• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

What a beautiful evening! I went to a wonderful program, part of the Miami Baroque Music Festival. Tonight's performance took place at the museum of the beautiful city of Coral Gables, where the camera ensemble "Fuoco e Cenere" offered an exquisite, uber tasteful rendition of works by Claudio Monteverdi-(1567-1643), Angelo Notari-(1566-1663), Johann Kapsberger-(1580-1651), Nicolo Fontei-(?-1647), Girolamo Frescobaldi-(1583-1608), Deigo Ortiz-(1510-1570), Filippo Vitali-(1599-1653), Giovanni Paolo Cima-(1570-1622), Raffaello Rontani-(?-1622). The program's title was "Love Songs from Monteverdi's Venice". The group was formed by Jay Bernfeld-(viol) , Julie Fioretti-(soprano), , Natalie Perez-(soprano), ,Andre Henrich-(theorbo) and Bertrand Cuiller-(harpsichord).

I'm fully charged now for Jeanette's debut as Giselle tomorrow..!! Posted Image

#2 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

That program sounds wonderful. One of my best night's at the opera was seeing a terrific "L'incoronazione di Poppea" (Monteverdi) by Florida Grand Opera in the late '90's. Back then FGO was very good! I saw the same opera in San Francisco and it didn't compare to what I saw in Miami. They engaged conductor Harry Bicket and counter tenor David Daniels (who was in his prime back then), and the staging was lavish.

#3 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

"L'incoronazione di Poppea"

...aaah...Poppea!! Posted Image

#4 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

It is sad to see how quickly FGO's standards have fallen. I'm sure it can't be helped in this economy, but I am not satisfied with seeing nobodies and student singers howl through roles. I suspect the company is doing its best with what it has, but they were really good in the 90's and 2000's before the bubble burst. I might go see Sonnambula next season. We'll see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):