This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

RB to "open doors" for a day on Youtube (March 23)

ksk04

From The Ballet Bag:

http://www.theballetbag.com/2012/03/15/rblive-the-royal-ballet-behind-the-scenes/

On 23 March, the Royal Opera House will offer an unprecedented glimpse behind the scenes at The Royal Ballet.

A full working day will be streamed live on The Royal Opera House YouTube channel as well as the Guardian website. Live rehearsals and interviews will be interspersed with backstage films to offer an inside look at the ballet world, marking the first time a ballet company has opened its doors in such a way. The aim of the day is to show the work and dedication that go into The Royal Ballet’s performances.

Royal Ballet Live will be presented by George Lamb and Royal Ballet Soloist Kristen McNally. Between them, they will have exclusive access to the Company, and audiences will be encouraged to tweet questions using the hashtag #RBLive.

Streaming will start just before daily class at 10.30am and run right through the day until 7.45pm. The day will feature rehearsals from such works as Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Romeo and Juliet, plus the opportunity to see ballets in the process of being created by Liam Scarlett and Wayne McGregor ahead of their world premieres on 5 April. Waynewill round off the evening working with dancers on his new ballet Carbon Life, for which musician and producer Mark Ronson has written the music. In addition, viewers on www.guardian.co.uk will also be able to watch a 2010 performance from his piece Chroma.

Highlights will be available on the Royal Opera House YouTube channel the day after the event, when the entire day will also be restreamed on YouTube.

Sounds very interesting. Unfortunately, I will probably have to mostly settle for the highlights due to the time delay.

There is now a schedule of what will be streaming of the ROH's Youtube channel. (http://www.youtube.c...se?feature=mhee)

On Friday 23 March, we’ll offer you a peek into life behind the scenes at The Royal Ballet.

You’ll be able to watch ballet rehearsals as well as interviews with top dancers and international choreographers streamed live on our YouTube channel. The day will round off with a live Insights Evening in which Wayne McGregor and Mark Ronson will talk about a new dance piece they’ve been working on together.

Join us on 23 March for a very special look at the work and dedication that go into The Royal Ballet’s performances.

Event Schedule

• DAILY CLASS
    Including interviews with Jonathan Cope and Kristen McNally 10:30AM
  • Wayne McGregor
    Interview 11:35AM
  • ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND
    Rehearsal 12:00PM
  • Dancers
    Interview 12:30PM
  • Monica Mason
    Interview 13:05PM
  • PRINCE OF PAGODAS
    Rehearsal 13:20PM
  • Marianella Nuñez
    Interview 13:50PM
  • Barry Wordsworth and Rob Clark
    Interview 13:55PM
  • POLYPHONIA
    Rehearsal 14:00PM
  • Dancers
    Interview 14:30PM
  • STREET STORIES. Education Project with East London Dance Students
    Rehearsal 15:15PM
  • ROMEO AND JULIET
    Rehearsal 16:10PM
  • Dancers
    Interview 16:50PM
  • NEW SCARLETT
    Rehearsal 17:00PM
  • Liam Scarlett
    Interview 17:30PM
  • Carbon Life Including interviews with Wayne McGregor and Mark Ronson
    Insights Public Event

Times of course correspond to London, so conversion will be necessary for us in America.

I don't know if this topic should be moved to the Video thread, so people have a place to discuss if they are tuning in?

The ROH Twitter says they will be re-streaming the whole day directly after the Carbon Life Insight Event is finished for those in other countries who would probably miss the start of the day.

This is great as I definitely wanted to watch company class plus the Prince of Pagoda/Polyphonia rehearsals.

The re-stream of the day should be starting when the Insight Evening ends--guessing in about 30-45mins or so. Or 12:30-1 pm PST EDIT: The Youtube channels says 9 pm GMT, so 2 pm PST for me. Been fairly interesting so far, I caught the R&J rehearsal which was all sword fighting, and then the Sweet Violet rehearsal which looks killer (literally). Wish I was in London to see the final product; Leeanne Cope and Thiago Soares look fab together.

Right now Wayne McGregor is rehearsing his new work--he has an...interesting way of "describing" steps. I'm not sure I would be able to take repeated rehearsals with all of his noises.

I also missed it; the 23rd was a working day which went until after 10 pm, so... no go. :/

There appear to be a few videos on their site which show highlights, which I have watched and thoroughly enjoyed. At least there is something! :D

Maybe they will post more as time goes by?!

-d-