Breaking Pointe-- an ongoing discussion.

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#76 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

Wouldn't it be cool if the last show would be just a straightforward performance of Paquita, Petit Mort and Emeralds? Probably won't happen, as the dancers featured in the show are sprinkled between the 1st and 2nd casts.

#77 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

Well, there was a lot of onstage footage tonight but it was fragmented across two nights and six casts. So, if you're looking for complete performances, you'll be disappointed.

I was surprised to see any Emeralds footage at all. Is Barbara Horgan getting soft in her golden years?

Ronnie needs to lay off the weightlifting.

The previews w/ Rex and Allison were beyond crazy. Dude -- why are you throwing your life away for Allison???

#78 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Beckanne is just joking about not being able to do a pushup, right?

Rex is elegant. Ronnie - I just dont see it.

I feel really bad for Allison. I am sure she is suffering a great deal.

#79 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

[size=3][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I was disappointed when rock music was inserted [and the classical music removed] when Beckanne Sisk danced in Paquita. I don't care about Allison and Rex Posted Image
So a principal [Christiana] will be having a nervous breakdown next week...?[/font][/size]

#80 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Allison give it a rest.

#81 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

The orchestra sounded dreadful in Paquita and tempos were still off. I am an enthusiastic advocate for live music, but in this case, maybe the company would be better off using caned music!

#82 Andre Yew

Andre Yew

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

I wish they'd shown more of Christiana in Emeralds along with the correct music, because what little we saw of her looked very, very good. And if Sklute thought she was the best he'd ever seen, then her Emeralds must be very special indeed.

And speaking of music, who is editing this show? When the correct music was used, it was all off with music from some other part of the ballet put on top of the wrong steps.

#83 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,160 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

I suspect that to get permission to show any of "Emeralds," it had to be highly edited, and that might have included mismatching the music. On the other hand, the director/sound editor has a penchant for teen TV music soundtrack. I'm surprised there were even a few notes of Mozart in a "Petite Mort" clip, and I suspect most of "Breaking Points"'s audience would be shocked if they saw it in the theater.

The few bits of Beckanne Sisk's "Paquita" solo gave me chills, and I would have loved to have seen both Christiana Bennett's and Allison DeBona's "Emeralds."

It's possible that the world might destruct before this, but watching the coming attractions -- more DeBona/Tilton drama -- I can only hope that when Tilton's grandchildren find the clips on YouTube someday, they think he was acting in a TV show.

#84 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

So far the biggest embarrassment would be the lack of a good waxing.

#85 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]

I suspect that to get permission to show any of "Emeralds," it had to be highly edited, and that might have included mismatching the music. On the other hand, the director/sound editor has a penchant for teen TV music soundtrack. I'm surprised there were even a few notes of Mozart in a "Petite Mort" clip, and I suspect most of "Breaking Points"'s audience would be shocked if the saw it in the theater.

The few bits of Beckanne Sisk's "Paquita" solo gave me chills, and I would have loved to have seen both Christiana Bennett's and Allison DeBona's "Emeralds."

It's possible that the world might destruct before this, but watching the coming attractions -- more DeBona/Tilton drama -- I can only hope that when Tilton's grandchildren find the clips on YouTube someday, they think he was acting in a TV show.

[/size][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]lol, Helene. [/size][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]I adore Beckanne Sisk. She really has an engaging personality and unusual composure for a 19 year old - for any age, really. She has a bright future.[/size][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]If you google DeBona she claims that she has a Pittsburgh attitude. I wish she would drop it but then CW30 wouldn't have a show, would they? Based on the 5 seconds they showed, I thought Allison looked radiant in "Emeralds." Not sulking is a good look for her.[/size][/font]

#86 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,160 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

Based on the 5 seconds they showed, I thought Allison looked radiant in "Emeralds." Not sulking is a good look for her.

No kidding. She was lovely.

Sisk is still young, and while I don't see a drama queen in her future, and I'm sure she's had her disappointments along the way, it's still a bit early for her to be saying "never" when she hasn't hit major career snarls or romantic entanglements, had a close friend who was realistically competing for the same parts in the company, or have been a long-time standard-bearer. I doubt, though, she'll have any angst about dancing the same role as one of the company stars, the type of roles it's hard to imagine she won't get for the rest of her career.

#87 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

I hope that we may be seeing a lot of Breaking Pointe's featured dancers at the Kennedy Center in December (Nutcrackers). I hope that Sisk is one of the featured soloists.

#88 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:30 AM

I think Beckanne is a nice dancer and a pretty girl. Many people seem to comment or observe only the surface and ignore many facets, as a result. Beckanne seems a bit cunning, and throws daggers, while subtle. I assume this ability to come off as seemingly innocent and entirely composed derives from growing up in a competitive field with the benefits of talent and beauty. At the same time, she shares the disadvantages of her natural advantages, such as her isolation and lack of emotional support, which is very difficult and honest. Allison does not have the same natural, physical beauty, but is lovely when made up and as a dancer. She has struggled and is honest about her emotions, seemingly without any guile. These natural differences make for a black and white, good and evil plot like, where editing is used to distort and drive a story. The hero and villain characterizations are too much, and unnecessary.

#89 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]Doesn't Allison seem a tad disrespectful to the conductor? Does she have histrionic personality disorder or what? [/size][/font]

I had no idea and was really, really, really, delighted to learn that "histrionic personality disorder" is an actual medical condition. I even googled it after reading this post and it's in the DSM! However, I am somewhat hesitant to tell my (not at all histrionic, indeed rather stoic) partner.

But I don't have anything bad to say about Allison--my reactions to the "characters" on the show (partly created by editing etc.) are more or less the same as Puppytreats' ... though mixed w. a tad more frustration or would be if I took it seriously.

As far as their dancing goes--based on the bits I have seen I would probably enjoy seeing any of the featured women on stage esp. the two casts of Emeralds and Beckanne Sisk in Paquita. The men look pretty good too, but on the whole I'm more of a ballerina-centric fan.

#90 love_ballet

love_ballet

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Here's an article with some background on Allison and Rex:

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Breaking Pointe" underscores hard work, and pain, behind beauty of ballet[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Interesting quote from Allison:[/font]

"Young Beckanne, she's so talented, but I don't think she understands that more people have our paths -- Rex and mine -- than hers."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):