This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYTB Presents Limon's "The Moor's Pavane"

New York Theatre Ballet will present the following program at Florence Gould Hall in New York on March 9-10:

Richard Alston A Rugged Flourish (2011)

Gemma Bond Run Loose

Merce Cunningham Septet (1953)

Antonia Franceschi City Scenes

Jose Limon The Moor's Pavane (1949)

James Waring An Eccentric Beauty Revisited (1972)

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=249

Thanks for the review link -- I missed it in the paper.

I'm sorry that the Waring wasn't as impressive as it might have been. His work has been very influential, but isn't really in an active repertory -- I'm afraid that we are going to lose it.

His work has been very influential, but isn't really in an active repertory -- I'm afraid that we are going to lose it.

According to Wikipedia:

Numerous dancers who went on to prominence danced in Waring's company, including Toby Armour, Richard Colton, Edwin Denby, Tanaquil LeClerq, Aileen Passloff, Arlene Rothlein , Alec Rubin, Martin Sarach, Ruth Sobotka, Paul Taylor and David Vaughn. Later dancers who would go on to found the Judson Dance Theater and create postmodern dance studied with Waring or danced in his company, including Lucinda Childs, David Gordon, Deborah Hay, Fred Herko, Yvonne Rainer and Valda Setterfield.
I don't know how accurate the Wikipedia article is, but this is a pretty impressive group. Even Edwin Denby!

Maybe Waring's real legacy can be found in the students and colleagues he taught and worked with.