This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2012 City Center SeasonOctober 16-20, 2012

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

I just received a brochure about single ticket sales for the spring 2012 Met season. It includes an announcement of the fall season at City Center, October 16-20, 2012. Nothing specific on rep, other than "an eclectic repertoire of one-act ballets."

The brochure also includes the dates for the Nutcrcacker at BAM: December 7-16, 2012.

Dates for ticket sales for both TBA.

I don't find any of this on the ABT web site yet, but perhaps soon.

#2 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I can't find that information in the brochure I received today.

Is that correct -- Nutcracker only from Dec 7-16? Only 10 days, and so early in the season?

#3 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Puzzling! The brochure I got has Firebird on the cover, "order your individual tickets today," very glossy 26 page brochure. On the inside back cover is the information about the fall and winter dates.

Yes, Nutcracker is December 7-16. No explanation for anything.

#4 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

I got the same brochure, except my inside back cover is the order form for tickets by mail.

Confused....

#5 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

I'm more disappointed by the short City Center season than the short Nutcracker run.

#6 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

I wonder if they are going to shift more of the Nutcracker run to Washington DC. I think I heard that they had a sold-out run there last year, while BAM was far from sold out. I don't see it on the Kennedy Center's website at all, but maybe it's just too early. Or maybe they'll take it on tour to other cities?
Very disappointed by the short City Center "season" too.

#7 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

I wonder if they are going to shift more of the Nutcracker run to Washington DC.

If so, not at the Kennedy Center, which presents the Ballet West version of Nutcracker next season. ABT's Nut must be traveling somewhere else in late December. (One big plus about having simple sets.)

#8 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Did everyone get CC and no one Spring? Does anyone have the gala program?

Also, I just received the NYCB brochure, offering "The Cage". Is this the same ballet that is a retelling of "Giselle" by Robbins (as per one L. Kirsten's books, I think)? I ask because the brochure only describes insects and gender battles.

#9 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

From what I've read, Robbins insistently denied any resemblance, but yes, "The Cage" is often compared to Giselle.

#10 SimonA

SimonA

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

A new Ratmansky ballet, set to Shostakovich's Ninth Symphony, will premiere at City Center on October 18. It will be the first part of a three-part Shostakovich project -- second and third parts will be presented during the Met season.

Ratmansky to create Shostakovich trilogy

#11 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

Thanks Simon. This means they will hire an orchestra this year for the City Center engagement.

#12 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

The release:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE TO PRESENT THREE-PART WORLD PREMIERE BALLET BY ALEXEI RATMANSKY SET TO SHOSTAKOVICH SYMPHONIES

NEW WORK SET TO SHOSTAKOVICH’S SYMPHONY NO. 9 TO PREMIERE THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18 AT NEW YORK CITY CENTER

SECOND AND THIRD WORKS TO PREMIERE

SPRING 2013 AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

American Ballet Theatre will premiere the first of a three-part work, choreographed by Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky and set to symphonies by Dmitri Shostakovich, during its Fall 2012 season at New York City Center, it was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. The first work, set to Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 9, will have its World Premiere on Thursday,
October 18. The second and third works, set to Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 1 and Chamber Symphony for Strings (Op. 110a) respectively, will receive their World Premieres during the Company’s 2013 Spring season at the Metropolitan Opera House. The complete trio of works will be presented as a full evening of one-act ballets during the Spring season.
Ratmansky’s World Premiere Shostakovich works will feature sets by George Tsypin and costumes by Keso Dekker. Tsypin previously designed the sets for ABT’s production of Othello, choreographed by Lar Lubovitch in 1997. Dekker designed Ratmansky’s Souvenir d’un Lieu Cher celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Dutch National Ballet in March of this year.
American Ballet Theatre performs at New York City Center
October 16-20, 2012. Repertory and ticket information to be announced.

#13 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the new info! I'm surprised ABT is taking such a big risk on a triple bill at the Met-especially considering the somewhat muted response to the Firebird given the amount of publicity, but bravo. And Firebird was something we were all clamoring to see Ratmasky's take.

Also--I'm glad this topic was bumped up as I've got another tibit, and I didn't know where to put it: I was browsing the Antony Tudor Trust website the other day and it says ABT will be doing Leaves are Fading in Fall 2012 (assumingly at City Center). http://www.antonytud.../news/news.html

#14 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

Leaves are Fading and new Ratmansky to Shostakovich--sounds like a very interesting City Center season.

I was thinking of trying to visit D.C. in October to see the Ratmansky Cinderella, but I gather it's the same week and a new Ratmansky to Shostakovich (plus Tudor) may be more tempting...

#15 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

ksk04, thanks for that fine detective work about the Leaves are Fading. This is looking like an excellent fall season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):