• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

How does it compare with the Covent Garden Royal Ballet's mime sequences? I feel that dvd has a lot of mime that explains more. I find it a charming production too and hope Miami's is just as charming.

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

When you see the Bolshoi reconstruction, or even other productions-(BT New Yorkers can probably account for it)-you will see way more people onstage. MCB is a small company...after a while you start knowing each and every one of the faces. Sometimes a same face gets to be a Mazurka dancer in Act I, one of Swannilda's friends in Act II and probably one of the Hours of the Waltz in Act III. The realization is more obvious when there are dancers you tend to follow, or if they have a distinctive mark-(like the Esty Twins...they can't hide! Posted Image ). Still, I applaud the way the fill the stage, which never really looks empty. (Hint...are they pulling the props in a way they get to occupy more space, hence covering for the lack of more dancers...? I am under that impression ever since Giselle...Posted Image )

BB...I haven't seen the staging you mention, so I can't answer your question, but yes, here the mime is charming, funny, non mannered at all and very credible. Two thumbs up! Posted Image .

Still ahead, Albertson/Cerdeiro...

#18 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Casting is up for the West Palm Beach Coppelias by MCB! 4 different casts! That is interesting!

Friday night Delgado/Penteado
Saturday matinee Albertson/Cerdeiro
Saturday night Kronenberg/Reyes
Sunday matinee Catoya/ Rebello

Love the idea of Rebello!!!! Maybe I will try to catch that one along with my Friday subscription!

#19 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

Casting is up for the West Palm Beach Coppelias by MCB! 4 different casts! That is interesting!

Friday night Delgado/Penteado
Saturday matinee Albertson/Cerdeiro
Saturday night Kronenberg/Reyes
Sunday matinee Catoya/ Rebello

Love the idea of Rebello!!!! Maybe I will try to catch that one along with my Friday subscription!

Kronenberg/Reyes..? WOW...that IS weird. I don't remember having seen her dancing any "couple ballet" with anybody but her husband...

Rebello's Franz is an EXCELLENT idea. I might see that...Posted Image

#20 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

I loved Jeannette Delgado and Penteado as Swanilda and Franz! Delgado always seems so natural in her acting no matter what she does, and a "happy" role fits her very well. Her dancing is always lovely. It can be dainty yet strong at the same time. This is an extroverted personality that eats up the stage and should be guesting in other companies. Others need to see this exuberant dancer. She showed great balance and even tossed in one of her signature grand jetes as she exited. That is a move she has made her own in my opinion. It embodies her dancing and personality...athletic and beautiful!

What surprised me in the Mazurka dances is that Miami City Ballet showcased the two main Mazurka males adding in some fun acrobatics. Cerdeiro did turns in second and Rebello rounding leaps around the stage (someone help me with technical term). I bought a ticket to Sunday's performance so I can see Rebello's Franz! he is short, but paired with Catoya it should work. He is amazing, so his height is the only thing holding him back. Both Cerdeiro and Rebello are impressive, although Rebello has a "snap" to his moves that impress you more.

Had such a great time! My 74 year old mother whispered to me during the overture, "Close your eyes! You can hear better!" That brought a tear to my eye. This jaded opera goer can still learn from his mother. I think I will cherish my ballet visits with her years from now.

#21 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Glad you enoyed Coppelia, bart. I'm sure you will always remember your first live Swannilda for the years to come, and I think it was great that it wasJeanette who did the honors. I totally agree with you. She NEEDS to start guesting around to be exposed to the Romantic/classical grand repertoire that MCB lacks. For some reason I think she would make for a wonderful Esmeralda. Also agree with your assesment of Rebello. I don't know if that was the case in Palm Beach, but over here they always paired him in the Mazurka with the tallest dancer of the company, Miss Manning, and he still lifted wonderfully at all times. Posted Image

Rebello rounding leaps around the stage (someone help me with technical term).

I know that as a barrel turn, which he finished over here with a great revoltade, but maybe there's a more proper name for it.

#22 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Actually I saw Coppelia years ago as a student in Gainesville, but I knew nothing about ballet back then and I have no idea who danced in it! Even though I have only become a hardcore ballet lover recently I have always gone to ballets here and there. I've even seen Spartacus in Orlando years ago. I have always gone as just a total "know nothing" and only if there was time between operas. Most of my time and energy went to opera, and I always wanted to learn more about ballet, but any time spent on ballet was considered time away from opera. Moving back to Gainesville, FL and walking away from my career threw me into a deep depression, and opera was no longer helping (opera was my crazy meds after sister died 20 years ago). So since I have no job I decided to finally take time out and really learn about ballet, and it has helped my depression considerably including doing volunteer work. I have been given some temporary projects at minimum wage and one a little more, and I am giddy with excitement! Wow! Getting a little pay! I had no idea that "not working" is actually very depressing! All my friends envy me, but there are only so many walks with the dog I can go on to cheer myself up!!! LOL I need something to keep my mind occupied, and I'm sure it will happen one day! Sorry to bore everyone with my mundane life! Nobody worry! Not going to starve! More likely to lose my mind! LOL But ballet is helping!

Manning was Rebello's partner last night too. I thought it was a perfect cast last night. My mom and I had so much fun, and I got two roses for renewing our subscription. I gave them to her!

I would love for MCB to do La Esmeralda but doubt it will happen. I think it is a rarity in the U.S. except for the tambourine variation!

#23 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Edited: double post

#24 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Glad you enoyed Coppelia, bart. I'm sure you will always remember your first live Swannilda for the years to come, and I think it was great that it wasJeanette who did the honors. I totally agree with you. She NEEDS to start guesting around to be exposed to the Romantic/classical grand repertoire that MCB lacks. For some reason I think she would make for a wonderful Esmeralda. Also agree with your assesment of Rebello. I don't know if that was the case in Palm Beach, but over here they always paired him in the Mazurka with the tallest dancer of the company, Miss Manning, and he still lifted her wonderfully at all times. Posted Image

Rebello rounding leaps around the stage (someone help me with technical term).

I know that as a barrel turn, which he finished over here with a great revoltade, but maybe there's a more proper name for it.

#25 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I would love for MCB to do La Esmeralda but doubt it will happen. I think it is a rarity in the U.S. except for the tambourine variation!

NJ Ballet has it in its repertoire, staged by AD Carolyn Clark and guest Russian ballet master Vitali Akhoundov after Bourmeister's mid century version.

#26 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

I wonder why the standard repertoire of story ballets is so small. There are a lot more story ballets that are rarely staged by professional companies. Things like Esmeralda would be great to see. I know the core repertoire is smaller than in opera, but it seems like it should be a little larger.

#27 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

I wonder why the standard repertoire of story ballets is so small. There are a lot more story ballets that are rarely staged by professional companies. Things like Esmeralda would be great to see. I know the core repertoire is smaller than in opera, but it seems like it should be a little larger.

I guess we have to see 250 "rolling on the floor" works before reluctlantly deciding to go back to the secure spots of Mr. Diagonal, right...?

#28 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

I guess we have to see 250 "rolling on the floor" works before reluctlantly deciding to go back to the secure spots of Mr. Diagonal, right...?

You made me laugh!

But I loved Symphonic Dances by Ramantsky and look forward to seeing it again! I think you liked it too, but you don't want to admit it!!!! LOL

#29 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

You made me laugh!

But I loved Symphonic Dances by Ramantsky and look forward to seeing it again! I think you liked it too, but you don't want to admit it!!!! LOL

Can't even remember now what was that about, BB..! I get confused with SD and Viscera...Posted Image

#30 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Btw, just got back from another Coppelia with Mary Carmen Catoya and Kleber Rebello. Loved it! Catoya made the Scottish dance a revelation for me! I have seen it as a filler dance that isn't that interesting, but Catoya's foot work made it into an important variation! Rebello excels at high leaps! So glad they gave him a chance at a leading role! In smaller roles he always stands out! He did a great job. Catoya is an elegant dancer! It is fun to see different dancers in the same role.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):