This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2012 City Center SeasonOctober 16-20, 2012

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#91 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

Does anyone remember when casting was announced for the 2011 season?

I just found the answer to my own question, thanks to the search function on Ballet Alert: The casting for the November 8-13, 2011 season was announced on October 12. Four weeks out - Wow! So, we should be seeing the 2012 casting about September 17, next week.

#92 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

I am not so concerned about specific casting. From all the talk about "promoting from within", etc. it seems to me that the particular rep being presented this Fall will offer an excellent opportunity for ABT to do exactly that. It's always so wonderful when a corps or even soloist member can step up and show what they can do. Don't get me wrong, I love the ABT principles and relish their performances. But it's always a pleasure to see the youngsters get a chance. Even Julie Kent was in the corps at one time.

#93 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Simkin posted some "tentative" casting regarding his roles on his website. He listed opening night (though he did not identify which ballet he would perform in) and the Friday matinee of Leaves are Fading. I have not been able to find any other info on casting,

http://www.daniilsimkin.com/

#94 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:53 AM

Simkin posted some "tentative" casting regarding his roles on his website. He listed opening night (though he did not identify which ballet he would perform in) and the Friday matinee of Leaves are Fading. I have not been able to find any other info on casting,

http://www.daniilsimkin.com/

Stars and Stripes PDD?

#95 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Casting just appeared for the CC season (and also Bard):

http://www.abt.org/c...tdate=10/1/2012

#96 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Casting just appeared for the CC season (and also Bard):

http://www.abt.org/c...tdate=10/1/2012

Two stellar casts for The Moor's Pavane.

If the cast listings mirror the cast order that always appears in programs w/ The Moor's Pavane on the bill, then the casting is as follows:

The Moor/Othello -- Gomes/Zhurbin
The Moor's Friend/Iago -- Stearns/Forster
The Moor's Wife/Desdemona -- Part/Messmer
The Friend's Wife/Emilia -- Kent/Reyes

Thoughts:

The Gomes/Stearns/Part/Kent cast is to die for.

How tall is Zhurbin? (Forster is very tall, is he not?)

Creative casting against type w/ Kent and (especially) Reyes if they are, in fact, cast as Emilia.

#97 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

I would be really surprised if Part/Messmer were not Emilia and Kent/Reyes were not Desdemona...but I guess I could wrong!

So the Ratmansky reunites Bolle/Part--great. Nice to see Marian Butler managed to keep her role in Rodeo; I thought for sure Boylston would be up for it. I also thought Boylston would be the partner of choice for Simkin in Stars and Stripes, so it's nice to see Lane get a go there.

Really hope the Moor's Pavane (with those casts) makes it out here in July. Posted Image

#98 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

I would be really surprised if Part/Messmer were not Emilia and Kent/Reyes were not Desdemona...but I guess I could wrong!

So the Ratmansky reunites Bolle/Part--great. Nice to see Marian Butler managed to keep her role in Rodeo; I thought for sure Boylston would be up for it. I also thought Boylston would be the partner of choice for Simkin in Stars and Stripes, so it's nice to see Lane get a go there.

Really hope the Moor's Pavane (with those casts) makes it out here in July. Posted Image

Agree about Lane. She was great at the Met last spring with the limited opportunities she was given.

Now that casting is up - I'm ready to buy!

#99 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

I agree that Part/Messmer as Emilia would be a more natural fit than Kent/Reyes as Emilia. But, no matter how the casting shakes out on the day, the audience benefits -- either you get the natural fit of Part/Messmer or the creative anti-casting of Kent/Reyes. ABT is casting from strength in both instances. (Would have liked to have seen Abrera cast as Emilia -- another thing for her boosters to despair about!)

Gomes is a no-brainer as The Moor/Othello -- it's a role he was born to play. Iago presents great opportunities for Stearns and Forster. For Stearns, he escapes the princely ghetto and gets to play a villainous character. For Forster, he has the chance to separate himself from the rest of the pack and show management he's ready to take on more responsibility.

Very happy about this casting. (I was expecting deranged casting [i.e. Simkin as The Moor].)

#100 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

I know that the Lar Lubovitch version is completely different from the Limon version, but I would have expected to see Abrera as Emilia and Radetsky as Iago. I believe those are roles that they had in the Lubovitch version, and I thought Radetsky, in particular, was well cast as the villain.

I'm also happy to see that Lane got Stars & Stripes. I hope she does a great job with it. I assumed that they would have given it to Kajiya.

#101 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

I know that the Lar Lubovitch version is completely different from the Limon version, but I would have expected to see Abrera as Emilia and Radetsky as Iago. I believe those are roles that they had in the Lubovitch version, and I thought Radetsky, in particular, was well cast as the villain.

I'm also happy to see that Lane got Stars & Stripes. I hope she does a great job with it. I assumed that they would have given it to Kajiya.

I also hope that ABT gets M Ashley to coach her.

#102 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Great to see Stearns cast as Iago (I assume). That's against type, in my opinion; nice challenge.

Wonderful about Lane getting Stars/Stripes.

Strange to see so many of the principals missing from the CC season (which was already announced), but at the same time I love getting to see the soloists and some corps members in more prominent roles.

#103 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

So the Ratmansky reunites Bolle/Part--great. Nice to see Marian Butler managed to keep her role in Rodeo

I thought Marian Butler had left ABT or even retired??

#104 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

It could be that Lane is the only one with the right proportions for that part in the pas where he has to step back as he promenades her in arabesque. If I remember correctly he steps away while holding her arm and there has to be room for her leg to pass. Am I remembering this right? Does anyone know what I mean?!?

#105 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Perhaps this is another instance of the handwriting being on the wall for the two of them.

I love getting to see the soloists and some corps members in more prominent roles.

Agreed although it does contribute to that odd sensation of ABT being two companies inhabiting one body.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):