2 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,043 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Joy Womack is close to becoming the first American to graduate from the Bolshoi Ballet Academy. Photos and video.

Joy Womac khas lived by herself in Moscow, Russia, for three years, more than 6,000 miles away from her home in Austin, to attend the school.

Now, after years of dancing for 10 hours a day and six days a week, Joy is preparing to sit her finals and graduate in May.

Related.

“When I first arrived here, nobody had heard of me. Everybody thought, ‘Here is this new American coming into the Russian class,’” she said. “I was put with the graduation class in repertoire ahead of the other girls in my class … that had created a lot of jealousy and a lot of questions.”

Joy, who did not speak Russian at the time, said she needed the instructors to repeat themselves again and again.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,043 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

A review of Ballet Idaho's 'Cinderella' by Dana Oland in The Idaho Statesman.

One of the funniest bits is in the third act, when the prince and his soldiers — Graham Gobeille, Nathan Powell, James Brougham and Daniel Ojeda — search for the mysterious princess who left her shoe at the ball. The prince visits a house with three maidens — Monique Betty, Jessica Sulikowski and Adrienne Kerr — who are determined to get themselves a prince. Each vignette is funnier than the other as the women ply their wiles.

At just longer than two hours it feels a bit lengthy. Some of the second act group dance scenes (not the Orange Dance) at the ball go over choreographed and a bit too long. Some of the third act search scenes get a bit tedious.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,043 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

A review of the Stuttgart Ballet by Horst Koegler for danceviewtimes.

With its third programme in its “Bodies Languages” series, Stuttgart strengthened its reputation of the continent´s foremost forge of choreographic talents. Any new creation of a ballet means a risk. However, a programme of three new successful pieces comes up a smash. And this is what happened at the company´s first appearance in the city´s newly renovated Schauspiehaus, home of the local drama company.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):