8 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

The Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University announces its 2012–13 season.

Ballet Folklórico de México de Amalia Hernández returns to Chicago for two shows this October 6 and 7. Its March 2010 visit, which kicked off the city’s celebrations of big birthdays for Mexico’s independence and Republic, was a joyful bombardment of live music and folk dance. Our other international neighbor follows suit November 2–4, when Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet presents Moulin Rouge, a new production currently at the start of its American tour. The Auditorium’s annual gala coincides with the engagement, to take place at the Palmer House Hilton after RWB’s Sunday matinee.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

Sergei Polunin says he wants to quit ballet by age 26.

Performing is the only time he really enjoys dancing, he says. Rehearsing is "very hard physical work and it can sometimes be very boring as well, learning stuff. You stop rehearsing at 8pm, by the time you come home it's 10 and then it's like: 'OK, I want to have at least six hours of normal life, just watching TV,' and the next morning it's just harder to wake up."

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

A businessman takes some useful tips from reading an interview with Mikhail Baryshnikov.

In the interview Baryshnikov said, "In dance you are trained to identify the wrong stuff and get rid of it: the line of your body, or a clumsiness of movement." Wow, I said. These days I'm working hard to take my business into several new product areas and it has been a struggle at times. But those few words from a world famous dancer gave me a clue as to what you and I as business owners have to do with things that don't serve us well.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

An interview with Pennsylvania Ballet solo pianist Martha Koeneman.

“You develop a feel for how to pace the music so the dancers don't feel rushed in developing their style,” she explains.

For “Messiah,” the rehearsals were especially challenging because of more than 50 individual scenes. Koeneman had to rehearse every one of these scenes. Some were with a group of dancers; others involved a solo dancer.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

An interview with José Navas.

Another much-abused piece of dance music Navas will be taking on is Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring (Sacre du Printemps). “In 2013 I will be choreographing Sacre,” he says. “The Brussels Philharmonic invited me to do it as a solo, and they will be playing onstage.”
Navas’ future plans also include a reimagining of the Romantic story ballet Gisèle for Ballet BC. “I have caught the ballet bug,” he says. “It’s so exciting to be working with women on pointe, and with the men too. There is a formality in the language that is really rich. I’m discovering so many things. I told my partner that after I have done Bolero, Sacre and Gisèle, I can die happy.”

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

A new reality show will focus on Ballet West. Item in brief.

The CW has announced its summer slate, and one of its new shows is a reality series called "Breaking Pointe," about life in the ballet world -- centering on Salt Lake City's own Ballet West.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Ballet West will return to the Kennedy Center.

Ballet West has performed there a number of times, and in 2008 the company opened the festival "Ballet Across America," wowing the audience who received them with whistles and cheers.

But those performances were not full-length productions; that has not happened for more than 20 years. Ballet West Artistic Director Adam Sklute gives credit to a review last year from the New York Times dance critic.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

A story on the new reality show featuring Ballet West.

“Breaking Pointe,” a six-episode documentary series, will air sometime this summer on The CW. The network describes it this way: “Beneath the beauty and glamour of the dance and costumes is a gritty dog-eat-dog world of extreme athleticism, focus, dedication, passion, pressure and, of course, the hunt for the unattainable ... perfection.”

It’s not a competition show, it’s a documentary. The producers, from BBC International, pitched the show to the Utah dance company as “the antidote to the movie ‘Black Swan,’ ” said Adam Sklute, artistic director at Ballet West.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

A story on Miami City Ballet's programming for its 2012-13 season.

An as yet unnamed work by The Royal Ballet’s Scarlett, who dazzled local audiences with the world premiere of the MCB-commissioned “Viscera.” The 25-year-old choreographer’s new ballet will be performed as part of Program II, which debuts in January at Miami’s Arsht Center.

Returning to the repertory after long absences are works by the two leading choreographers of the 20th century: George Balanchine’s “Apollo,” set to a ravishing Stravinsky score, and Frederick Ashton’s “Les Patineurs,” also called “The Skating Party.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):