This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Bayadere: Vishneva-Osipova Performance

MakarovaFan

For those among us who are attending the Vishneva-Gomes-Osipova La Bayadere on Memorial Day Weekend, what are you anticipating most about the performance? To my knowledge this is the first time these 2 ballerinas are dancing together. I'm very excited about this. Hopefully the Act I catfight will be memorable. The gold standard for me is Komleva-Terekhova on the Kirov 1977 dvd. Please share your thoughts!

I totally understand being very excited about seeing these two ballerinas in the same cast. Unfortunately, I feel as if I ought to be more excited than I am. I bought tickets because although I have seen Vishneva in several major roles, the only nineteenth-century classic I have seen her dance is Giselle. For the rest, I find Gamzatti an utterly thankless role and even the thought of seeing Osipova (whom I adore) dance the part does not change that opinion, though I can't help but be curious about anything she does.

Some years ago, I did find Dvorovenko's interpretation of Gamzatti as a silent movie style seductive villainess mildly entertaining and I vaguely remember that she even made something of the classical divertissement in Act I, but neither Cynthia Gregory nor Elizabeth Platel (in Nureyev's version) nor Dvorovenko herself in that divertissement could make me think it anything other than middling Petipa indeed. It goes w/o saying that lesser lights as Gamzatti have made no impression on me at all. So I'm afraid that despite the toe-to-toe encounter of two such remarkable ballerinas in Act I, it's still the case that the one thing I most anticipate about this performance is what I always anticipate about performances of Bayadere--Act II.

But I AM hoping, albeit not too optimistically, that Osipova somehow surprises me.

Do ballet alert members ever have a group meet up during intermission? It is common at opera events. I bet lots of Ballet Alert members will be at the Vishneva/Osipova Bayadere. We could meet during the first intermission somewhere. I usually go down to the basement level and look at the Rosa Ponselle painting (favorite diva), although that little gallery area is sort of cramped. Any other suggestions?

Getting back to Makarova's question...I have heard Vishneva's Nikiya is terrific. I also think Gamzatti would fit Osipova's personality better than Nikiya. She is a spitfire, extroverted personality, and there are flashy balances and leaps. I can't wait for the engagement scene. The music in that act is my favorite!

The meet up sounds great - I'll be there and look forward to putting a face on all these posters - and to personally thank cubanmiamiboy for his posts about Miami City Ballet (I'm up the coast here and catch them at the Kravis in West Palm Beach) Cheers, Kristen

It sounds like we'll have quite a crowd at the Vishneva/Gomes/Osipova Bayadere. I look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I really like the role of Gamzatti in Bayadere, but it has to be danced by a true ballerina with great acting ability and great technique. I always look forward to the Italian fouettees in Gamzatti's wedding variation, and love the way her variations are so classical, as opposed to Nikiya's much more romantic/dramatic 1st act variations.

Dramatically speaking, I like a Gamzatti who is regal and haughty, with a sense of entitlement. Murphy & Dvorovenko are my favorites (I don't think Murphy is a great actress but strong roles seem to come naturally to her). I haven't liked the Mariinsky Gamzattis I've seen. They seem to see the role as a spoiled little rich girl. I've seen Golub & Tktachnko and although their dancing was great I didn't care for either of them.

Of course, the shades scene is always the crowning glory in any production of Bayadere (even when followed by another act).

Vishneva's Nikiya is absolutely gorgeous and Gomes is the ultimate romantic hero. It will be interesting to see how Osipova's Gamzatti fits in. I can't wait for 5/25!!!! For me it will be the last of a 4 night Bayadere marathon...

Dramatically speaking, I like a Gamzatti who is regal and haughty, with a sense of entitlement.

Well, she IS entitled...isn't she...? Just as Bathilde or Effie or even Swannilda are. I've never seen the restored last act-(Cuban version is an abridged Kingdom of the Shades)-so I look forward to see how the "entitled one" gets to be punished...(for her physical crime rather than her interference in a love story, I suppose...?). Gamzatti shouldn't be portrayed as the Carabosse of Bayadere. She is human, she's in love and she's seeing all her dreams of happiness collapsing right in front of her very eyes because of "the other one". So she fights all the way, just as all the others do. (Well, Bathilde doesn't really gets to be that threatened, and she knows it just right from the moment Albrecht doesn't step up to acknowledge Giselle when she's begging him for a recognition signal in front of everybody. Effie even less...she's more practical by taking a more self respectable solution. "You don't want me...?...that's OK, someone else will appreciate me more than you, so don't you worry". Swannilda destroys the damned doll. But Gamzatti, ha! ... our Gamzatti takes the Jerry Springer way...a hardcore physical fight. I don't think it as inusual...the whole outcome probably is, but not impossible either. At the end, she IS entitled.

The meet up sounds great - I'll be there and look forward to putting a face on all these posters - and to personally thank cubanmiamiboy for his posts about Miami City Ballet (I'm up the coast here and catch them at the Kravis in West Palm Beach) Cheers, Kristen

Kristen,

I attend Kravis shows. Just got home from a second Coppelia! Maybe we could meet next season!

Bart

It sounds like we'll have quite a crowd at the Vishneva/Gomes/Osipova Bayadere. I look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I really like the role of Gamzatti in Bayadere, but it has to be danced by a true ballerina with great acting ability and great technique. I always look forward to the Italian fouettees in Gamzatti's wedding variation, and love the way her variations are so classical, as opposed to Nikiya's much more romantic/dramatic 1st act variations.

Dramatically speaking, I like a Gamzatti who is regal and haughty, with a sense of entitlement. Murphy & Dvorovenko are my favorites (I don't think Murphy is a great actress but strong roles seem to come naturally to her). I haven't liked the Mariinsky Gamzattis I've seen. They seem to see the role as a spoiled little rich girl. I've seen Golub & Tktachnko and although their dancing was great I didn't care for either of them.

Of course, the shades scene is always the crowning glory in any production of Bayadere (even when followed by another act).

Vishneva's Nikiya is absolutely gorgeous and Gomes is the ultimate romantic hero. It will be interesting to see how Osipova's Gamzatti fits in. I can't wait for 5/25!!!! For me it will be the last of a 4 night Bayadere marathon...

The Nikiya/Gamzatti fight reminds me of Dynasty's fights between Krystle and Alexis! Sort of cheesy but who can resist?

I love Gamzatti too, but you need a dancer who can be mean yet still make you understand and feel for her. I love the coda of the engagement when Gamzatti turns on one leg flinging the other leg in the air and never setting that leg down. Don't know what that is called but love it. She turns 5-6 times as a waltz plays. So amazing to watch a ballerina do that!

Bart- Nice to know you're in the area and I can meet you too at the Met next month and next season at the Kravis. Not a Coppelia fan at all, so didn't go this weekend, though it was the first the ballet I saw as a child, and obviously, changed my life! As for Gamzatti - I, too, love the role -years ago, saw someone post that if their house were on fire, they would take the cat and their (then) VHS tape of Darcey Bussell as Gamzatti in the Royal Ballet's Bayadere. I TOTALLY understood - Darcey Bussell - what a Gamzatti - she made my husband a total ballet fan with that one performance - I don't expect Osipova to disappoint in that role - saw her do DQ with Carreno at the Met - what more could anyone want from an evening at the ballet!

I love the coda of the engagement when Gamzatti turns on one leg flinging the other leg in the air and never setting that leg down. Don't know what that is called but love it. She turns 5-6 times as a waltz plays. So amazing to watch a ballerina do that!

Those are the Italian fouettees

I love the coda of the engagement when Gamzatti turns on one leg flinging the other leg in the air and never setting that leg down. Don't know what that is called but love it. She turns 5-6 times as a waltz plays. So amazing to watch a ballerina do that!

Those are the Italian fouettees

And BB, MCB's Swannilda has them in her Act I's entrance waltz. The Queen of Dryads of DQ also has them.

Kristen, great that you'll meet at the Met! I love the video you mention and love Asylmuratova too! Haved watched that video over and over! Love Darcy Bussel in the Sylvia video too!

NySusan, thank you for the term!!!! Finally, I know the name!

I think Swanilda did them in the third act.

Well - I was looking forward to meeting all of you during intermission on May 25th, but I got a better offer. Happy to say I'm the lucky buyer of the MasterCard "priceless" offer to be a "principal stage manager." for one night and what better night could there be than this one!

http://www.mastercard.us/priceless-cities/newyork/offer-details.html?id=895971

No words to describe how thrilled I am. Kristen