This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT Bayadere: Vishneva-Osipova Performance

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:31 AM

They're dancers (human), not machines. Dancers have injuries. Dancers get sick. Let's hope it's not too serious and she'll be back soon.

#62 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

Dancers when they're tired are in greeat danger of injuring themselves further --

Back to italian fouettes -- fouette means to whip, and it's the leg that whips
the BIG difference is that "Italian fouettes" are HALF-turns derived from flic-flac, whereas fouette pirouettes are WHOLE turns derived from rond de jambe en l'air, Flic-flac is a slicing motion, and rond de jambe is a circular motion -- but in each case, the movement of hte leg provides impetus that can be used for flipping around.

Italian fouettes usually begin with a releve in ecarte devant (second position on hte diagonal), then brush through first on that same diagonal into a releve facing the back corner which molds into an attitude croise as the torso comes around to face the audience.I love hte way Maria Alexandrova does these - -she's the dancer who made me see Gamzatti as an interesting character, mostly through the gusto with which she poured int oher grands jetes and these italian fouettes; I found myself thinking, 'she deserves to be happy' and followed her forever after with some sympathy throughout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):