Mar. 11, 2012 Le Corsaire (Live in Cinemas)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

The very next 'Live in Cinemas' production will be Burlaka/Ratmansky's Le Corsaire from the Bolshoi. Casting has yet to be announced for any of the Bolshoi's late-winter Corsaires.

From the DC-area's theater web:

http://www.afi.com/s...etincinema.aspx

From the Emerging Pictures web, which should list all theaters showing this:

http://www.balletinc...rsaire-bolshoi/

#2 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Casting is up now:
Medora: Svetlana Lunkina
Conrad: Ruslan Skvortsov
Gulnara: Nina Kaptsova
Pas d'Esclave: Anastasia Stashkevich and Vyacheslav Lopatin
Odalisques: Olga Kishnyova, Anna Nikulina and Anna Tikhomirova

You can find the entire cast here.

#3 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

I wonder if the Bolshoi will release this commercially once it airs! This is a production that is supposed to be the most expensive production of a ballet and is a reconstruction. I am surprised nobody seems to want to videotape these reconstructions and release them commercially (Mariinsky's Sleeping Beauty, Bayadere). After going to so much trouble to recreate them, it seems crazy not to also videotape them and release them. How many of the Bolshoi's live in cinema ballets have actually been released on dvd?

#4 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Flames of Paris has been released on DVD, and the Nutcracker is available in Europe. I understand the Giselle is going to be released in Europe as well.

#5 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

I have Flames of Paris. I wish more of them would be released. It must be expensive to release performances on dvd. It seems like most of the work for it would have been done already once it is transmitted live to the public, but I guess there is more to it. Too bad!

#6 Kristen

Kristen

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

Any word on a DVD of the Osipova/Vasiliev production of Don Q?

#7 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

Have we talked about this yet? Supposedly the Bolshoi will be screening their cinema broadcasts on youtube as well as in theaters, beginning with Le Corsaire? This is fantastic news.

http://www.russkiymi...n/news6009.html

#8 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:36 AM

Have we talked about this yet? Supposedly the Bolshoi will be screening their cinema broadcasts on youtube as well as in theaters, beginning with Le Corsaire? This is fantastic news.

http://www.russkiymi...n/news6009.html

ksk04, I read the article on that link, and it made it sound like it enables Russian audiences to view it on Google Russia. Will we still be able to watch it on YouTube in the U.S.?

#9 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Well the last sentence says "YouTube users will be able to see the ballet Le Corsaire on its premiere night." So going from that, and from other reports I've read it does seem like all youtube users. Everyone was able to watch the Bolshoi theater re-opening, so it seems like it might be along those lines. HOWEVER, there could be a translation problem that is contributing to those beliefs. I guess we will see on the 11th!

#10 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

When it says "YouTube users," does that mean some kind of enhanced membership in YouTube, or just the straight "I click on a link and watch it on my computer" connection?

#11 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I think just the latter, if it is indeed for worldwide youtube users.

#12 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

Where will we find this on YouTube? Will we just go to YouTube and search "Corsaire and Bolshoi"? Or will the Bolshoi provide a link on its website to the YouTube performance?

#13 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Good questions, Bart B.. I'd like a little practice in advance, so I don't miss the beginning for fumbling the technical stuff. I enjoyed as much of their production of Corsaire as they brought to DC - there was a big cut in Act III, which lurched forward into the - is this giving away the ending? - the shipwreck, so I'm looking forward to revisiting it, and trying to get it whole. ("Trying" is what the experience of watching dance on screen can be. Really trying, sometimes.)

#14 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Whoops! Presumably here, if it's available for everyone http://www.youtube.com/user/bolshoi on their youtube channel.

#15 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

The trailer (featuring an odd mashup of clips from The Artist Posted Image ) says it will be for Youtube-Russia. So maybe not everyone? How disappointing.

http://youtu.be/VPMUPzJ0mNA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):