This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Lichine's "Graduation Ball. Miami, Ballet Etudes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

Lichine's tribute to "Giselle" and "La Sylphide"..! Posted Image

#18 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

This was still a staple of ABT's rep when I started going to the ballet in the mid-1970s. The company used it to give chances to up-and-coming young dancers, as there are about a dozen very good small roles. It was a staple of the Danish repertory, too.

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Good news comes in threes, it seems. One after another, I open-up posts about exciting, historical repertoire being highlighted in a few corners of the globe. First, Sarasota Ballet's Ashtons. Then the Queen of Denmark designing costumes to replace those of a modern Nutcracker. Now this...and I, too, am a fan of Graduation Ball and Munecos. Yes, there is hope for traditional ballet in the world.

#20 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Thanks. Mme. Hermine for posting that Matz Skoog clip. I am not trying to be patriotic here because Matz is a Swede (he started his training at the Stockholm Opera ballet school), but because his Drummer was real good, second best to Flemming Flindt I would think. I am not sure but I think Skoog moved to New Zealand. Come to think of it, I will have another look at that clip now before turning in for the night. That is what I call a fine end to another cold and windy day here...

#21 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

I must have seen "Graduation Ball" at least 10 or 12 times. It was one of those lighthearted ballets full of charm that it in England seem to have gone out of fashion.

Festival Ballet had a pretty decent repertoire of one act ballets at one time and was always a refreshing change to the Royal Ballet when they gave a season in London.

#22 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Thanks, Mme. Hermine, for bringing a smile into the day with the youtube of Matz Skoog Posted Image

#23 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Posted Image

#24 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

BTW the pdd was jay jolley and manola asensio. :)

#25 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I thought that this was a really good advertisement for "Graduation Ball" at Teatro Colon. I think it is aimed at children. I also think that they are using the melodies from Johann Strauss illustrated by clips from the production to help sell the ballet. It looks as if it is a really popular production.

#26 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Some highlights of GB...(oh, how I wish I could ever see this ballet again...! Posted Image )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):