This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

On Friday night my guest Bart Birsdall and I went to another program of the Cleveland Orchestra's Miami residency. We had a great evening, which concluded with an Argentinean "parrillada" and sangria...! happy.png

From the CO website...

"The triumphant trumpets of Verdi’s AÏda celebrate an ancient Egyptian victory. And, the radiant American soprano Dawn Upshaw sings the Miami premiere of three hauntingly beautiful songs by popular Argentinean composer Osvaldo Golijov. This eclectic concert concludes with Prokofiev’s stirring Fifth Symphony, written to summon the rallying strength of the Russian people during the darkest hours of the Second World War"

http://clevelandorchestramiami.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/TCOMiami2012Program2Notes.pdf

Nicola Luisotti is an exciting conductor! He makes most works come alive. I was glad to finally see him conduct in person. He was at home in the Verdi and made the other pieces interesting as well. Watching him conduct is almost like watching a ballet dancer. He loves what he is doing. I can tell.

Dawn Upshaw still has a beautiful voice although there were slight moments that betrayed that she is no longer in her prime. I am not a fan of most contemporary opera, but Golijov's 3 songs were very nice and I wouldn't mind hearing them again one day.

Thank you for inviting me along to the Cleveland Orchestra concert. It was a great evening of music!