This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Breaking Pointe-- an ongoing discussion.

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#31 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

After watching the second episode of "Breaking Pointe" and seeing her photo, I really want to see the Tilton sister at SFB School dance.

Katie seems like a real sweetheart.

#32 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:27 AM

An 'A for effort' on the CW's part for trying to create suspense last night. But did anyone really think Ronnie wouldn't sign his contract or Ronald would follow Katie to Boise? In particular, Ronnie's decision was a no-brainer. Ballet West is his 4th company in 10 years. If I were an AD, I would be wary of hiring him if he bolted from Ballet West.

Speaking of Ronnie, I take second place to no one in admiration of his chest. HOWEVER, is he almost too muscle-bound for ballet? I compete in natural bodybuilding shows and Ronnie would be a top competitor in those with his physique. But, maybe what's right for natural bodybuilding isn't right for ballet? What do those of you who have danced professionally think?

In any event, it's a pity Gogol isn't with us today -- "The Nose" could be become "The Chest". Posted Image

I thought this episode was better than the last in terms of showing some aspects of life within a ballet company:

-- Adam telling Rex that, "corrections are part of the job."
-- Katie explaining how particular dancers are about their place at the barre.
-- Katie having to be professional during rehearsals even though, as she put it, "Adam is looking right through me."

Katie seems like a real sweetheart.

I agree -- perhaps too much so. I wonder if she has the necessary killer instinct.

And as for poor, sad Rex -- dude, why are you settling?

#33 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

Watched again last night. Almost puked during the rehearsals for 'Petite Mort' and the bit about the boys and their swords. So is that how Madison Avenue now plans to sell ballet?

Who needs to feature Paquita and Emeralds when you have Petite Mort?

Sorry, this stupid show has lost me. I am guessing that 'Bunheads' will be a 'tween version of this.

#34 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

Who needs to feature Paquita and Emeralds when you have Petite Mort?

Natalia, "Petite Mort" is the most adult of the three.

#35 Andre Yew

Andre Yew

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Last night's episode was terrible in a different way, though it did retain the insipidness of the first episode. Like the first episode, I looked at the time remaining about 20 minutes into the show.

Anyway, some discussion with friends have crystallized my thoughts on what's wrong with this show, and it is that this show doesn't follow one of the fundamental rules of filmmaking: show, don't tell. It's better to show an action than to have a character describe it in words. It is ironic that dance being a show-me kind of art is the subject of this show.

For example, don't keep telling me the new girl is a freak at ballet, show me! Show me the relationship of Sklute with his dancers by more thoughtful footage of how he runs class or rehearsal than just showing one or two generic comments he makes, or having him awkwardly make pronouncements about them. They keep talking about how hard the art is, but the biggest consequence of that we see is people in PT. How about showing people struggling in class or with choreography? There is already so much natural drama in ballet (as the RNZB series showed) without people coming in and trying to play up relationship problems.

Also, how many times do we have to hear Ronnie say that he should be a principal because he's dancing principal roles? I think last night's show had at least 4 instances of that. Show us Ronnie dancing the darned roles, and let the audience decide for themselves! There is so much more inherent drama in that than hearing one person complain about it because it now involves us in the judgment instead of being passive observers.

Argh. This is such a stupid show.

edit: the first half of this show used the dance sequences as basically fancier versions of scene transitions. It's like the show is a bunch of long, tedious emoting separated by short, little dancing sequences (that don't show much dance).

#36 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

I don't think we're their target demographic. It's shown on a network where it's followed by "Vampire Diaries."

(So happy that Peter Boal turned this down, so happy that Peter Boal turned this down...)

#37 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

In the first episode Sklute makes the comment that ".......dancers are expendable." Well dear take a look at Miami Ballet and if you are so inclined and a fan of figure skating the drama taking place in Canton, Michigan, and you too will realize so are artistic directors. A stupid comment to make publicly.

#38 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

For those of you who hate Breaking Pointe -- fear not! The preliminary ratings for the second episode are down from last week:

18-49 demo -- 0.2
Total viewers -- 0.687million

#39 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Sklute is repeating a cliche.

#40 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

He said it as management philosophy, though: to paraphrase, to get the best/optimized company, the dancers need to know they are special, but expendable.

#41 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

I would not be wildly reassured if my boss told me I was special but expendable.

Too bad about the ratings, miliosr. I enjoyed the family dinner scene and Ronnie's My Career Must Come First moment with Katie.

#42 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

I don't think they're supposed to be reassured: they're supposed to know they're auditioning every moment they're in the building or the theater. The adrenalin and cortisol levels must be off the charts.

#43 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

That was part of my original point, yes. If you keep your people constantly on edge, you'll get results but eventually the returns diminish.

#44 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

As soon as those returns diminish, though, you replace them with someone else, and there are any number of dancers happy to take on their roles. In most businesses, the training and learning curve costs are too high. One number that was mentioned in a project management class I took was that it costs one year's salary to train a knowledge worker to replace another.

#45 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Natalia, "Petite Mort" is the most adult of the three.

I disagree, sorry. To be elegant (not trashy) is to be adult. Paquita and Emeralds are elegant; PM is not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):