This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

NYCB to Expand Jewels with Sapphires

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

As reported in WSJ weekend edition: http://online.wsj.co...festyleArtEnt_4

Since you need to get thru the paywall to see the article, here's the summary. Sapphires will be a tribute to August Bournonville. Peter Martins will choreograph the ballet to a comissioned score by the Danish composer Louise Alenius based on Balanchine's blueprint of the ballet discovered at NYCB archive. The expanded Jewels will premier during the spring 2013 season with a completely new sets and costumes.

Sapphires will be performed after the first intermission, the order of the new Jewels will be Emeralds - intermission - Sapphires - pause - Rubies - intermission - Diamonds. I don't have much confidents in Martines, if Sapphires turns out to be a dud, it is hard to avoid if you don't want to miss Rubies.

Althought Balanchine Trust owns the rights to Jewels and it objects to the tinkering of the ballet, the Trust does not own the rights to the word "jewels", and as long as NYCB performs the original 3 sections to the Trust's standard, there is not much the Trust can do to stop NYCB calling the expanded Jewels "Jewels".

#2 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

As reported in WSJ weekend edition: http://online.wsj.co...festyleArtEnt_4

Since you need to get thru the paywall to see the article, here's the summary. Sapphires will be a tribute to August Bournonville. Peter Martins will choreograph the ballet to a comissioned score by the Danish composer Louise Alenius based on Balanchine's blueprint of the ballet discovered at NYCB archive. The expanded Jewels will premier during the spring 2013 season with a completely new sets and costumes.

Sapphires will be performed after the first intermission, the order of the new Jewels will be Emeralds - intermission - Sapphires - pause - Rubies - intermission - Diamonds. I don't have much confidents in Martines, if Sapphires turns out to be a dud, it is hard to avoid if you don't want to miss Rubies.

Althought Balanchine Trust owns the rights to Jewels and it objects to the tinkering of the ballet, the Trust does not own the rights to the word "jewels", and as long as NYCB performs the original 3 sections to the Trust's standard, there is not much the Trust can do to stop NYCB calling the expanded Jewels "Jewels".

I love a good April Fool's. Well done (he said, hoping against hope that this isn't true...)!

#3 Kerry1968

Kerry1968

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Haha! That's a good one.

#4 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

The version of the story I saw gave the title as "Cubit Zirconia." Clarification, someone?

#5 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

The version of the story I saw gave the title as "Cubit Zirconia." Clarification, someone?

Well if there's anything encased in plastic (to paraphrase Gelsey Kirkland on B's Coppelia), it's Martins's choreography.

#6 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Oh man, I totally believed this as I read it, having forgotten it was April fools, and nearly went into cardiac arrest. That is a cruel joke!

#7 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Oh man, I totally believed this as I read it, having forgotten it was April fools,

Me too...and because I don't know anything about all that stuff of rights and Trusts and whatever else, I admit having been foolished. Actually, if the rights issue would turned out to be just as the OP states, and Martins would come out with the idea, crazy as it is...would anyone here miss the Premiere, even if attending was a mere matter of curiosity...?

#8 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

Oh wow, that was an excellent April Fools because it is so entirely plausible!

#9 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

Actually, if the rights issue would turned out to be just as the OP states, and Martins would come out with the idea, crazy as it is...would anyone here miss the Premiere, even if attending was a mere matter of curiosity...?

Yes, if I was in New York I'd skip it for sure, presuming the Martins addition wouldn't be up to standard even of Diamonds, and not wanting to see the whole Balanchine work weakened by the insertion.

Thanks for the laugh, mussel. Posted Image For those who missed it, NPR's April Fool's Day story this year, replete with comments from Alan Gilbert, was on the discovery of Beethoven's 10th!

#10 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

What made this so effective is the fact that Balanchine reportedly did consider a section on "Sapphires."

http://www.nytimes.c...ter-review.html

https://www.balletme...allet-notes/175

In the beginning, there was also talk of a "sapphire" section of the ballet to music by Schoenberg, but the idea was put aside after a while. "After all," Balanchine remarked in an interview, "what is the colour of sapphires?" Some dance writers have also concluded that the sapphire section was also problematic because blue is a difficult color to translate into stage lighting. There may have also been a fear that the red, white and blue of rubies, diamonds and sapphires would have come dangerously close to the patriotic theme seen in Balanchine's 1958 ballet Stars and Stripes.

#11 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

What made this so effective is the fact that Balanchine reportedly did consider a section on "Sapphires."

http://www.nytimes.c...ter-review.html

https://www.balletme...allet-notes/175

In the beginning, there was also talk of a "sapphire" section of the ballet to music by Schoenberg, but the idea was put aside after a while. "After all," Balanchine remarked in an interview, "what is the colour of sapphires?" Some dance writers have also concluded that the sapphire section was also problematic because blue is a difficult color to translate into stage lighting. [...]

Thanks for the links! I've heard this said about blue many times, yet year after year companies all over the world do blue just fine in Balanchine's Serenade.

#12 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

The "Sapphires" section was supposed to be for Melissa Hayden and Arthur Mitchell. When it was dropped, Hayden took that as a sign that she wasn't important to Balanchine anymore. She had been often his second choice, anyway, either as a substitute for dancers who had become ill or injured before his premieres, like for Titania in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" or taking over Tallchief's roles when new ones were made for the dancer.

My first thought reading this was that Hayden's spirit would be awakened by this news.

#13 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

After watching this topic develop yesterday I went to a local performance featuring a restored Klavihorn, which is an early version of a synthesizer, and when the lecture-demonstration of the instrument verged on the metaphysical (is something that you can program capable of thought) I began to think that perhaps it too was an April Fool's Day hoax!

#14 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

One of my favorite musical April Fool's Day hoaxes was in Robertson Davies' novel "Lyre of Orpheus", in which the young, contemporary composer Hulda Schnakenburg composed a piece in which the tenor's larynx was constricted with, if I remember correctly, duct tape, and many didn't notice the date on which the piece was performed.

#15 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

At the Diaghilev/Balanchine celebratory exhibition at the Harvard Theater Library in Cambridge in 2009, there were mock-ups of sets, and several descriptions of designs for "Sapphires." So there was considerably more than "talk."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):