7 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

Sergei Polunin talks to the BBC about his departure from the Royal and long term plans.

Polunin says that his next aim is to become a successful actor, something he says he first began to consider seriously after being promoted to principal at the end of the 2009-10 Royal Ballet season:

"When I became a principal at the Royal Ballet it was my childhood goal, a dream and I became it at 19. And then I said 'what's next?' and I set myself a different goal at 19 to become an actor...."

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Children's Dance Theatre presents "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

Well, Shakespeare didn't actually write for the ballet. But choreographer George Balanchine in 1962 adapted the play for the ballet stage, using music composed by Felix Mendelssohn.

Despite the combination of big names — Shakespeare, Mendelssohn, Balanchine — the ballet version of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is not frequently performed. "It takes a lot of people to pull it off," Fields said.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

The Grand Rapids Ballet Company presents works by six choreographers.

With guest choreographer Olivier Wevers and others from Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids Ballet Company’s Patricia Barker is out to prove it.

GRBC opens “Movemedia,” a two-concert series highlighting work of contemporary choreographers from near and far.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

The Universal Ballet Company performs in Johannesburg.

It is Universal Ballet’s vision “Heavenly Art Creating a World of Beauty” that is the motivation and driving spirit of this tour. Our firm belief is that through the art of ballet we can make this world a more beautiful and better place. In order to share the beauty of classical ballet with people around the world, we have embarked on a three-year world tour from 2011.

While we were planning this tour, we sent out many inquiries to theatres and arts promoters. Bernard Jay, the director of the Joburg Theatre, was very impressed with Universal Ballet’s artistic level and invited us to perform there as part of the tour. We strongly recommended that we perform Shim Chung, but Jay preferred Swan Lake this time because Universal Ballet is not well-known to South African audiences.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

Cecile Licad, Lea Salonga, and Lisa Macuja will appear together.

The Legends & The Classics: A Gathering of Icons is a rare “combination concert” that brings these three artists together for two nights on one stage. Ms. Macuja, Ballet Manila artistic director, is producing the show in order to fulfill a dream, one that was someone else’s before becoming her own.

The story began three years ago, when Katrina Legarda, a lawyer and women’s rights advocate, invited Ms. Macuja via e-mail to participate in a charity event along with Mmes. Salonga and Licad. “My answering was a resounding ‘yes.’ But that was that and I didn’t hear about it again,” said Ms. Macuja during a press conference.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

An omnibus review discussing the current detente between ballet and modern dance by Robert Gottlieb in The New York Observer.

Times changed, passions subsided, and brute necessity prevailed. Twyla Tharp set her sights on ballet, and ballet, hungry for major talent, succumbed. But equally important was the need of ballet dancers to have somewhere to go when their classical technique began to give way to crumbling knees and hips. Nureyev and Fonteyn fooled around with Graham; more seriously, post-ballet Baryshnikov invested his genius in Mark Morris and other major (and minor) modernists; and today it's hardly news when an ex-ballerina or -ballerino appears with a modern company. It's comparable to the way fading movie stars in the '50s recharged their careers by slumming, and triumphing, on previously despised television: Loretta Young, Fred MacMurray, Robert Young, Barbara Stanwyck, Donna Reed.

This past week brought us three examples of this forced marriage.......

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

A review of the Stephen Petronio Company by Martha Sherman for danceviewtimes.

In a star turn between the two group works, Wendy Whelan performed a version of the 2003 solo, “Ethersketch I,” beautifully danced but frustratingly brief. Her perfect dancer’s form embraced Petronio’s technique, what he described as “painting with energy in space… how we define and inhabit our world, how it crumbles.” She traded her magical port de bras for the sharp angle of Petronio elbows, then used slicing pirouettes to frame the space -- and melt away. Those who heard her acceptance speech at the 2010 Bessie Awards, were glad to see a resolution to her offer to the assembled choreographers there: “Call me; I’m available.” More of her would have been even more satisfying.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

Musicians protest the Paul Taylor company's decision to use canned music at Lincoln Center.

The musicians union will be outside the doors of the Koch Theater on Tuesday night to protest the dance company's decision to use canned music instead of a live orchestra. The move marks the first time there has been a “major performance” in one of the main Lincoln Center halls without professional musicians, union officials said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):