This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Bayadere: Vishneva-Osipova Performance

MakarovaFan

Okay - Parterre Level it is for me on the 24th. I'm the one who reneged about meeting on the 25th because I bought the "guest stage manager" opportunity from Priceless New York (mastercard) for the 25th. Decided to fly in a day early and catch another Bayadere from the audience. Look forward to meeting all of you. I'm 60, as of yesterday (yuk) and I'll be in black (it's New York, not Florida right?) with patterned stockings. See you tomorrow evening. Kristen

Part is now listed on ABT's website in place of Vishneva for Friday's Bayadere...was this announced earlier? Did I somehow miss it?

I am not at all sorry to see Part for sure--though she may rather tower over Osipova--but very disappointed not to be seeing Vishneva especially after last year when I only saw her in Carmen (which I did not care for). I've hit my budget limit on planned NY trips, so this means I won't see her at all this season...

(To be honest, I have been mostly worried Cojocaru would pull out of Thursday's performance.)

The best laid plans of mice and balletomanes...

Part is now listed on ABT's website in place of Vishneva for Friday's Bayadere...was this announced earlier? Did I somehow miss it?

I am not at all sorry to see Part for sure--though she may rather tower over Osipova--but very disappointed not to be seeing Vishneva especially after last year when I only saw her in Carmen (which I did not care for). I've hit my budget limit on planned NY trips, so this means I won't see her at all this season...

(To be honest, I have been mostly worried Cojocaru would pull out of Thursday's performance.)

I don't think the height differential should be a disaster or even an issue. Osipova has so much personality I think she can stand up to anyone. I kept seeing Part cast with Wiles in this and I think tempermentally this will be a much more interesting match. Its also a gorgeous role for Veronika (or has been, and I'm so sorry I don't get back to the US until next week!!).

Wow -- so much for the much-anticipated Vishneva-Osipova Nikiya-Ganzatti pairing. Maybe next season? Actually, Part with Osipova may be more appropriate. Sweetness and Fire....more interesting that Fire and Fire...although I would have loved to have seen 'two Gamzatti types' in the Act I Catfight. Regardless, I hope that everyone going to NYC has fun. I'm sorry to be missing the reunion. smile.png

Bummer is right, Cristian.

I still haven't recovered from a perfomance of Manon at ABT some years ago where an injured Vishneva was replaced by Kent. 1/3 of the audience actually got up and left when they read the dreaded white insert in the program. But my husband and I stayed and endured. Sure hope Part's Nikiya isn't as lackluster as her Odette-Odile last season. Maybe Gomes's partnering will inspire her?

This is getting to be a bit too much from Vishneva. I remember her cancellations towards the end of the 2008 City Center Kirov tour...injured during one of her Dying Swans, if memory serves. Hence, unable to dance Rubies and whatever else she was scheduled to dance. This was the spring in which she toured 'Beauty in Motion' so she may have been extremely tired.

Dancers when they're tired are in greeat danger of injuring themselves further --

Back to italian fouettes -- fouette means to whip, and it's the leg that whips

the BIG difference is that "Italian fouettes" are HALF-turns derived from flic-flac, whereas fouette pirouettes are WHOLE turns derived from rond de jambe en l'air, Flic-flac is a slicing motion, and rond de jambe is a circular motion -- but in each case, the movement of hte leg provides impetus that can be used for flipping around.

Italian fouettes usually begin with a releve in ecarte devant (second position on hte diagonal), then brush through first on that same diagonal into a releve facing the back corner which molds into an attitude croise as the torso comes around to face the audience.I love hte way Maria Alexandrova does these - -she's the dancer who made me see Gamzatti as an interesting character, mostly through the gusto with which she poured int oher grands jetes and these italian fouettes; I found myself thinking, 'she deserves to be happy' and followed her forever after with some sympathy throughout