This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New book of dance photographs

This will be of special interest to Danish ballet lovers, but John R. Johnsen's photographs are of interest to any dance fan. I just got a notice that he's published a collection of photos to be released this May -- it's a Danish publisher. I don't know whether it will be available in the U.S. or not, but if you're interested, I'll include the publisher's address. (We don't usually post notices of books, unless it's a rare one, or one that probably won't be in a major bookstore. This one, I think, is worth a commercial smile.png ) Some Danish books are available on Amazon Germany.

Here's the publisher information:

Gad Publishers

Fiolstræde 31-33

1171 Copenhagen K

Denmark

www.gad.dk

John R. Johnsen, Erik Aschengreen, Anne Middelboe Christensen and Kirsten Sørensen

Dance in the Mirror

Dance in the Mirror is an ultimate celebration of dance, and not least ballet, in all its many guises. In particular, it pays homage to Danish ballet photographer John R. Johnsen (1945-), whose work is presented here in collected form for the first time. Artistically, Johnsen towers above the vast majority of his contemporaries, and in the period 1967-96, during which he photographed the Royal Danish Ballet and leading international companies such as New York City Ballet, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and Martha Graham Dance Company, he was indisputably his country’s foremost photographer of dance. His photographs uniquely document the work of these outstanding companies in that period.

John R. Johnsen (photos), Erik Aschengreen, Anne Middelboe Christensen and Kirsten Sørensen

Dance in the Mirror

Approx. 260 pages

Price: DKK 349 (Danish kroner)

Publication date: May 16th 2012

Gad Publishers

Fiolstræde 31-33

1171 Copenhagen K

Denmark

Direct +45 7766 6011

Cell +45 2780 6011

www.gad.dk

Thanks for that information, Alexandra! It will probably take ages before it gets on Amazon, I fear. There is a Swedish on-line book store called "Adlibris", they are reasonably good at ballet books. But the best bet would probably be to contact the publishers and order from them directly.

That would be about 50 US dollars (might be wrong, maths is not my strong side) plus p&p which to the States would be rather hefty. However, I will check with Adlibris and see what they can offer, if they will have it, which is not sure.

Folks, I have some good news for you! I checked Adlibris today and they will have the book 16 May. In English! The price is 299 SEK, which is about 42 dollars. Postage depends naturally on where it is going to. So, if you are interested, and this might be the easiest way - but you could also write directly to Gad Publishers (wouldnt be any cheaper there). Their mail adress is as follows: info@adlibris.com. It is called: "Dance in the mirror - The balletphotography of John R. Johnsen"

I can't figure out a way to change the country. I was asked to choose a country from Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and I assume Finland. "Sverige" is no editable in the country field on the registration form. I can't figure out how it's possible to ship out of Scandinavia.

OMG - just spoken to Adlibris, they DO NOT ship overseas. I told them that they are losing a flourishing market that way. The only thing we can do is that I buy at least 20 copies, then I would get 4% price reductionmad.gif so I could ship to all who are interested. Sorry about this debacle.

OK, I will try another of those companies, www.bokus.com and see if they are more amenable. But in my own experience, it has never failed to write and order directly from the publisher, the name and full address is in Alexandra's post. At least, I have now managed to establish that there is an English version as well. And a great pity, because they only wanted 299 SEK which is quite reasonable for a photo book. Well, at least I did try... and will keep trying.

Getting curiouser and curiouser here - you neednt bother with that Bokus.com - I have just spoken to them. They do not send books to the US any more as their experience is that the American customs open the parcels and return them to Sweden promptly. In that case, the only option that remains is to write directly to the Danish publishers.

Actually I was quite willing to buy 20 copies and then re-sell them to you, but if there is going to be trouble with US customs, it is hardly worth my effort.

Very sorry to have to post such negative news - I so wanted to be of help to all of you.

The book is available at the Danish E-bookshop SAXO:

You will find it if you follow this link

I have checked, that they do deliver to US, but they will charge you with DDK 229,- for delivery, plus extra DKK 29,- for each item (that makes approximately 43 US dollars just for delivery.)

But the book is a real treat! I got my copy yesterday, and it is really worhtwhile, if you like Johnsen's non-glamorous style with lots of naked muscles and sweat. He is also master of the moment and some of the pictures catch exactly the moment where the movement expresses everything.