This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Marcelo Gomes guesting with the Royal Ballet

Gomes replaces Sergei Polunin as Oberon in just one performance of The Dream next week - 9 Feb - dancing with Alina Cojocaru. This sounds like good news to me (that Gomes is coming, not that Polunin has gone!) - any comments from people who've seen him in the role?

My memory is rusty on him in this, but really I think getting Gomes is always a good thing.

He is an incredibly dedicated and engaged dancer who is one of the most fantastic partners around. Superb technically, but also at creating emotional connections with his partners. I know there should be reviews of him in the role in the archives of the NYTimes online...

I think it's the first time he's danced with the RB so there will be a lot of interest - though it won't make much difference to the box office as the performance, which also includes Marianela Nunez making her debut in Song of the Earth, is already 'returns only'. My only slight concern is that he may be a bit tall for Cojocaru.

I think it's the first time he's danced with the RB so there will be a lot of interest - though it won't make much difference to the box office as the performance, which also includes Marianela Nunez making her debut in Song of the Earth, is already 'returns only'. My only slight concern is that he may be a bit tall for Cojocaru.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. He really has the ability to make any partner look marvelous, it is really one of his great gifts. And while given the relative lack of tall strong men at ABT he often partners the taller women, he does partner smaller ones as well on occasion, and I've never heard nor observed it to be an issue.

I look forward to reports!

He is one of my absolute favorite dancers, and always interesting. When ABT first did The Dream, he was one of the lovers (and very funny, too), and he told me in an interview that he was 3rd cast Oberon, and did get to work with Dowell for a bit and how wonderful that was. But I do have to say that I don't think it is exactly his role, he is just too real and warm somehow to convey magic and mystery that Dowell had. Not that I would ever miss a chance to see him, believe me. Mary