This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pilobolus Dance Company. Miami, 03/03/12

Does anybody remembers them from that past Academy Awards ceremony, when de Generes hosted...? I went to see them last night at the Arsht Center, and was greatly impressed, for which even being a non lover of contemporary dancing, theirs is an spectacle both innovative and highly entertaining aside from elegant in its conception. I liked it very much!

Just got home from Pilobolus Dance Theatre (matinee performance) here in Gainesville. I enjoyed it immensely. It is not really ballet (rather modern dance), but it gave the same kind of thrills as ballet ("Wow!" moments).

The two modern dance companies that have impressed me are Momix and now this Pilobolus company. Both are worth seeing if you love dance. In both companies the women are very different (much more muscular than ballet dancers and compared to ballet dancers look almost husky but not fat). The women pick each other up at times also. Some of the moves are more like a music video dance performance, but there are beautiful moments as well and definitely moments where you say, "Wow!"

Still Moving: Pilobolus at Forty: a film by Jeffrey Ruoff

In the 1970s, at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire, USA, four male athletes joined a dance class. Their collaborative work led to the creation of Pilobolus and the transformation of modern dance. Pilobolus eschewed the bright lights of Manhattan and settled in rural Connecticut. On the eve of its fortieth anniversary, internationally-renowned, Pilobolus returns to New Hampshire for a Dartmouth-commissioned premiere of a collaboration with cartoonist Art Spiegelman. Still Moving: Pilobolus at Forty focuses on the company’s lifecycle—including a founder’s death—its evolution, transformation, and regeneration. At their studio, on the road, in community workshops, and on stage, the arts organism Pilobolus thrives.

http://www.pilobolusfilm.com/dvd