This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yuhui Choe in conversation

Thank you Helene and Rock.

I have admired Miss Choe for some time and the reality of her day, with the need to concentrate her focus on both physical condition and her energy, must have surprised a good number of Guardian readers unfamiliar with the rigours of being a ballet dancer.

A real charmer, as well as being lovely. flowers.gif It would have been interesting if they had allowed us to see more of her when she was actually dancing.

The only thing that struck me as unlikely was the relative absence of personnel and clutter in the hallways and other spaces. Love the ceiling in the smaller Fonteyn Studio.

leonid, I can see why you admire Ms. Choe. What is it, especially, about her dancing in performance that caught your eye?

P.S. Ms. Choe's Royal Ballet biography, including a list of her roles, is here:

http://www.roh.org.u...ail.aspx?id=829

The biography page includes a link to the YouTube edition of the video. There are already over 281,000 clicks.

A real charmer, as well as being lovely. flowers.gif It would have been interesting if they had allowed us to see more of her when she was actually dancing.

The only thing that struck me as unlikely was the relative absence of personnel and clutter in the hallways and other spaces. Love the ceiling in the smaller Fonteyn Studio.

leonid, I can see why you admire Ms. Choe. What is it, especially, about her dancing in performance that caught your eye?

P.S. Ms. Choe's Royal Ballet biography, including a list of her roles, is here:

http://www.roh.org.u...ail.aspx?id=829

The biography page includes a link to the YouTube edition of the video. There are already over 281,000 clicks.

For me Yuhui Choi is much more than simply a clean and neat technician, she is also musically and physically expressive often becoming the role in a manner that the choreographer might have dreamed of.

As the girl in, “The Lesson” she showed that she could bring the right weight to every moment of her dancing and acting and was also poignant, a quality not always achieved in the role.

In the Swan Lake “pas de trois” she showed a joyous vivacity in the Nocturne in “Les Sylphides” her phrasing was exquisite performed with an extraordinary lightness. In the first variation of the Florestan pas de trois she retained perfect classicism and had simply classical beauty as Princess Florine. Delightful as Lise in “Fille mal Gardee”, young enough make her behaviour acceptable and with a steely lightness of attack as she floated through the choreography. Both desperately touching and funny, as “Cinderella.”

I have found Miss Choi to be well schooled rather in the manner that one found in young Kirov dancers of the past with a beautiful carriage of the arms that flow through the positions of the choreography in an elegant expressive flow.

I looked on you tube for suitable clips of her dancing and regrettably found them mostly disappointing.