provided inspiration for many a choreographer, Balanchine's "Tarantella" combines folk elements with classical form in a relentlessly rhythmic dance that requires unflagging stamina and bravura wit. It's a playful, sexy and over the top pas de deux that puts dancers to the ultimate test.[Christopher] Stowell performed it dozens of times around the world with San Francisco Ballet and was so linked to the piece that he gave it a final spin at his farewell gala in April 2001.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

A review of Oklahoma City Ballet in "The Wizard of Oz."

Oklahoma City Ballet closed its 2011-12 season with a family friendly and thoroughly charming version of “The Wizard of Oz.” With music composed by Kermit Poling (who also conducted the Oklahoma City Philharmonic), choreography by Jacob Sparso and special flying effects by ZFX, opening night's near sellout audience enjoyed a magical evening.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

A story on the new documentary, "First Position." Link to the movie's trailer included.

Kargman's documentary follows six diverse young dancers, including male and female Japanese-American siblings and a former orphan whose parents were killed by rebels in her hometown of Sierra Leone.

"The young dancers I chose are similar in that they all defy a certain stereotype, whether it's the fact that not all ballet dancers are white, not all ballet dancers are rich, not all male ballet dancers are gay, not all stage moms are psycho," said Kargman. "This is something they've wanted from such a young age, they are so hungry and they want nothing else, and I think that to make it as a professional dancer you must to want it that badly from a very very young age."

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

An interview with Marilyn Rowe on dancing the role of Tatiana in "Onegin" and teaching it to Amber Scott.

Part of its allure was partnering with John Meehan in the Australian Ballet's 1976 debut of Onegin, adapted from an 1837 verse novel to a score by Tchaikovsky.

''We had such a wonderful rapport together as friends and dancers,'' Rowe said. ''Each performance we felt we grew together.''

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Q&A with David Hallberg in The New York Times' blog.

Ellen Barry: What was like to dance with Osipova again since she left the Bolshoi?

David Hallberg: There was a little bit of a hump to get over. But again, we really have a professional relationship. It’s emotional, but it’s professional. We don’t hang out. We don’t talk about other stuff other than work, really. At first there was a little bit of an underlying current — tension. I knew it wasn’t because of me. I knew that she had to do her own thing, and in the press she’s said that, and I’ve said that as well. So it wasn’t personal.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

A review of "Joffrey: Mavericks of American Dance."

But while doc offers us a story that needs to be told, it does so in very non-Joffrey ways. It never strays from the traditional televisual documentary style, which can feel quite asphyxiating given the avant-garde streak of its subject matter. It's also more concerned with exposing the linear history of the resilient company, and singing its praises, than with allowing us to absorb its importance visually. There are lots of dance clips from several time periods, none of which are shown long enough for us to understand the dance company through what it actually does.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Ballet Mississippi performs this weekend.

"It's not so much music- driven as it is idea-driven," artistic director David Keary said of this show. The slant emulates the environment of a professional company that's repertoire-driven - still classically based but stepping out into the world of contemporary dance, he said.

Guest artists Mikhail Ilyin and Maria Riccetto of American Ballet Theatre will perform the pas de deux from Don Quixote. Ilyin will also perform Unrestrained, a solo he choreographed to the music of Lauren Buchter.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Ithaca Ballet celebrates its fiftieth anniversary with a production of "Swan Lake."

Artistic Director Cindy Reid provided some background on the history of the Ithaca Ballet: "The company was co-founded by my mother, Alice Reid, and Vergiu Cornea. I was one of four dancing daughters, but the only one who went on to a professional career in ballet. So it was only natural for my mother to name me as associate director in 1984, and from there I just took on more and more responsibilities until I was really doing the everyday running of the company, with Alice more in the background......

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

The Birmingham Ballet honors the late Virginia Simpson, a patron of the company.

In 1974, Alfonso Figueroa uprooted his life in Boston and moved to Birmingham with a vision of transforming a community ballet into the first professional ballet company in the southeast. For three years, he worked alongside Simpson.

"She had a terrific instinct for what was right in a ballet," said Figueroa. But that talent was cut tragically short when Simpson was found shot to death in her home in 1977. Her son was originally charged, but the charges were later dropped. It's that story Figueroa is featuring in "The Awakening."

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,095 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

The Metamorphosis Dance Company presents "Giselle."

On a cocoa estate in Trinidad in the early 1900s, Giselle, a young seamstress, is led to believe that the man she loves, Albert, is a simple farmer. But this is far from the truth; he is in fact heir to the Courland Cocoa Estate and is engaged to another woman. When Giselle finally learns this truth she plummets into a fit of madness from her broken heart and kills herself. After her premature death, Giselle protects her lover from the vengeance of a group of evil female spirits, who are controlled by a soucouyant and aided by the douens of the forest.

The ballet is designed by Simone Phillips and recreates the era of the cocoa panyol. The choreography is by Frederic Jahn, international ballet artist, ballet master and custodian of Rudolf Nureyev's work. Jahn started his career with the New Zealand Ballet, then three years later joined the Australian Ballet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):