This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mikhailovsky Ballet in US, June 19-July 1, 2012

Their initial tour dates were during ABT's Met season. Danilian had to be out of his mind to think ABT would be ok with them skipping back & forth across the plaza, OF COURSE it would dilute ABT's box office. Don't know why the change in dates didn't work out. Perhaps it was too much logistically at this late date...

Danilian's arrogance in this matter is evident. Instead of blaming Kevin McKenzie, he should be blaming himself and his lawyers for thinking that they could wiggle out of the non compete clause problem. It's also interesting that the Mikhailovsky management didn't think they had enough talent without Osipova and Vasiliev to warrant a tour to NYC. I hope this feud does not cause Osipova and Vasiliev to avoid signing up with ABT in the future.

From the NY Times article:

The tour was announced before the two Russians were hired, but Mr. Danilian said it was planned with the expectation that they would join the company. He indicated he was aware of the no-compete clause in the dancers’ Ballet Theater contracts, but expressed disappointment nonetheless.

So Mr. Danilian was gambling Mikhailovsky's entire NYC tour on (1) Osipova and Vasiliev joining the company; (2) ABT releasing them from their contract. And he never even bothered to check with ABT beforehand. This is astonishingly reckless and unprofessional. And this comes on the heels of his patently unprofessional handling of the aftermath of Osipova and Vasiliev's transfer to the Mikhailovsky. One wonders if both they and Mikhailovsky---and we their audience---might perhaps be better off with a different agent.

I'm with you, Ilya! Danilian pretty much represents the 'big three' St. Petersburg companies (Mar, Mik & Eifman), among which there are 'odd liaisons,' shiftings of dancers, etc. For example, I was quite surprised to read Mariinsky 'Deputy A.D.' Yuri Fateev's printed biography in the playbill for the just-completed Kennedy Center tour, stating that Fateev is actually a co-producer/co-presenter of 'Kings of Dance,' 'Vishneva Dialogues,' and other such Danilian touring ventures. This may explain some of the curious 'rumblings and shifts' and marketing tactics of late.One wonders about potential Danilian influences in recent hirings/firings, repertoire ins-and-outs, etc, at the Mariinsky, including the abyssmal new modern-dance-emphasis for the upcoming Mariinsky Festival in April (with only TWO full-eve Petipa nights; more Dialogues, more Le Parc, Bejart acquisitions...but cancellation yet again of Balanchine's Midsummer). In other words, the 'malaise' runs deeper than just the Mikhailovsky troupe. Let's keep our eyes on this one.

What does the acquisition of NO and IV have to do with the premiere of a ballet starring SZ and IS? I am confused.

SZ and LS (not 'I' confused with Ivan Vasiliev, but 'L' for Leonid Sarafanov) danced the second performance of Duato's "Beauty." Perren and LS (Sarafanov) danced the premiere. NO and IV danced their debuts in the ballet after their first two performances as new Principals. This was NO's Russian debut as Aurora, as she made her American debut with ABT. This was IV's debut as Desire. Here's the thing: They both wanted this production because they were vehemently denied the roles at the Bolshoi. As for SZ, it's a mystery (to me) why she's even bothering with it.

Thanks, Cygnet. This filing for bankruptcy may be a clue to one reason behind the cancellation of the NYC tour in July. I guess that Kekhman will not be poaching additional dancers for the troupe any time soon. I feel sorry for anyone who may not be receiving whatever he or she was promised by Mr K. earlier. Hopefully the treasury of the City of St Petersburg (de jure owner of the theater) will fund normal paychecks of the ballet troupe's rank-and-file artists.

I found it curious that a circus troupe/clown show ("Slava Polunin's Snow Show") is playing the Mikhailovsky Theater this festival week (Maslenitsa) and into the following week. Two straight weeks of clowning might be deemed more profitable than presenting opera and ballet. Desperate measures? http://www.mikhailov...2-02-23&sh=1042