This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mikhailovsky Ballet in US, June 19-July 1, 2012

I just visited the Ardani website and noticed casting for 2012 for Vasiliev and Osipova. Looks like they will be dancing exclusively with ABT this spring at Lincoln Center and won't be crossing the Plaza to do anything with the Mikhailovsky Ballet:

http://www.ardani.co...urs-osipova.php

http://www.ardani.co...rs-vasiliev.php

Has anybody seen any casting for the New York Mikhailovsky performances?

Another interesting tidbit on that site: casting for 2012 for Vasiliev and Osipova. Looks like they will be dancing exclusively with ABT this spring at Lincoln Center and won't be crossing the Plaza to do anything with the Mikhailovsky Ballet:

http://www.ardani.co...urs-osipova.php

http://www.ardani.co...rs-vasiliev.php

Has anybody seen any casting for the New York Mikhailovsky performances?

It could be that Mikailovsky has not finalized the NY castings yet. I can't imagine MB's crown jewels being absent from the all important NY tour. However if you look ABT & MB schedules, if Osipova was casted in MB mixed program and Giselle, she would have to dance at least 2 consecutive nights, it'd be tough. But Osipova is clear during the MB Sleeping Beauty run.

Frequently, contracts contain a non compete provision which prohibits an artist (dancer, opera singer) from appearing with another company in the same city during the time period for which they have contracted with a particular organization. The contracts that Vasiliev and Osipova signed w. ABT might prohibit them from appearing with any other ballet company in New York City while they are performing with ABT. We'll see.

Frequently, contracts contain a non compete provision which prohibits an artist (dancer, opera singer) from appearing with another company in the same city during the time period for which they have contracted with a particular organization. The contracts that Vasiliev and Osipova signed w. ABT might prohibit them from appearing with any other ballet company in New York City while they are performing with ABT. We'll see.

That would explain it! I hate non-compete contracts. I think it is an attempt to "own" people, which, in my opinion, is ridiculous. I worked part-time years ago for a Pilates studio and was actually certified to teach it, and when the owner decided to make us sign non-compete contracts, I quit. I don't believe in it unless it is the type of job where you have access to top secret info that would totally destroy the business (like being a top dog at Apple or Microsoft) b/c you know all the secrets. Pilates and/or ballet are careers in which anyone can obtain access to the knowledge. No secrets to steal and destroy a company by working elsewhere, so I think non-compete clauses are simply pure greed on company's part.

By the way, the owner of the Pilates studio wanted us to sign that we could not work for any direct competitor and included a list of competitors which named every Pilates studio and gym in the entire county. I think that is crazy. So I quit. I bought my own studio reformer for my house and I keep looking at it and wishing I would get back into it, but I like yoga more and do that.

That would explain it! I hate non-compete contracts. I think it is an attempt to "own" people, which, in my opinion, is ridiculous. I worked part-time years ago for a Pilates studio and was actually certified to teach it, and when the owner decided to make us sign non-compete contracts, I quit. I don't believe in it unless it is the type of job where you have access to top secret info that would totally destroy the business (like being a top dog at Apple or Microsoft) b/c you know all the secrets. Pilates and/or ballet are careers in which anyone can obtain access to the knowledge. No secrets to steal and destroy a company by working elsewhere, so I think non-compete clauses are simply pure greed on company's part.

By the way, the owner of the Pilates studio wanted us to sign that we could not work for any direct competitor and included a list of competitors which named every Pilates studio and gym in the entire county. I think that is crazy. So I quit. I bought my own studio reformer for my house and I keep looking at it and wishing I would get back into it, but I like yoga more and do that.

Well that's a slightly different situation, no? The knowledge of ballet isn't at question, but the ability to draw people into buying tickets is. ABT presumably booked Osipova and Vasiliev for the MET season under the impression they would exclusively present them for the summer of 2012. Vasiliev and Osipova's move to the Mik changes that--no question. If they are to perform at theaters across the street from each other at the same time it would (presumably) draw audience away from ABT. I would completely understand ABT's position for having a noncompete clause in this situation, but Osipova and Vasiliev's sudden move does put both companies in an awkward position, because the contract at ABT would have been drawn up before the move to the Mik happened. Hopefully ABTs lawyers didn't mess around, as I doubt the Mik wants to do a major tour w/o its newly crowned jewels.

Well that's a slightly different situation, no? The knowledge of ballet isn't at question, but the ability to draw people into buying tickets is. ABT presumably booked Osipova and Vasiliev for the MET season under the impression they would exclusively present them for the summer of 2012. Vasiliev and Osipova's move to the Mik changes that--no question. If they are to perform at theaters across the street from each other at the same time it would (presumably) draw audience away from ABT. I would completely understand ABT's position for having a noncompete clause in this situation, but Osipova and Vasiliev's sudden move does put both companies in an awkward position, because the contract at ABT would have been drawn up before the move to the Mik happened. Hopefully ABTs lawyers didn't mess around, as I doubt the Mik wants to do a major tour w/o its newly crowned jewels.

I agree that this is different, but I think as long as it is a different ballet I would go to their ABT and their Mik performances, but maybe that's just me. Even if it were the same ballet I would probably go to one of each to compare and contrast them in different productions (sometimes slightly different choreography). But maybe it would dilute the audience (ticket sales). So maybe they do need to have a non-compete. Also, now that I think of it, famous "stars" could hypothetically put on a show of themselves doing different pieces while in NY and that would sell out and people might decide to just see them in that and not go to ABT if the person is less interested in full-length story ballets.

They just posted a change to the tour -different dates (leant from a Russian site)

http://davidhkochthe...moreinfoMB.html

Fascinating! The next question: Will "no-compete" provisions in the ABT contracts with Osipova-Vishneva-Vasiliev apply to these new dates? The ABT Met season ends July 7. The POB season at the Met is July 11-22. So it's quite convenient that Mikhailovsky will now be July 24-August 5, isn't it?

These words also piqued my interest:

The Company is planning a new and exciting program which we expect to unveil sometime next week.

So are they possibly changing the originally-annouced offerings? It sounds as if the Duato mixed bill is still on but no mention of SB or Giselle, except that they show a photo of the huntings group in that ballet.

These words also piqued my interest: The Company is planning a new and exciting program which we expect to unveil sometime next week. So are they possibly changing the originally-annouced offerings? It sounds as if the Duato mixed bill is still on but no mention of SB or Giselle, except that they show a photo of the huntings group in that ballet.

Hoping Laurencia will be added to the program.

Mikhailovsky dates have changed. I already bought for 5 perfs and have the tickets. Koch box office called me last week to say the dates are now 7-23 thru 8-3 and that they may or may not be dancing Giselle, Beauty, rep night. They say they will call again.

Mikhailovsky dates have changed. I already bought for 5 perfs and have the tickets. Koch box office called me last week to say the dates are now 7-23 thru 8-3 and that they may or may not be dancing Giselle, Beauty, rep night. They say they will call again.

jamesb - you are lucky they called and informed you . I found out last night on my own, much to my shock. In Dec I was in NY and bought tix to Giselle and All Duato, while considering the ABT schedule so I could see Osipova. I thought I was so smart grabbing great seats and avoiding online fees. Called DHKT today and they said they will not call anymore until the Mik finalizes it's schedule. They did say the Mik is not giving refunds but since I live in Seattle I may qualify. Hope to find out more on this site!

How would you know for sure? may be they are updating the page ;-)) Also, for a different post, regarding openning a separate thread for them - imho, let them proove that they deserve it, it's their first visit to NYC or even US

I happen to be at the Koch Theater tonight for a NYCB performance, and I brought my Mikhailovsky tickets to the box office window for a refund. They had already credited my account for the full amount of the ticket purchase. The person at the box office confirmed that the tour is canceled. Very disappointing.

....regarding openning a separate thread for them - imho, let them proove that they deserve it, it's their first visit to NYC or even US

I totally agree.

Too bad for folks who *did* want to see them. Perhaps there's still time to book the Joyce and present a week of 'The Best of Nacho Duato'?

May be MB is eyeing the Met?

Mussel, today's Mik isn't ready for the Met. Two years ago, reknowned ballet teacher Misha Messerer single handedly whipped the Mikhailovsky's corps de ballet into shape for his redaction of the old Asaf Messerer/Gorsky version of "Swan Lake" for their London tour. It was this production of "Lake"

by which Plisetskaya, (in her prime), ruled and reigned over the Bolshoi Theatre. Their engagement was at the London Coliseum. "Cippolino," "Laurencia," and "Giselle" were also on the schedule.

The tour was a great success, and the majority of the critics lauded Messerer's efforts. After this, we know that Kehkman hired Nacho Duato as Artistic Director. The repertory now has a modern emphasis primarily of Duato's works, (which makes sense because he's the A.D.) When Duato began work on his new vision of "Sleeping Beauty," former Mariinsky (Kirov) danseur noble and Mik coach Nikita Dolgushin, declined to participate in the new production (as it began to unfold). The classical purity, that the former Maly-Mussorgsky (now reverted back to it's Imperial name) Mikhailovsky was known for, has been markedly diminished because of this new modern dance emphasis. The Mik used to be the second company of St. Petersburg after the Mariinsky and during Soviet era when they were known as the Kirov and the Maly respectively. Two years ago, Messerer's "Swan Lake" was nominated for a Golden Mask for "Best Ballet Production." That's how competitive the corps de ballet was just two seasons ago.

For what it's worth, Duato's "Beauty" had it's premiere, and the reviews (in the Russian media, among the pedagogues and the cognoscenti) have been, (politely) deemed in a word, mediocre - at best. All this, in spite of Kehkman's recent acquisition of Osipova and Vasiliev, not to mention Zakharova's and Sarafanov's participation in it. Love it, hate it or undecided, Duato's vision of Petipa's masterpiece may be a top recipient of Golden Mask nominations this year. IMO if they came to the Met in their current condition, they would do best if they brought Duato's works, (not his "Beauty"), and the playbill that they brought to the Coliseum - tried and true crowd pleasers, with a mixed-bill of Nacho Duato. Finally, I'm ITA with "YID" and Natalia re establishing a Mikhailovsky Ballet link. At the moment, they're more Mikhailovsky Dance Co. than "Ballet."

"For what it's worth, Duato's "Beauty" had it's premiere, and the reviews (in the Russian media, among the pedagogues and the cognoscenti) have been, (politely) deemed in a word, mediocre - at best. All this, in spite of Kehkman's recent acquisition of Osipova and Vasiliev, not to mention Zakharova's and Sarafanov's participation in it"

What does the acquisition of NO and IV have to do with the premiere of a ballet starring SZ and IS? I am confused.

I thought the ticket sales would be affected by the overabundance of programs of local and foreign ballets, among other offerings, this year.

According to this new blog posting in the NY Times, the Mikhailovsky cancelled as ABT exercised the no-compete clause of their contracts with Osipova and Vasiliev:

http://artsbeat.blog...s-summer-plans/

Thank you for sharing. Well, (still a bit confused how moved/altered to late July dates would trigger the no-compete clause, i TOTALLY understand it with the prior dates engagement)... but the irony is that Osipova & Vasiliev move to Mikhailovsky was for more artistic freedom, which in this case resulted in ABT making them "golden slaves" and hurting the rest of the Mikhailovsky troupe. If that's the only or a major cause for scapping the tour, guess, what "hospitality" they deserve from their new host (Mikhailovsky) company? Alas.