Raymonda la scala

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 EricHG31

EricHG31

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

The Kirov/K Sergeyev version I know best is the one with Irina Kolpokova from the early 80s I believe (not the earlier film with her)--it was the first ballet video I ever bought (I now have the DVD), so holds a huge special place in my heart. I do think it has a fairly complete and imprssive Act III--the only thing I really miss and wish they would add is the charming Cinderella bit (it's so short--why not? Posted Image), and some of the mime like during Little Red's bit. I admit I also miss odd, but charming details from the reconstruction like Carabosse being at the wedding. I love that they still do the Hop O' My Thumb divertissement, though (I don't think any other current production I know of--aside from the reconstruction of course--does it, and I always like when they have these brief kids numbers--Mere Gignon in Nutcracker reminds me of it too.) I know there's always the temptation to cut the divertissements--it's late in the night, etc--ABT's production feels like the wedding is a rush job--but by that point of the night, personally, I like to relax and just watch the final dances.

I have the "official" Bolshoi book of Sleeping Beauty (I have a similar book for Raymonda), that was released from some Soviet/American publisher (along with a number of other volumes I never found). Grigorovich explains his production, and he obviously put a lot of thought behind it-=-he felt that it was important to include bits like the spinning women at the top of Act I. I actually don't mind his staging--it's one of the better of the Grigorovich reconstructions, but before the redesign anyway (which I'm not all sold on) it did have horrible wigs, and Virsaladze, who did lovely designs for the Kirov's, does a much more abstract design here (which seemed to be what Grigorovich always got him to do--his work on his ballets is far more abstract than in Leningrad). He does include Cinderella (or did--I can't remember if she's in the new production), though no Hop O' My Thumb.

The vision scene in the reconstruction makes a lot more sense than in Sergeyev's version. The choreography is often similar, but in the original it's clear that the naids (or whatever they're meant to be Posted Image ) are always getting in the way and keeping the Prince just out of reach of Aurora.

#32 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hop O' My Thumb is one fairy tale I did not grow up with. I know what you are talking about b/c I have seen it in the final act of Sleeping Beauty in different performances, but I had never heard of that fairy tale until I watched Sleeping Beauty. But I agree that it is nice to see the children get dancing roles even slight ones.

I love seeing the Vaganova children during the famous Waltz before Aurora comes out. How beautiful is that?????

#33 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

. The choreography is often similar, but in the original it's clear that the naids (or whatever they're meant to be Posted Image ) are always getting in the way and keeping the Prince just out of reach of Aurora.

Makes you wonder whyPosted Image

#34 EricHG31

EricHG31

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

I grew up with bilingually--with a lot of the La Fontaine and Perrault fairy tales, but had to find, as a kid, both Hop O' My Thumb and the Blue Bird fairy tales after first watching Sleeping Beauty as a teen. With Hop, it seemed like it was Tom Thumb mixed with Jack and the Beanstalk--but the divertissement is done so well that any kid would understand what the basis of the plot is.

Birdsall--completely agree with you about the Garland Waltz done with kids.

#35 EricHG31

EricHG31

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

. The choreography is often similar, but in the original it's clear that the naids (or whatever they're meant to be Posted Image ) are always getting in the way and keeping the Prince just out of reach of Aurora.

To entice him further to go with Lilac and wake her up?

#36 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

To entice him further to go with Lilac and wake her up?

"She's now your 'Look but please, don't touch her' type"...but just for now if you follow close instructions by the plumed one.."

#37 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

So I had never seen a full version of Raymonda (only clips on Youtube and the Dancer's Dream Documentary) and decided that had to be remedied. I bought this version with Novikova (and I understand it is a reconstruction) and loved it! I cannot believe I waited so long to see the full ballet. I really enjoyed to see the different style of tutu as well as the sets. I already was expecting the weird piano split screen during the third act variation so it didn't throw me as much, but I also wish it had not been included in such a way.

I find Novikova to be lovely and wonder if perhaps she will ever be made principal at MT...

I am about to go on a Raymonda spree this weekend, next on the list is the Kirov version with Kolpakova. I have read the comments on it so I am excited, and I do enjoy all the footage I have seen of Kolpakova thus far Posted Image

#38 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

We have seen ballets in which dancers dance different variations of the same story, ballets in which choreographers offer different interpretations of the same story, and stories in which artists present different interpretations in different media, such as books and poems made into movies, plays, and ballets with different endings.  Has anyone created a ballet in which Raymonda makes a different choice, and how is the White Lady treated in this regard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):