19 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

sidwich, I'd appreciate it very much if you'd give us your take past midpoint of the season.

#17 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

I, too, would love to know what you think, sidwich!

#18 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Sorry, I've been finishing up some major projects this spring and haven't been watching the show as closely as I usually do. I will say that I'm pleased that the three strongest celebrities did make it to the final this year, and they're partnered with three very strong pros. Katherine, Donald and William are all very strong beginners, with strong points and weak points but unlike in previous years, I don't feel like any of them have been coasting with simplified choreography, say like Laila Ali. Mark, Peta and Cheryl have all been giving their celebs pretty well-rounded choreography for the most part throughout the competition.

Cheryl is clearly looker weaker and weaker as a dancer, though, and her choreography has been decided lackluster this year. I really hope she takes the summer off and puts herself in Louis' tutelage again. I strongly feel that she needs to let her body heal from the years of dancing with beginners, get herself back in shape and rededicate herself to keep up her own technique. Peta's emerging as the new star among the female pros, and Karina's improved leaps and bounds as a teacher and choreographer. Cheryl needs to take care of herself to keep the shine on her star.

In the round of 4, I will say that Maria was noticeably weaker than the final three. Although a lovely woman, Maria really lacks the strength and conditioning necessary for ballroom dancing. Derek was clearly reducing the number of weight changes she had to do in many of their routines. It was very noticeable in their Argentine Tango since it is essentially a walking-based dance. Still, Derek did really well to get her as far as he did.

The Bollywood Samba was a giant mess, but I will give Derek a pass since I suspect that he was directed to do that by the show producers. (Since DWTS doesn't qualify as a game show, the producers have wide latitude in giving out the weekly music choices and "suggesting" choreographic concepts.)

I liked the trio concept and hope they keep it. Donald and Peta clearly had the best routine, but they also had the easiest assignment. Jive, like most of the swing dances, lends itself to trio dancing, and a one lead/2 follow combination is relatively simple if the two follows are doing the same choreography. With two strong follows like Peta and Karina, the trio jive was pretty much a slam dunk unless Donald fell down.

I was surprised that Mark and Katherine's cha-cha worked out so well, though. Cha-cha does not lend itself as well to trios as jive, but Mark's choreography worked well.

I think Donald will win based both on his fanbase and how well he's done this year with Peta, but it's been a very good, enjoyable season for me.

#19 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thank you for sharing your views, Sidwich. I am glad to learn that you, too, think that the three strongest celebrities are in the finals. And I agree that Cheryl needs some time off to - as you put it so well - "keep the shine on her star." This has been a satisfying season, in that each of the three finalists has squarely earned the opportunity to carry the day.

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Thank you so much, sidwich!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):