This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter 2012 DanceView

kfw

The Winter 2012 DanceView arrived yesterday and I want to call attention to the magazine for the sake of new Ballet Alert members who aren't aware of it. DanceView is "a quarterly review of dance published since 1979 (initially as Washington DanceView)" by Ballet Alert! founder and administrator Alexandra Tomalonis. It's a treasure, with long, thoughtful reviews and essays, and plenty of large black and white photographs. Many issues have something I haven't seen anywhere else -- detailed descriptions of George Balanchine Foundation Interpreters Archives tapings in which Balanchine's own dancers coach today's dancers in Balanchine ballets.

The table of contents for the new issue:

A Murky Ocean, and Many Fine Performances: New York City Ballet's Fall Season, by Gay Morris

Interpreters' Archive: Suki Schorer Coaching La Source; Jillana and Conrad Ludlow Coaching Liebeslieder Walzer, by Leigh Witchel

Book Review: Jacques D'Amboise, I Was a Dancer, by Michael Popkin

Phedre and Psyche in Paris, by Marc Haegeman

Romeo and Juliet in Toronto, by Leigh Witchel

Season's reviews from New York, London and Copenhagen, and San Francisco by Marina Harss, Jane Simpson and Rita Felciano respectively.

Subscriptions are available here: http://www.danceview.org/