• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Simply glorious! Fonteyn's bouree has always been magical for me.

The only ballerina that comes close to the extraordinary quality of Fonteyn's bouree, in my opinion, is Natalia Bessmertnova. Watch her in "Raymonda". Even in the twilight of her career, she has a whispering, feathery bouree which is exquisite. I don't know if she possesses a floating quality, but her bouree is delicate, velvety and I never tire of watching it.

Oh, I love her in Raymonda. Bessmertnova seemed to move with such lightness and delicacy without looking twiggy as some other modern ballerinas. One can see this quality at its best in her Giselle. Definitely Mme. Bessmertnova.

Cristian, we are kindred spirits when it comes to Mme. Bessmertnova's Raymonda. She is quietly stunning and a model Princess Ballerina in that performance. Along with her lightness and delicacy, her footwork and especailly her port de bras are gorgeous. I also love that she brings regality and vulnerability to the role unlike so many other dancers who portray her as haughty and aloof.

In fact, MakarovaFan, right after watching the reconstruction with Novikova-(which I own Posted Image )-I went back and watched Bessmertnova's, and you can tell that Mme DEFINITELY wins hands down in terms of grandeur and regal demeanor. Once more, my "Blanche Dubois" theory shows up again . I love mature ballerinas who still can beat technically her younger peers, because then they really have the whole package..!

#17 leibling

leibling

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

I didn't mean to imply at all that there was any trick photography... on the contrary- I am absolutely sure that those are real bourees. The closest I ever saw live was Marianna Tcherkassky (sp?) in Giselle many years ago... I have never forgotten her bourees as NOTHING seemed to move as she floated across the stage.... so I have no doubt that that was exactly how Jeanette looked, too. Now to teach that to students.....

#18 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

Mention of the great Bessmertnova reminds me, the Myrtha to her Giselle was Maria Bylova, and HER bourrees were out of this world -- she hovered with the uncanny lightness of Disney's Fairy Godmother at the beginning of Act 2, I'll never forget it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):