This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

POB 2012-2013 Season

Danilova and Doubrovska worked with Balanchine very early in his career. SAB is now run by dancers who worked with Balanchine in the 60's and 70's and who are more familiar with how his ideas and teaching evolved.

Just to set the record straight -

George Balanchine died in 1983.

Felia Doubrovska (1896-1981) joined the staff of the School of American Ballet in 1949(?), teaching the advanced girls' classes, and she remained on its staff until a year before her death at 85.

Alexandra Danilova (1903–1997) taught at the School of American Ballet from approximately 1964 to retirement in 1989.

My apologies to the others for the off topic chatter. I do look forward to hearing more first-hand reports from Paris!

This may be asking too much, but can anyone provide an English translation of Gillot's comments on her upcoming choreographic debut?

Can be simplified, rather than word-for-word. ;)

http://gillot-cunnin.../sousapparence/

Hummm... Roughly and my own responsability for misunderstandings …

she said will explore the sentence “appearances are innocent of our mistakes”. Then , she’s talking about the set designer Olivier Mosset who has been very interested in knowing much about the ballet world. The main element of the set is a “pare-char” (bumper tank???) that she called “toblerone”[i’m sure everyone knows the Swiss chocolate barsmile.png ] . She is interested in working with a war object because dance is often war but to reach grace and not death… She said she will draw in the work the energy and emotions she had in her youth in Normandy and that she will explore pointe work, because she feels pointes are sacred. Finally, the dancers whom she had worked with all her life are still mysterious, always unreadable but in the meantime when they dance, she admires them and she’s moved by their bodies and she wants to discover more about their bodies and their personality

Comments : We shall know soon how it turns... 20 dancers are involved I heard: 10 females and 10 males, all on pointes.

Comments : We shall know soon how it turns... 20 dancers are involved I heard: 10 females and 10 males, all on pointes.

Thank you, Silvermash. I was wondering about the casting for this dance piece. I'm actually kind of shocked there will be pointe work. ;)

Here's hoping it goes well for Marie-Agnès and company.

Thank you, Silvermash. I was wondering about the casting for this dance piece. I'm actually kind of shocked there will be pointe work. ;)

Here's hoping it goes well for Marie-Agnès and company.

Casting is still unknown (the Première is next week so it won't be long!!!) but only one Etoile, Laëtitia Pujol is involved with Premiers danseurs Vincent Chaillet and Alice Renavand. Laëtitia was due to participate to a public rehearsal last week but she was replaced by Aurélia Bellet, a very fine soloist, so perhaps she's still unsure? Usual soloists of comtemporary rep are involved too : names circulating are Amandine Albisson, Audric Bezard, Christelle Granier, Aurélien Houette, Laurence Laffon, Julien Meyzindi, Marc Moreau, Daniel Stokes...

From what I've seen during the public rehearsals, Wayne McGregor has been an inspiration so pointe work is not a surprise.wink1.gif

Casting is now online for the Sous Apparence/Un jour ou deux Programme

Only one cast for the Gillot : Vincent Chaillet, Laëtitia Pujol, Alice Renavand

Three casts for the Cunningham : Emilie Cozette/Hervé Moreau/Nicolas Paul -Stéphanie Romberg or Laurence Laffon/Florian Magnenet/Fabien Révillion

http://www.operadeparis.fr/saison_2012_2013/Ballets/gillot-cunningham/decouvrir/Distribution/

Last week, casting for Don Quixote was also released.

http://www.operadeparis.fr/saison_2012_2013/Ballets/don-quichotte-noureev/decouvrir/distribution-don-quichotte/

Casting is now online for the Sous Apparence/Un jour ou deux Programme

Only one cast for the Gillot : Vincent Chaillet, Laëtitia Pujol, Alice Renavand

Three casts for the Cunningham : Emilie Cozette/Hervé Moreau/Nicolas Paul -Stéphanie Romberg or Laurence Laffon/Florian Magnenet/Fabien Révillion

http://www.operadepa...r/Distribution/

Thank you - well hopefully no one gets injured beforehand. I'm not really familiar with Chaillet myself, but Pujol and Renavand should do fine in the modern piece.

Well that's

Well, I went to the Première. My own feeling is that it is not a success wink1.gif. The sum up of what I feel, heard and read after is that the Merce Cunningham piece is the real interest of the evening...

It will pop up some day as the evening will be recorded for a TV broadcast!

Too bad, but not exactly unexpected. A person could have all the talent in the world for choreography and their first piece will still have problems. If you are lucky, it will be described as, "promising". ;)

It strikes me as being a bit bizarre to thrust Gillot onto a major stage for her first work, but they did what they did. Historically speaking, what master choreographer started out their career with a ballet for the POB, Mariinsky, NYCB, Bolshoi main stage? Precisely NONE that I can recall hearing of.

Can anyone comment on the Cunningham piece (Un jour ou deux)? It certainly looks striking and the Parisian dancers look striking in it.

I like it. I'm not familiar with Cunningham so I can't really comment on what's make its particularity but I like everything of if, the atmosphère, the costumes, the lighting,the music, the movements and the staging. The choreography was fluid and ethereal at time, dancers were flying in group... even if it was serious and quite obsessive...

I think it was critically acclaimed...

Fortunately, I love Froustey...her FMG uploaded was terrific.

Me too! I await a promotion for her anxiously. She is my current favorite among the women at POB. She just has that certain something that makes me watch her to the exclusion to most everyone else on her stage.