MakarovaFan

Swan Lake Score Question

2 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding the music for the Act II PDD of Swan Lake. In the Kirov dvd of the Metzenzeva performance there is a harp cadenza that I've never heard on any other recording. I also heard the cadenza in a Swan Lake Kirov performance at the Met in the '90's. Did Tchaikovsky compose it or did someone else did? Thanks in advance!

I have a question regarding the music for the Act II PDD of Swan Lake. In the Kirov dvd of the Metzenzeva performance there is a harp cadenza that I've never heard on any other recording. I also heard the cadenza in a Swan Lake Kirov performance at the Met in the '90's. Did Tchaikovsky compose it or did someone else did? Thanks in advance!

I think maybe that extended harp cadenza is a Soviet-era addition because in productions that are closer to the original Petipa/Ivanov 1895 version, Tchaikovsky's original harp cadenza is used.

Also, here is a copy of the Act II PDD score in piano reduction from the 1895 version:

http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/7/77/IMSLP86210-SIBLEY1802.13480.3cdc-39087012871531piano_pp_81-end.pdf