This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2012-13 season

It looks like there have been some changes in the season schedule for 2012-13

I have definite mixed feeling about these changes.......I am particularly struck by sandik's analysis of full vs mixed reps over the last few years. I confess I am not as large a fan of full lengths as many others are (every time I hear an audience member "complain" that there are not enough "real" ballets in the schedule anymore, I cringe). I love the mixed reps which give me the opportunity to see many different conceptions of what choreography can be, and to experience a wider range of emotion than I find in the typical full length evening. So the substitution of "Cinderella" is a bit of a disappointment.

Last night at opening night's Q&A I heard a bit of Boal's explanation of the changes. Altho I didn't catch all he said (I was a bit late getting to the lecture hall), it seemed clear to me that the change was forced by budgetary considerations. That tells me that in these tough financial times, programming has to serve the mistress of "putting butts in the seats" (to use one of my favorite Helene expressions wink1.gif). Full lengths sell and are far easier to market (especially ones that have "child" appeal). I guess that is necessary when the budget demands, but I hope we return to the more common 2:4 full:mixed ratio as soon as finances allow. Peter Boal has spoiled me.....I would not want to go back to the pre-Boal programming.

Peter Boal has spoiled me.....I would not want to go back to the pre-Boal programming.

I share your preference for mixed rep shows, but I just want to say that Russell and Stowell produced many of those as well. Over the course of 20 + years they did oversee a number of program-length works, but the majority of the work they added to the repertory was mixed rep fodder.

Off the top of my head, the full-lengths I remember from 1994 on are:

The Nutcracker

Cinderella

The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

Swan Lake

The Sleeping Beauty

Coppelia

Don Quixote

The Merry Widow

Silver Lining

sandik mentioned the Tetley Alice in 1992. Even if there were more, that still wouldn't be much more than one every three seasons on average over 27 years.

I share your preference for mixed rep shows, but I just want to say that Russell and Stowell produced many of those as well.

Absolutely!

I did not mean to imply that Boal has a higher percentage of mixed vs full length programs. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the statistics show that Stowell/Russell did a higher percentage of mixed compared to Boal; however Boal has definitely programmed differently than the years prior to 2005........and I prefer his programming to that of the past. (I likely gave you the wrong impression by making my comment as the last sentence of a paragraph on mixed vs full; I should have made a new and separate paragraph out of that comment.)

As I remember, the easy majority of the Stowell/Russell programs were mixed rep, but those mixed programs did not range over as wide a field as does Boal's. Many, many of Stowell/Russell programs contained mostly Balanchine and Stowell mixtures with the occasional well known names in choreography thrown in (e.g., Tetley, Petipa, Martins). There was a certain "consistency" IMO to the Stowell/Russell programming......a consistency that the audience was lulled into expecting. Don't get me wrong, I am one for sure who can never get enough of Mr B so I'm not complaining about that, but I do prefer the more wide ranging pieces that Boal has brought to our audience; and I also think his choices have greatly increased the skill set of our dancers (especially in the acting and dramatic power departments).

Of course, none of this would be even remotely possible without the heroic work that Stowell and Russell did over 25 years to build PNB into the thoroughbred that Boal is now riding.

And I just want more of everything! I've been very interested in almost everything that Peter Boal has programmed -- I haven't liked all of it, but I've been glad to have seen almost all of it. But I do wish that we could also see more of the mixed rep work from the Stowell/Russell era (Tudor, Feld, Taylor, Christensen are a few). They are not radical choreographers, but they represent an important part of ballet history, and I think we understand contemporary work much more clearly when we have a good grounding in the path we took to get here.

Having said that, I'm particularly excited to see new work by Wheeldon and Morris, and am looking forward to the return of Agon and In the Upper Room...

I do wish that we could also see more of the mixed rep work from the Stowell/Russell era (Tudor, Feld, Taylor, Christensen are a few).

I'm with you there! I'd trade maybe 30% of the Boal new-new stuff for some of these older, but still new, classics. OTOH, dare I say it, I can do without all but a few Stowell pieces.

Having said that, I'm particularly excited to see new work by Wheeldon and Morris, and am looking forward to the return of Agon and In the Upper Room...

Ditto...........ah, Agon and In the Upper Room.....2 of my most favorites of all time (in fact, Agon is my favorite ballet!)

Here's the official season notice:

Pacific Northwest Ballet Announces 40th Anniversary Line-Up

PNB Box Office Opens for 2012-2013 ticket sales on Monday, July 23

Special One-Week Offer: NO SERVICE FEES July 23 – 29!

(Nutcracker tickets on sale May 1)

September 2012 – June 2013

Marion Oliver McCaw Hall

321 Mercer Street, Seattle Center

Seattle, Washington

40th Season to feature six world premieres including works by Mark Morris and Christopher Wheeldon; Other highlights include the return of audience-favorites Cinderella, Roméo et Juliette and Swan Lake. (And Nutcracker, too!)

SEATTLE, WA – Artistic Director Peter Boal has announced the confirmed line-up for Pacific Northwest Ballet’s 40th Anniversary Season, running from September 2012 through June, 2013. PNB opens its box office for 2012-2013 ticket sales on Monday, July 23. To celebrate, PNB is offering a special one-week money-saving deal: Pay no service fees on tickets purchased between July 23 and 29. (Or, don’t wait, and save even more by purchasing a season subscription now!)

“Pacific Northwest Ballet is a jewel in the crown of American ballet and a rightful source of Northwest pride,” said Mr. Boal in his announcement. “We’re celebrating this 40th Anniversary milestone by honoring our past and leaping forward with six new works by choreographers ranging from promising fledglings to the best in the business.

“We’ll recognize Founding Artistic Director Kent Stowell’s unparalleled contribution to our organization (that is, unparalleled except, of course, by Founding Artistic Director Francia Russell) by kicking off our anniversary season with the return of his glorious Cinderella. Opening night will feature an added treat: A one-night-only performance of Stravinsky’s charming Circus Polka, choreographed by Jerome Robbins, with a special guest Ringmaster, former PNB principal dancer Patricia Barker.

“November brings four world premieres by Andrew Bartee, Kiyon Gaines, Margaret Mullin, and – the piece de resistance – the inimitable Mark Morris.

“Jean-Christophe Maillot’s intoxicating Roméo et Juliette returns in February after a four-year absence, followed by a program of modern masterpieces by George Balanchine (Concerto Barocco), Ulysses Dove (Dancing on the Front Porch of Heaven) and Twyla Tharp (In the Upper Room), along with a world premiere by PNB Ballet Master Paul Gibson.

“Kent Stowell’s magnificent Swan Lake makes a welcome return to the stage in April, followed by a world premiere by Christopher Wheeldon, and Francia Russell’s crystalline staging of Balanchine’s seminal Agon. And we’ll close out the Ruby Anniversary with another Balanchine jewel, Diamonds. I hope you’ll join us for this stellar celebration season.”

Subscriptions and single tickets may be purchased through the PNB Box Office, either by phone (206.441.2424), online (pnb.org) or in person at 301 Mercer Street. Subscriptions may be purchased now, and single tickets go on sale July 23. Discounted subscription rates are available for seniors, students, and children. All programming and dates are subject to change. For more information, visit pnb.org.

2012-2013 SEASON LINE-UP

Rep 1CINDERELLA

September 21 – 30, 2012

Music: Sergei Prokofiev

Choreography: Kent Stowell

Scenic Design: Tony Straiges

Costume Design: Martin Pakledinaz

Lighting Design: Randal G. Chiarelli

Circus Polka (Opening Night only)

Music: Igor Stravinskly

Choreography: Jerome Robbins

Staging: Judith Fugate

CELEBRATE SEATTLE

Sunday, September 30, 2012

(Not part of PNB’s subscription season. Call the PNB Box Office for details.)

A special multi-media celebration of PNB’s 40th Anniversary and Seattle Center’s 50th Anniversary, featuring the PNB Orchestra and special guests.

Rep 2 – ALL PREMIERE

November 2 – 11, 2012

World Premiere

Music: Barrett Anspach

Choreography: Andrew Bartee

Costume Design: Mark Zappone

Lighting Design: Randall G. Chiarelli

World Premiere

Music: Dan Coleman

Choreography: Margaret Mullin

Costume Design: Alexis Mondragon

World Premiere

Music: Paul Hindemith

Choreography: Mark Morris

Costume Design: Mark Zappone

Lighting Design: Michael Chybowski

World Premiere

Music: Igor Stravinsky

Choreography: Kiyon Gaines

Costume Design: Pauline Smith

Stowell & Sendak NUTCRACKER

December 7 – 29, 2012

(Not part of PNB’s subscription season. Tickets go on sale May 1.)

Music: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Scenic & Costume Design: Maurice Sendak

“There’s no surer cure for holiday humbugs than Pacific Northwest Ballet’s Nutcracker.” — The Seattle Times

Nothing fills hearts with joyful magic quite like Pacific Northwest Ballet’s famous Stowell & Sendak Nutcracker at McCaw Hall. Praised by The New York Times as “original and exciting,” this marvelously imagined production, created by PNB Founding Artistic Director Kent Stowell and author/illustrator Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are), features over 200 roles danced by PNB’s professional dancers and students, gigantic moving sets, a snowfall every performance, and—the magical sound of the season—Tchaikovsky’s beloved score performed by the mighty PNB Orchestra.

“From the absolute charm of seeing all the adorable kids in velvet dresses and shiny shoes to the mouth dropping awe of the truly magnificent set, we were as swept away as the 8-year-olds. Nutcracker is all the good parts of Christmas…It's a great holiday date for couples, obviously a delight and treat for children and a wholly elegant way to deck the halls. It's never too late to start a tradition and we seriously suggest you go.”Seattlest.com

Rep 3ROMéO ET JULIETTE

February 1 – 10, 2013

Music: Sergei Prokofiev

Choreography: Jean-Christophe Maillot

Staging: Bernice Coppieters, Giovanna Lorenzoni, Gaby Baars

Scenic Design: Ernest Pignon-Ernest

Costume Design: Jérôme Kaplan

Lighting Design: Dominique Drillot

Rep 4 – MODERN MASTERPIECES

March 15 – 24, 2013

Concerto Barocco

Music: Johann Sebastian Bach

Choreography: George Balanchine emoji_000A9.gif The George Balanchine Trust

Staging: Francia Russell

Dancing on the Front Porch of Heaven

Music: Arvo Pärt

Choreography: Ulysses Dove

Staging: Eva Safstrom

Scenic and Costume Design: Jorge Gallardo

Original Lighting Design: Björn Nilsson

In the Upper Room

Music: Philip Glass

Choreography: Twyla Tharp

Staging: Stacy Caddell

Scenic Design: Santo Loquasto

Costume Design: Norma Kamali

Lighting Design: Jennifer Tipton

World Premiere

Choreography: Paul Gibson

HANSEL & GRETEL

March 17 – 23, 2013

(Part of PNB’s “Family Matinees” subscription package. Call the PNB Box Office for details. Tickets to this event go on sale in early 2013.)

Music: Oscar Nedbal

Choreography: Bruce Wells

Scenic Design: Edith Whitsett

Costume Design: Pacific Northwest Ballet Costume Shop

This narrated, hour-long performance is danced by students of Pacific Northwest Ballet School, and is the perfect opportunity to introduce young children to the magic of live performance.

Rep 5SWAN LAKE

April 12 – 21, 2013

Staging: Francia Russell (after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov)

Scenic Design: Ming Cho Lee

Costume Design: Paul Tazewell

REP 6 – DIRECTOR’S CHOICE

May 31 – June 9, 2013

Agon

Music: Igor Stravinsky

Staging: Francia Russell

World Premiere

Choreography: Christopher Wheeldon

Diamonds

Staging: Elyse Borne

Costume Design: Karinska

Lighting Design: Mark Stanley

SEASON ENCORE PERFORMANCE

June 9, 2013

(Not part of PNB’s subscription season. Tickets to this event go on sale in 2013.)

Pacific Northwest Ballet wraps up its 40th Anniversary season with the annual Season Encore Performance, a crowd-pleasing evening of some of the year’s greatest hits.

NEXT STEP

June 14, 2013

(Not part of PNB’s subscription season. Tickets to this event go on sale in 2013.)

32nd Annual PNB School Performance

June 15, 2013

Featuring Twyla Tharp’s Sweet Fields

PNB ON TOUR

(Tour tickets not available through the PNB Box Office.)

July 6-8, 2012

Spoleto Festival of Two Worlds (July 1-10, 2012)

Spoleto, Italy

September 9-10, 2012

Guggenheim Museum Works & Process

New York, New York

October 11-14, 2012

Nevada Ballet Theatre

Las Vegas, Nevada

February 14-17, 2013

City Center Theatre

New York, New York

February 22-23

Royal Theatre

Victoria, British Columbia

TICKET INFORMATION

Tickets go on sale Monday, July 23. Pay no service fees on tickets purchased July 23 – 29. Money-saving season subscriptions are available now.

Tickets may be purchase through the PNB Box Office:

· Phone: 206.441.2424 (Mon.-Fri. 10am–5pm)

· In Person: 301 Mercer Street, Seattle (Mon.-Fri. 10am–5pm)

· Online: pnb.org (24 hours a day, seven days a week)

Tickets are also available 90 minutes prior to each performance at McCaw Hall, located at 321 Mercer Street, subject to availability.

The company has announced some guest performances for the 12-13 season. As well as the return of Patricia Barker, Marisa Albee, and Kimberly Davey during the first program of the season, a number of former company members will be appearing this year, along with one other guest.

Jeffrey Stanton and Olivier Wevers will both be performing as Herr Drosselmeier during the run of Nutcracker.

Noelani Pantastico and Lucien Postlewaite will return to their roles in Romeo et Juliette (date TBA) in February.

Ariana Lallone will return to her role as the Witch in Hansel and Gretel in March.

Louise Nadeau will perform as the Queen and Casey Herd will perform Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake in April (date TBA)

Wendy Whelan will dance in Agon in May/June (date TBA)

I just bought tickets for me and my Grandma (her Christmas present) for PNB's performance here in Victoria in late February. It's so rare to ever get ballet tours in Victoria, so I'm quite excited, particularly for my Grandma who loves ballet but unlike myself, can't travel to see it anymore.

They're doing a mixed program of Agon, a pas de deux from Wheeldon's After the Rain (a piece I don't know), Apollo and Robbins' Afternoon of a Faun. (When ballet companies have come here before they've often had trouble with the small size of our two main theatres--both old vaudeville houses. The Kiev ballet came and did CInderella here when I was a teen in the 90s, and several dancers literally jumped into set pieces, or had other similar issues with spacing--so it's probably smart for PNB to do works without much corps work, or sets.)

I just bought tickets for me and my Grandma (her Christmas present) for PNB's performance here in Victoria in late February. It's so rare to ever get ballet tours in Victoria, so I'm quite excited, particularly for my Grandma who loves ballet but unlike myself, can't travel to see it anymore.

They're doing a mixed program of Agon, a pas de deux from Wheeldon's After the Rain (a piece I don't know), Apollo and Robbins' Afternoon of a Faun. (When ballet companies have come here before they've often had trouble with the small size of our two main theatres--both old vaudeville houses. The Kiev ballet came and did CInderella here when I was a teen in the 90s, and several dancers literally jumped into set pieces, or had other similar issues with spacing--so it's probably smart for PNB to do works without much corps work, or sets.)

Touring along the west coast can be a tricky proposition (theater size is a significant issue in several places), and I think everyone here has seen a slacking-off of touring in their communities. I know that when Stowell and Russell were running PNB, their focus was on taking the entire company on the road -- they didn't really do many small group tours or run-outs in their tenure. Boal is responding to that part of his job in a different way, and the market for touring groups is different as well -- he's had more small groups on the road. I think you'll enjoy the program they're bringing your way -- the Wheeldon is the most contemporary of the works, but it meshes well with the Robbins -- they both have a contemplative point of view, although they are quite different. I'll be curious to hear what you think of the program and the company.

I'll be sure to report. I'm a bit embarassed (and surprised) that I've never seen any Blanchine, or Robbins (outside of musical theatre--I loved the anniversay tour of West Side Story in the late 90s) in person. So I'm pretty excited. I only know Apollo and Robbins' Faun from the Jacques D'Amboise DVD (I know PNB like most companies does the final Balanchine edit of Apollo.) And I only know Agon and Rain from clips on youtube. I checked the tickets website, and the main floor is already nearly sold out, which I am really pleased with.