• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

The ballet of ballets...Giselle. While Program II is still active-(Fort Lauderdale performances still ahead)-Giselle is right behind the corner. I thought about opening this thread now so we can discuss it in advance...
I know...I can't wait...Giselle is so beautiful...Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q89jR40rO4

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,585 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

I look forward to hearing about these performances.

#3 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,166 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

Will do, Helene, although it will be a tough weekend to just pick MCB over. Posted Image

http://www.seraphicfire.org/tickets/

http://www.nws.edu/E...il.aspx?EID=551

http://www.arshtcent...w.aspx?id=10335

https://www.browardc...E1-E8F25CA9D19C

#4 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

I can't wait to see the casting for Giselle. Last time MCB did it I saw Guerra and Kronenberg and enjoyed it very much. This time I am hoping for a Delgado Giselle!

#5 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,166 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

I can't wait to see the casting for Giselle. Last time MCB did it I saw Guerra and Kronenberg and enjoyed it very much. This time I am hoping for a Delgado Giselle!

I'm with you on this, BB. I'm dying to see her in the role, particularly her mad scene, which should be a total challenge for such overly bubbling personality. I must confess being a little partial to the clips I just posted. The steps are there, but there are little romantic details missing...a head/torso subtle tilt,,,some port de bras-(can we get rid once and for all of all those "spaguetty/twiggy arms", just as two different posters in two different threads called them...? )- or even that particular, stiffness that makes the lithographies-inspired romantic poses so beautiful and unique within the art form. Let's see...the clips are from some years ago. Maybe they've worked on those details.

#6 brokenwing

brokenwing

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Casting for Giselle is up! For opening weekend, we get Kronenberg/Guerra, Catoya/Reyes and Albertson/Cerdeiro. Myrthas are J. Delgado and Manning.

http://miamicityball...erformances.php

#7 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,166 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

Whaaaaat....?!?!?![size=4] ARE THEY FRIKING' KIDDING..?!?![/size] [size=4]NO MIAMI GISELLE AND ALBRECHT FOR THE BEST BALLERINA AND BAILARIN OF MCB...?!?! JEANETTE DELGADO AND RENATO PANTEADO A NON SHOW...?!?! [/size]Jesus. This is beyond ridiculous. Let's bring a new change of direccion soon in the company, if that's what it takes, honestly. I will seriously consider even going to any performance.

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,585 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

I so love the word "Bailarin".

#9 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,166 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

timestamp='1329292135' post='298833'] I so love the word "Bailarin".

Ah, Helene...this is heartbreaking...really.

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,585 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

I'm afraid the only dancers I've seen from MCB are the ones in the recent PBS show, but I definitely understand the dismay and disappointment.

#11 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,166 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

That casting-(whith a few exceptions)- is a major JOKE. Thank God for the 90 %-(my own guess/speculation, and assuming all responsability for it)-of the Miami audience, who won't be able to notice it.

#12 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,166 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

Ah...whatever...really...

#13 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Cristian, I love Delgado the best too, but maybe it was her choosing. Maybe she didn't feel ready to do Giselle. Just trying to find the positive in this. At least we will see her Myrtha and see if she can be stern and imperious!

I think Kronenberg is a nice dancer. You will still have fun when you go!!!

#14 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,166 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Jeanette was ECSTATIC to be able to do Giselle and more than ready...Kronenberg can't no longer hold the technical demands of difficult roles, and the pairing of Albertson/Cerdeiro is just painful to even imagine it. If there's someone who is NOT Albrecht, is that young, fragile kid... The whole thing is just a major disaster, disheartening and beyond comprehension. I need personal input on this-(not to worry, I know it can't be posting material...). But as I said...WHATEVER.

#15 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Treading lightly here. Posted Image

Jeanette Delgado would also have been my choice for the most intriguing Giselle. With the proper coaching (something I don't know that MCB can provide) she could be astonishing -- in BOTH acts.

The oddest aspect of all the Miami casting is that Jeanette will be dancing on Opening night and Sunday, in Miami. .... as Myrthe. Posted Image Posted Image

I'm glad to see that Callie Manning will dance Myrthe as well. This won't be the first time in the history of this ballet that Myrthe has the potential to be the most fascinating dancer on stage. Can't wait for Act II.

There are three casts for Peasant Pdd. Tricia Albertson with Kleber Rebello; Jennifer Lauren with Shimon Ito. And Nathallia Arja with Kleber Rebllo. All fine dancers. My expectations have been raised most of all by the Arja/ Rebello pairing.

Casts for the Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Naples performances haven't been announced.

So what about Giselle? Speaking only for myself, it seems that companies like MCB have the resources and the will to present serviceable but never thrilling performances of this complex and iconic work -- very professional etch-a-sketch versions, one might say. (I feel the same about MCB's Don Q and non-Balanchine Coppelia. The Cranko R&J, well-coached, was an exception: something with the look and feel the work was actually suppose to have).

In past, Act I has always seemed weaker than Act II, with the weakest links having always been the tone-deaf performances of the aristocratic hunting party. (Peasants are easier to fake if you imagine them to have the same motivations and behaviors as the kids in a Judy Garland - Mickey Rooney picture, circa 1940s.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):