This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2012 City Center Season

I'm not sure how to interpret the statement that it was their best box office year. They raised prices, and dynamic ticket pricing was applicable to a lot of performances. Based on these factors, they were making more money per ticket sold than in any prior year, but was attendance up too? I'm happy they are making money,and I enjoy seeing all these guest artists. I'm just trying to understand the mathematics, facts and figures on this.

Yours definitely seems the more sophisticated approach....and one assumes that all the factors are interrelated in some complex mathematical formula that may or may not lead to still more complicated or expensive pricing schemes.

I am also puzzled by the optimism about the sales figures. So they took in more than last year, but what were their expenses? How much did they lose on very poorly attended The Bright Stream and Firebird? How much did they pay Osipova, Vasiliev, Vishneva, Semionova, Cojocaru, et al.? To decide if it was worth it we need to have the whole picture, not just the gross receipts.

As my accountant used to say about a client of his, He lost money on every item but he made it up on the volume :)

Could be the same story with ABT. Hope not.

I would also like to reiterate the plea for any info on casting, as I have never in my life bought a ballet ticket without knowing who will (supposedly) be dancing the parts that were important to me, and I am not going to start now - I'm just too old for that :)

Thanks in advance everybody and best regards from the unbearably hot and humid New York. I wish it were October already :)

I am also puzzled by the optimism about the sales figures. So they took in more than last year, but what were their expenses? How much did they lose on very poorly attended The Bright Stream and Firebird? How much did they pay Osipova, Vasiliev, Vishneva, Semionova, Cojocaru, et al.? To decide if it was worth it we need to have the whole picture, not just the gross receipts.

As my accountant used to say about a client of his, He lost money on every item but he made it up on the volume smile.png

Could be the same story with ABT. Hope not.

I would also like to reiterate the plea for any info on casting, as I have never in my life bought a ballet ticket without knowing who will (supposedly) be dancing the parts that were important to me, and I am not going to start now - I'm just too old for that smile.png

Thanks in advance everybody and best regards from the unbearably hot and humid New York. I wish it were October already smile.png

I don't know where you get that firebird was poorly attended. True the first performance I saw was the opening night, but it was not poorly attended. I also saw it once during the second run and it was a close to sold out house.

Ditto the second night of Firebird (the McKenzie tribute) and the following Thursday (the first double-bill w/ The Dream): both heavily attended.

Apropos ABT's income reports: another blog, where rules of civility and common courtesy seem not to apply as they do here, insults "ballet alert" readers for our apparent willingness to accept ABT's version of their financial situation. Very distasteful.

Ditto the second night of Firebird (the McKenzie tribute) and the following Thursday (the first double-bill w/ The Dream): both heavily attended.

Apropos ABT's income reports: another blog, where rules of civility and common courtesy seem not to apply as they do here, insults "ballet alert" readers for our apparent willingness to accept ABT's version of their financial situation. Very distasteful.

Golden Idol, I just responded and hopefully showed that we are "alert" enough to thoughtfully interpret ABT's financial reports. I think the blogger may have actually been implying that we ballet alert fans, rather than the larger core ballet audience, may be the ones who are best equipped question and dissect ABT's decision making, etc., but you can read it both ways. I dunno!

Apparently I was the one who got this discussion going, so I went back to look at what I said.

Given the well-publicized financial woes of NYCB, MCB, and so many other companies. I'd rather see them err on the side of economy in costumes, if needed. The cover letter with that pamphlet reports that the Met season "box office income was the highest in history at $13.3 million, $147,000 over our 2012 goal and $243,000 more than last year." They don't say anything about the overall budget situation, but perhaps we'll hear more later.

I made a point of saying we don't know "anything about the overall budget situation, but perhaps we'll hear more later." At least we weren't getting end-of-fiscal-year pleas to match a $150K gift, as we were repeatedly from NYCB. ABT did exceed their own goal for the Met season, and let's hope they have people keeping track of budget along the way. I don't recall seeing any ABT tickets for sale at the TDF half-price site, although many NYCB performances were listed this spring, and perhaps ABT/the Met has a policy of not using TDF (I don't know). It will be interesting to see the final budget report from ABT, though.

1. I did not receive the recent or prior City Center brochures. I subscribed to the Met season this year and bought Met tickets the year before I subscribed. Who gets the CC brochures?

2. Do the brochures really say tickets are on sale NOW? CC said they are not on sale.

3. Does anyone have info on the Annandale show?

1. I did not receive the recent or prior City Center brochures. I subscribed to the Met season this year and bought Met tickets the year before I subscribed. Who gets the CC brochures?

2. Do the brochures really say tickets are on sale NOW? CC said they are not on sale.

I just got the same information (with the same photos) by e-mail. It says (as does the print brochure) that on-line and phone ticket sales start Monday, July 23, with the box office opening September 4.

I don't know why I got either one. I'm a Friend and have bought many tickets in recent years for the Met, but have never subscribed. (You can't pick out seats with a subscription, and there's no reasonable way to exchange tickets at the box office unless you live in New York. I've always found there's a great selection in all sections if you wait until early April when single tickets go on sale.)

I haven't heard anything about Annandale.

City Center will be open for business on July 23. During that entire week (through July 28) City Center is presenting Uncle Vanya as part of Lincoln Center Festival. The fact that the box office will in fact be open, but they will not sell ABT tickets, is maddening. It's a ploy by City Center to make money from telephone and internet handling fees from people who want to buy tickets before Sept. 4.

California, TDF only very occasionally had ABT tickets available this spring/summer, usually for Wednesday mats or a night when the casting was, well, let's just say not what it might be. Yes, NYCB was on TDF quite often throughout the past year, and frequently on weekends! On a related point, I was surprised last summer when the Danes popped up on TDF, and this year the Australians, too, but NOT the Paris Opera Ballet, which as I'm sure everyone here knows, sold like hotcakes--no discounts available anywhere, that I could tell.

(And apropos POB, when a few weeks ago the Lincoln Center website said there were no tickets for Giselle under $95, I went to the box office and was able to get a nice rear orchestra seat for $65--so if any of you out there want to try for the remaining perfs, try doing it in person at the b.o.)

The programs have been posted on the ABT website, linked below

http://www.abt.org/c...tdate=10/1/2012

I am very disappointed to see that The Leaves are Fading is only being performed twice - and one performance is on a Friday matinee. That is one ballet that definitely rewards repeated viewing.

Edited to add: And that single evening performance is on the same night as the Stars of the 21st Century Gala! smilie_mondieu.gif

ABT doesn't do Bard every year, and they performed there last November. They'll be in Barcelona late October. The ABT calendar shows no performances in November at all. The Fisher Center's calendar only goes up to August 2012. I wish they did go to Annandale-on-Hudson every year. The house is packed, the tickets are cheap, and the seating is great! The Bard campus is gorgeous with rolling lawns, stunning fall colours, grazing deer, and bucolic views.

ABT doesn't do Bard every year, and they performed there last November. They'll be in Barcelona late October. The ABT calendar shows no performances in November at all. The Fisher Center's calendar only goes up to August 2012. I wish they did go to Annandale-on-Hudson every year. The house is packed, the tickets are cheap, and the seating is great! The Bard campus is gorgeous with rolling lawns, stunning fall colours, grazing deer, and bucolic views.

In the original announcement of the City Center season, it is mentioned that the revival premiere of The Moor's Pavane will be on October 5 2012 at the Fisher Center.

Anyone have ideas about the pricing for the tickets?

Tickets just went on sale on-line. Here's a copy-paste of the price list from the CC site:

Prime Orchestra $135.00 Orchestra Front Sides $115.00 Orchestra Rear Aisle $115.00 Orchestra Rear Sides $90.00 Grand Tier, Center $135.00 Grand Tier, Sides $115.00 Grand Tier, PARTIAL VIEW [unavailable] Front Mezzanine, Rows A-B $85.00 Front Mezzanine, Center/Aisle $85.00 Front Mezzanine, Sides 1 $65.00 Front Mezzanine, Sides 2 $45.00 Front Mezzanine, PARTIAL VIEW [unavailable] Rear Mezzanine, Center $65.00 Rear Mezzanine, Sides/Center $45.00 Balcony, Center, Rows A-C $45.00 Balcony, Center/Sides 1 $35.00 Balcony, Center/Sides 2 $30.00 Balcony, Rear Sides $20.00 ADA - Orchestra 1 $135.00 ADA - Orchestra 2 $115.00 ADA - Grand Tier [unavailable] ADA - Mezzanine 1 $85.00 ADA - Mezzanine 2 $65.00

Anyone have ideas about the pricing for the tickets?

Tickets just went on sale on-line. Here's a copy-paste of the price list from the CC site:

Prime Orchestra $135.00 Orchestra Front Sides $115.00 Orchestra Rear Aisle $115.00 Orchestra Rear Sides $90.00 Grand Tier, Center $135.00 Grand Tier, Sides $115.00 Grand Tier, PARTIAL VIEW [unavailable] Front Mezzanine, Rows A-B $85.00 Front Mezzanine, Center/Aisle $85.00 Front Mezzanine, Sides 1 $65.00 Front Mezzanine, Sides 2 $45.00 Front Mezzanine, PARTIAL VIEW [unavailable] Rear Mezzanine, Center $65.00 Rear Mezzanine, Sides/Center $45.00 Balcony, Center, Rows A-C $45.00 Balcony, Center/Sides 1 $35.00 Balcony, Center/Sides 2 $30.00 Balcony, Rear Sides $20.00 ADA - Orchestra 1 $135.00 ADA - Orchestra 2 $115.00 ADA - Grand Tier [unavailable] ADA - Mezzanine 1 $85.00 ADA - Mezzanine 2 $65.00

Additional charges when you buy on-line (per ticket):

Facility Fee: $2.00

Service Fee: $6.00

Handling Fee: $8.00

I just bought some and chose print-at-home, so that's where I got these.

I logged back in after I'd bought mine to see what things looked like -- the best seats are going very, very fast. I had one question and tried calling the box office number, but was on hold for 20 minutes, while I was working on the web site and gave up on the phone.

Hi,

so I haven't been to City Center for very many years. Back in the early 90's I would sit in the front row and I was able to see everything, including feet, despite the fact that I was looking up a little.

This year is a big B'day for me, and my gift to me is to trek up to NY from DC to City Center. I wanted to do this mostly because City Center is (used to be I guess ) one of those cool more intimate places that you can/ could sit right in front, unobstructed and see feet, faces and every other nuance. And of course, you get to see some up and coming and/or lower profile dancers perform. Win, win and win!

So my question is, even though I might be looking up, will I still be able to see the bottom half of the dancers including feet? I would appreciate it if anybody could shed a bit more light on the seating after renovations. My concern with the balcony is that I will not be as close as I would love to be. This is my pure indulgence!

Replies are very much appreciated!

Just wanted to briefly note that the seats I warned against earlier (from my experience at an Encores! performance) in fact comprise the orchestra pit for ballet performances at City Center.

Got my seats today for Fall ABT. While nothing in row "A" center Grand Tier was available for any performance (I'm wondering if these seats are held out for patrons, etc), I did get row "A" just off the aisle. Having sat there to see "Uncle Vanya" just this past weekend, I'm sure they will be fine. And I'm wondering if casting matters all that much with this particular rep that they're doing. All the ballets save "Moor's Pavanne" and possibly the new Ratmansky make much use of the corps anyway.