• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

What is very strange here is that Angel is only 36 and still in pretty good physical shape unlike some others like Stiefel and Beloserkovsky. I would suspect that Angel will continue to dance with his own Barcelona Ballet (formerly Corella Co.) just as Bocca danced (tango and modern) with his own company. I personally feel that ABT has lost more than it gained by pushing Angel out.

Ahem...you are entirely correct. Angel is only 36 years old and he's not retiring, he simply won't be dancing with ABT anymore. Very sad for us here in NY who love him, but his career will continue and hopefully we will see him here often with Barcelona ballet.

Kevin McKenzie needs to have his head examined!

#17 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

What is very strange here is that Angel is only 36 and still in pretty good physical shape unlike some others like Stiefel and Beloserkovsky. I would suspect that Angel will continue to dance with his own Barcelona Ballet (formerly Corella Co.) just as Bocca danced (tango and modern) with his own company. I personally feel that ABT has lost more than it gained by pushing Angel out.

Ahem...you are entirely correct. Angel is only 36 years old and he's not retiring, he simply won't be dancing with ABT anymore. Very sad for us here in NY who love him, but his career will continue and hopefully we will see him here often with Barcelona ballet.

Kevin McKenzie needs to have his head examined!

you are both very correct. At 36, Angel has yet to show his age as a dancer, yes he might not do all of the roles that he's done in the past, but keeping him around for those handful of performances every year was something I expected we'd have for a few more years. Angel LOVES to dance for the NYC audience, and he's done his part to be available to ABT...of course scheduling was an issue at times, but I hate the idea that he might have been pushed out, when he appeared to be willing to put in a few more years even with his commitment to his own company. We know Kevin could use the extra very experienced male principal for a few more seasons as he works to rebuild the roster.

#18 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

I guess this might put a premium on the 80hrs of footage I have (and irony of ironies, still not fully edited due to continuing funding issues.) If anyone is interested in contributing towards the completion of my documentary, (and every penny counts now) maybe we'll finally have a broadcast or DVD to view and remind us of his amazing talent as a dancer and entrepreneur in the intervening days/months/years when we can't afford to visit Spain or other closer venues to see him or his company perform.

#19 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

Have you considered Kickstarter, 4mrdncr?

#20 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Does anyone know at which performances Angel will be dancing with Barcelona Ballet next week at City Center? (My ticket is for the first night.) Sorry to post this here, but on the topic under Barcelona Ballet it reads "You cannot reply to this topic."

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,584 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

Sorry, Golden Idol. You should be able to post to the Barcelona Ballet forum now.

#22 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Have you considered Kickstarter, 4mrdncr?

Of course, and I may still do it (though I've been warned that:
(a) 90% of your time must be devoted to social networking--something I'm not that fluent with--to get people to the Kickstarter site and/or to donate. So little time is left-over to actually work on the film, and
(b)that self-contributing is not unheard of to reach a goal in the desigated time allowed).

But more importantly, there already was a way to support the film...

Since January 2009, the trailer to the doc has been posted at www.dancemedia.com/v/1528 (run by Macfadden Perf.Arts Media conglomerate which publishes Dance Magazine, Pointe, etc.etc.etc.) with links to the Dance Films Association (my film's fiscal sponsor-- which allows donations to the film to be tax deductible, and allows me to apply for other grants by giving me "nonprofit status" under the DFA.)

The DFA has a page on its website for its 'fiscally sponsored works-in-progress' which DOES have a "Donate" button, http://www.dancefilm...orship-program/ As you can see, this page has a link to the DFA PayPal account which then allows funds to be directed to the appropriate project(s).

Maybe the DFA-sponosored w-i-p page was hard to find on the DFA site, (there is no link on the DFA homepage, it must be reached thru a drop-down menu), or maybe it was just the economy, but there hasn't been much action in the last two years. And yet there is such a clamor for news about Angel and/or his company. It's so puzzling and ironic to me--especially now, when the chance to see Angel dance will be even less after June 28th.

But anyways, thanks for the inquiry.

Edited by 4mrdncr, 10 April 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#23 CaseyLynn

CaseyLynn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

I am SO very sad by this news! I first was introduced to Angel as a kid in that ABT gala video. I grew up as a dancer watching him - a highlight of my life was when I got to take a class with him. To me, you just can't get anyone who is as charming on stage than Angel. I'm such a fan I try to catch his shows every season, no matter where I'm living. I was very disappointed when the casting was changed a few years back for his Romeo and Juliet performance, and last year's Coppeila was fairly disappointing just because the male role in that is so small compared to the female role. I'd say my three favorites shows with Angel were in Le Corsaire, Romeo and Juliet, and Swan Lake. I'm glad to at least know we'll actually get to see him dance this time!

I'll be making the trip from DC with some good friends and Angel fans to see his "retirement" show and cheer him on. We'll miss you at ABT, Angel!

#24 Roberto Dini

Roberto Dini

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'm disappointed, and yet not surprised, that they've raised the ticket prices for his farewell.

#25 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

Here's an article on Corella's farewell. I laughed out loud when I read his plans for the day after his farewell. Anyone who has been to Levain Bakery knows that 2 of their cookies have some SERIOUS (but delicious) calories. Sooo sad he is leaving ABT, but hopefully we will see him w. Barcelona Ballet soon again in New York.

http://www.nypost.co...jUkbdryVeg5HeBM

#26 CaseyLynn

CaseyLynn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

In spirit of Angel's farewell performance (which I am traveling from the south to New York to see), I thought I would post a few of my favorite clips of his performances with ABT over the years. I hope others will join in!

First, is the classic Angel role that many of us cherish! This was the first video I saw of Angel as a kid, and immediately I was a mega-fan!

Secondly, is one of my favorite roles that Angel played as Romeo. Although I saw Angel perform Romero and Alessandra Ferri perform Juliet at two separate times, for me, this will remain one of my favorite partnerships of his (even though I never saw the two of them together live):

And lastly, perhaps the most beloved of all Angel's roles, Ali from Le Corsaire. I remember I saw this live as a teenager, and all of the ladies sitting around me gave me dirty looks when I cheered so loudly for Angel's performance. My favorite point is at 7:54 when the audience goes "WHOA!" and then just goes crazy!!

Angel, I am looking very forward to your performance tomorrow, but we will miss you at ABT!

#27 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

Thanks for those videos- a great way to get in the mood for tonight!

#28 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

From this AP article: http://hosted2.ap.org/CARIE/6b85546689744819aa7a64cd3ca6cee6/Article_2012-06-27-US-A-Dancer's-Farewell/id-24b56f76e53c44a798ce9fbd5942a6a4

Regarding tonight's performance of Swan Lake.

[font=Verdana][size=2]

"But Thursday will also be the last time, he says, that he dances a full-length ballet"

[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3]

This is not incredibly surprising to me, but terribly disappointing. I will cherish tonight even more than I thought.

[/size][/font]

#29 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

Wow - his last full-length ballet. Hard to believe. I look forward to reading the reports.

#30 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

I can't find the comment back, but some noticed that Susan Jaffee missed Corella's last performance. Especially odd as she was in town earlier to play the Queen Mother in Swan Lake. It was just announced that she will be the new dean at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts:

http://www.dancemaga...nce-glance/4519

So, I'm wondering if she had to be in North Carolina for final interviews. The timing is about right for today's announcement. I can't think of any excuse less significant that would justify her absence, especially as I understand he partnered her Giselle in her retirement performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):