119 replies to this topic

#106 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Nysusan and ksk04, thanks to both of you for your beautifully descriptive reviews! It sounds as if Skorik, while not a Somova-ish Disaster, is not-quite-ready-for-prime-time. One would hope that this would be a wake-up call to the Mariinsky casting directors; alas, they probably just point to the standing ovations and declare it a triumph.

#107 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:25 AM

[size=6][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Photographer Gene Schiavone has been taking and posting some gorgeous photos of the Mariinsky Ballet throughout the current Ardani-USA tour:[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.facebook....01237973?ref=ts[/font][/size]

#108 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

Hi Natalia! Thanks for posting that link to the Gene Schiavone photos. I was looking at them yesterday and there's one that sums up my impression of Skorik but I wasn't able to link to it on the hotel's computer. Here it is:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gene-Schiavone/139401237973?ref=ts#!/photo.php?fbid=10151173864742974&set=a.140674237973.113767.139401237973&type=1&theater

I also saw the Kolegova/Askerov Sunday matinee, and I agree with ksk04 about Kolegova. She is a beautiful woman and she danced well, she was traditional, a very soft Odette. She did all the steps but I found her boring, unemotional and unfocused. Askerov was a much better actor than Ivanchenko but not nearly as good as Schklayarov. His elevation was fine but his upper body was very stiff.

ksk04 - Korsuntsev may be not be a great actor compared to,say, Gomes, but he's been just fine the past few years. In fact I remember when the Mariinsky did Scheherazade at the Kennedy Center (I think it was last year) he and Lopatkina sizzled while the Lopatkina/Ivanchenlo cast was a snooze.

I just looked at the Berkley casting and Korsuntsev is dancing both performances with Kondaurova - those Berkley audiences are in for a treat!

#109 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Each performance has been a battle of wills not to laugh at the floppy fish death of Rothbart. Is there not a more dignified way for him to go? Posted Image

I'm going to go slightly Posted Imagefor a moment. IMO I think it's high time that the Mariinsky seriously reconsider this out of date 1950 Soviet ending and change it. Unfortunately, they refuse to toss any of Konstantin Sergeyev's Petipa redactions, out of respect for him and his legacy. The Mariinsky has shunned the Petipa reconstructions, and in the cases of "Bayadere," and "Sleeping Beauty," retired these recon productions. I've always thought that if they added the ultimate bars of the original 1877 finale, (like POB for instance), along with the tragic ending (which is in the 1895 based production that's done at Covent Garden, and other companies), it would be a great improvement. Or, if they insist that Rothbart must die, have him expire offstage in the ruins of his castle and/or have him go up in flames a la " Götterdämmerung." That concept might work. In 2012, playing one on one "grab your wing" doesn't work anymore - not even with the company's most dramatic premier dansuers. Sergeyev's "Raymonda," "Sleeping Beauty," and this production are pure dance. I really think that the Mariinsky's primas such as Lopatkina, Kondaurova, Tereshkina, Vishneva, (and Pavlenko) require a tragic ending in this ballet because their interpretations dictate the need for this, and it was the composer's original intent. Back to topic
-Posted Image!

#110 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

ksk04 - Korsuntsev may be not be a great actor compared to,say, Gomes, but he's been just fine the past few years. In fact I remember when the Mariinsky did Scheherazade at the Kennedy Center (I think it was last year) he and Lopatkina sizzled while the Lopatkina/Ivanchenlo cast was a snooze.

I just looked at the Berkley casting and Korsuntsev is dancing both performances with Kondaurova - those Berkley audiences are in for a treat!

Lucky Berkeley!!

I think I remember reading the mediocre reviews from last summer's Met engagement re: Korsuntsev. Anyway, I liked his presence the best and if I had to pick a partner to dance with it'd be him.

Thanks for posting the Gene Schiavone pics, Natalia & nysusan (and I agree that the one Skorik pic pretty much sums up my feelings towards her as well); he was snapping away behind me during the Kondaurova show on Wednesday.

Re: the ending. The feather fight is beyond embarrassing. I took a friend to one show and she asked "am I supposed to take this seriously?" But I guess most productions have embarrassing parts (I'm thinking the Purple Pimp/The Swamp Thing/that damn stuffed swan); it just seems that for something like Swan Lake by the Mariinsky we should expect a little more.

edit:

I feel sorry for [Skorik], actually, as she may be experiencing sheer terror on some nights: that's not want any artist needs to develop their craft. This isn't just bad for the audience, it's bad for the dancer's psyche.

She looked incredibly nervous on opening night, I thought. I did feel bad for her and that's not what I want to feel while watching a ballet performance.

#111 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

I have to say that the picture of Skorik reminds me of Edwin Denby's famous "pouter pigeon" description. The neck, chin, arms, wrists, and legs are held at such an exaggerated angle, and the facial expression is so frozen. It just doesn't look natural at all.

#112 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Skorik's expressions often remind me of Yulia Makhalina, especially in her early years. No offense to Makhalina; I'm referring more to the facial features, especially in theatrical make-up, and the look of 'anger' when concentrating. The pose is fantastic - can't take that away from her. So much beauty here, compared to that awful Segerstrom photo of her Odile with the side develope.

#113 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Each performance has been a battle of wills not to laugh at the floppy fish death of Rothbart. Is there not a more dignified way for him to go? Posted Image

In the Lopotkina/Korsuntsev version out on DVD, Siegfried whips Rothbart a few times with his own wing, which is equally goofy. But Korsuntsev is able to express a bit better the fact that there is a physical struggle between the two characters. Thanks for the great write-up, Ksk04.

I'm just plain envious now - I was wavering between traveling to Costa Mesa and traveling to Berkeley, but I chose Costa Mesa and I'll be forever stuck with Ivanchenko (in memory, of course). Me thinks the Mariinsky staff reads Ballet Alert forum. ;)

#114 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,007 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

A reminder: review by critics in newspapers are posted in the daily Links threads, and the company forums are for reviews by our members.

#115 YID

YID

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

It looks there were postings about California performances under "recent Perfomances" umbrella
http://balletalert.i...546#entry309546
http://balletalert.i...-at-costa-mesa/ I rarely go "under that umbrella" to check or ever open the "links" site - just my humble opinion

#116 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

And another in "Recent Performances" about the OC performances:

http://balletalert.i...-at-costa-mesa/

#117 YID

YID

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

[size=2]

It looks there were postings about California performances under "recent Perfomances" umbrella http://balletalert.i...546#entry309546 http://balletalert.i...-at-costa-mesa/ I rarely go "under that umbrella" to check or ever open the "links" site - just my humble opinion

[/size] [size=1][size=3]
[size=1]Here's my review - [/size]"[size=2] went on Friday night (missed 1st Act), then both Saturdays and Sunday (last one to primarily enjoy the PERFECTLY executed formations (lines, arches, "flowers" ect) by the corp from the elevation of 3rd tier). The highest praise (from me) goes to Corps, so synchronized, so graceful, such "swanly" backs and arms WINGS). Different to many, i like the happy ending Soviet version, and i don't find the Act IV as a filler, it has great dancing (imho). I also like the "russian" Act 1, filled with lots of wonderfully executed group dancing, compared to ABT version. I liked Kondaurova, Kolegova & Korzuntsev, Schklyarov, and was curious about Skorik and Askerov (whom i saw at Stage door - they both are equally very tall). To comment on the loud landings - the dancers told me the floor was way too hard and covering way too slippery. What i told my NYC friends at intermissions - Skorik has a terrific body (may be TOO thin). But as my "first-time-ever-to-see-a-ballet" friend commented- she didn't see a swan or a bird - she saw a thin overflexible dancer. Some lifts and steps were skipped, bourree was not present, and I would not blame lack of lift on just Shklyarov, as even Rothbald had difficulty lifting or holding her up. And in black act, if she was seducing anyone it was ironically-Rothbald. She rarely looked at her prince. Kudos would go to Shklyarov for super difficult combinations in his solos (Askerov skipped them). I can't point my most favorite prince on this tour, as i liked Shklyarov technic, but Korzuntsev is the VERY noble prince (and solid technic and great partnering skills). Ivanchenko was not as passionate i remember him in Saint Petersburg this April. Kolegova was a solid (not mind blowing) but a good O/O. I loved Jesters (I missed the missteps of the Jester on Friday). Next-(not liked Ratmansky) Cinderela in DC PS: I was glad to hear the Mariinsky Orchestra"[/size] [size=1]- end of the review ;-))[/size]

#118 Bungalow Kev

Bungalow Kev

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

We attended 3 performances of the Mariinsky Swan Lake ballet here in Costa Mesa Segerstrom Arts center and found all of them to be absolutely magical experiences that transported us to heaven for a few hours! Truth, beauty and grace all within a package of love and total commitment to the moment and movements. Can't wait for them to return!

#119 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

We attended 3 performances of the Mariinsky Swan Lake ballet here in Costa Mesa Segerstrom Arts center and found all of them to be absolutely magical experiences that transported us to heaven for a few hours! Truth, beauty and grace all within a package of love and total commitment to the moment and movements. Can't wait for them to return!

Welcome Kev, 3 performances - that shows real dedication. ;)
I'm glad you enjoyed the performances.

#120 Bungalow Kev

Bungalow Kev

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thank you Pherank. Have a great week !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):