This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

XVIII Tropical Baroque Music Festival, Miami

What a beautiful evening! I went to a wonderful program, part of the Miami Baroque Music Festival. Tonight's performance took place at the museum of the beautiful city of Coral Gables, where the camera ensemble "Fuoco e Cenere" offered an exquisite, uber tasteful rendition of works by Claudio Monteverdi-(1567-1643), Angelo Notari-(1566-1663), Johann Kapsberger-(1580-1651), Nicolo Fontei-(?-1647), Girolamo Frescobaldi-(1583-1608), Deigo Ortiz-(1510-1570), Filippo Vitali-(1599-1653), Giovanni Paolo Cima-(1570-1622), Raffaello Rontani-(?-1622). The program's title was "Love Songs from Monteverdi's Venice". The group was formed by Jay Bernfeld-(viol) , Julie Fioretti-(soprano), , Natalie Perez-(soprano), ,Andre Henrich-(theorbo) and Bertrand Cuiller-(harpsichord).

I'm fully charged now for Jeanette's debut as Giselle tomorrow..!! yahoo.gif

That program sounds wonderful. One of my best night's at the opera was seeing a terrific "L'incoronazione di Poppea" (Monteverdi) by Florida Grand Opera in the late '90's. Back then FGO was very good! I saw the same opera in San Francisco and it didn't compare to what I saw in Miami. They engaged conductor Harry Bicket and counter tenor David Daniels (who was in his prime back then), and the staging was lavish.

It is sad to see how quickly FGO's standards have fallen. I'm sure it can't be helped in this economy, but I am not satisfied with seeing nobodies and student singers howl through roles. I suspect the company is doing its best with what it has, but they were really good in the 90's and 2000's before the bubble burst. I might go see Sonnambula next season. We'll see.