• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:03 AM

it's marvelous, but he will still have to rehearse and keep to a schedule at least some of the time!! good luck to him though, maybe he will like it better there. talented kid.

#47 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]COVER STORY: SERGEI POLUNIN
What makes ballet’s rebel run, by Julie Kavanagh[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Magazine: The Economist's Intelligent Life[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]September/October 2012[/font][/size]

edited to add direct link to article
http://moreintellige.../dancers-demons

#48 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

My favorite ballerina ever, a ballerina who inspired me with more passion for ballet than any other, was--or I might rather say is--Gelsey Kirkland; so, as one can imagine, I'm not at all inclined to hold a dancer's demons 'against' him (or her). And Polunin evidently has them. I also mostly agree with Leonid's suggestion, made in another thread about Polunin, that companies should be extra flexible in dealing with the extra talented. But I have to admit that, after reading Kavanaugh's piece, I continue to be a bit skeptical that there was any (realistic) way to keep him at the Royal -- whatever mistakes Mason made and whatever her faults may or may not have been as an artistic director.

I couldn't help noticing too that the 'straw that broke the camel's back' at the Royal was a rehearsal with Cojocaru...The article implies Cojocaru is not herself easy to work--by all accounts neither is Polunin and...uh...neither was Kirkland--but the episode does suggest that even pairing Polunin with the best of the best ballerinas did not solve his problems with partnerships at the Royal. (This last issue was raised earlier in the discussion concerning the complex of motives that may have caused him to leave the company.)

The article indicates a potential happy ending at the Stanislavsky where Zelensky seems to be both a mentor and a rather clever boss (setting up a contract in which particular plums Polunin wants depend on his behaving a certain way). Though Kavanaugh is decidedly skeptical re the potential partnership with Shapran.

Still, I write entirely as an outsider to any real experience of Polunin's talent. And I am rather curious what Royal Ballet watchers and admirers of Polunin thought about the Kavanaugh article ...

Edited to add that Kavanaugh represents Polunin as saying that certain things he said at the time of his departure from the Royal were deliberate mystifications, which also makes it all the more difficult to evaluate anything he says about himself in this interview or anywhere else.

#49 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

What a complex character he is, rumours about him were doing the rounds in London ballet circles before he left and it seems those rumours, specifically about being in it for the money, were true. He was of course growing up in the Ukraine at a very difficult time and hardship in the formative years proves a great spur in later life. Nureyev suffered dreadful privations as a child in the war years and finished up a multi millionaire, but Nureyev was performing at a time when there was far more money in the arts than there is today. There seems to be an element of self destructiveness in Polunin's personality and that should be a cause for concern, there is also a significant degree of immaturity and he comes across as a young man with a lot of growing up to do.

I was cheered by the reference that he has a good relationship with Kevin O'Hare and hope that he can eventually get back to the RB even if infrequently, as his loss has been a severe blow to the company: it has few glittering gems these days and to lose one of those few was a catastrophe.

Slightly off topic, but a dance writer unaware of Zelensky's physical appearance rather worried me, shouldn't someone writing about the art of ballet be familiar with all the art's most famous performers?

#50 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

I couldn't help noticing too that the 'straw that broke the camel's back' at the Royal was a rehearsal with Cojocaru...The article implies Cojocaru is not herself easy to work--by all accounts neither is Polunin and...uh...neither was Kirkland--but the episode does suggest that even pairing Polunin with the best of the best ballerinas did not solve his problems with partnerships at the Royal.

That tidbit in the story about working with Cojocaru in The Dream explains why Marcelo Gomes was brought in as a substitute. It seemed odd to me at the time to bring him in for just one performance. Gomes has a reputation as being a great partner, including as a last-minute substitute, and he knew the role from his performances with ABT. It's interesting that Royal Ballet did not have any male substitutes on their own roster:

http://www.roh.org.u...m-on-9-february

#51 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

I believe there was a dancer who had learned the role. I do not know why he was not used (but he would have been brilliant IMHO!).

#52 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

I believe there was a dancer who had learned the role. I do not know why he was not used (but he would have been brilliant IMHO!).

Perhaps high-powered stars demand high-powered stars as partners?

#53 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:28 AM

Just when I thought the Polunin affair was old news, his name cropped up on Channel 4 News last night. The main thrust of the story was about Kevin O'Hare becoming the new RB director, but it was clear from what Mr O'Hare had to say that he took the Polunin resignation very seriously and is determined to to offer a better standard of pastoral care to sometimes emotionally vulnerable young dancers in the future.

The new director came across as very sincere in his concerns for the company members and I imagine the loss of Polunin must have had a devasting effect on the company's plans for the future. For all his faults, I am keen that a door is left open for him should he choose to return.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):