This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT Bayadere: Vishneva-Osipova Performance

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:31 AM

They're dancers (human), not machines. Dancers have injuries. Dancers get sick. Let's hope it's not too serious and she'll be back soon.

#62 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

Dancers when they're tired are in greeat danger of injuring themselves further --

Back to italian fouettes -- fouette means to whip, and it's the leg that whips
the BIG difference is that "Italian fouettes" are HALF-turns derived from flic-flac, whereas fouette pirouettes are WHOLE turns derived from rond de jambe en l'air, Flic-flac is a slicing motion, and rond de jambe is a circular motion -- but in each case, the movement of hte leg provides impetus that can be used for flipping around.

Italian fouettes usually begin with a releve in ecarte devant (second position on hte diagonal), then brush through first on that same diagonal into a releve facing the back corner which molds into an attitude croise as the torso comes around to face the audience.I love hte way Maria Alexandrova does these - -she's the dancer who made me see Gamzatti as an interesting character, mostly through the gusto with which she poured int oher grands jetes and these italian fouettes; I found myself thinking, 'she deserves to be happy' and followed her forever after with some sympathy throughout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):