This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky to DC, Oct 2012: Cinderella

I did not want this important news to be merely buried deep in the thread about the current Mariinsky tour to Washington, DC. According to this report in the Russian channel VESTI, the Mariinsky Ballet returns to Washington DC with "Zolushka" (Cinderella) this October 2012! The report clearly points out that this 'surprise' comes despite the fact that the current 10-year commitment with the Kennedy Center ends with the present Diaghilev Ballets run.

Hip-Hip, Hoorah!!!!

Link (in Russian...but many here will understand...during the little interview with Yuri Fateev and right after, by the male reporter with the microphone): http://www.vesti.ru/...html?vid=391390

[thread title edited once confirmed by the Kennedy Center in its season announcement]

My own initial thoughts:

If they really are coming back to DC in October, as this news segment reports...gee, why Zolushka/Cinderella yet again (we already got it in Feb 2005)...and with that El Cheapo 'metal rods' set? On the positive side, it's a ballet danced by many faves of ours, such as Obraztsova and Vishneva. But Zolushka???? grrrr.... If the idea is to save money by packing a cheap set, then Little Humpbacked Horse (also Ratmansky) is a novelty for the DC public. Or another Ratmansky novelty for DC with a somewhat-simple set (though more substantial than LHH) would be Anna Karenina. But the report definitely states Zolushka (Cinderella).

This announcement -- and the additional news of a new 10-yr agreement with the KennCenter -- has been picked up by Voice of Russia newspaper, online:

http://english.ruvr....9/64142867.html

"St. Petersburg’s Mariinsky Theater and the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington have agreed another 10-year extension of their cooperation contract.

Mariinsky Ballet’s chief choreographer Yuri Fateyev said Wednesday that in October the company would be bringing to Washington their own version of Cinderella and also the world-famous ballets – Chopiniana, Scheherazade and The Fire Bird as part of their Russian Seasons program."

(RIAN)

More Diaghilev 3ple Bill? So are they just gonna store the sets & costumes of the Fokine ballets in the Kennedy Center's attic? Odd...

http://rus.ruvr.ru/2012/01/19/64137819.html

Ok, Natalia, you're right - the russian text confirms that they extneded a 10-year by another 10-year. however, the English text misinterpetes that the russian seasons will be back in the fall. The correct text should have said "the current tour wrapps up/celebrates a 10-year collaboration between the two organizations. The troupe is performing the famous ......"

http://rus.ruvr.ru/2...9/64137819.html

Ok, Natalia, you're right - the russian text confirms that they extneded a 10-year by another 10-year. however, the English text misinterpetes that the russian seasons will be back in the fall. ....

Just going by what I saw in print. smile.png The mention of the MET in the title is also a tiny error, n'est-ce pas? I'm sure that NYC-based Mariinsky fans were hoping that the title were correct. Alas, the body of text clearly states Washington, DC.

http://rus.ruvr.ru/2...9/64137819.html

Ok, Natalia, you're right - the russian text confirms that they extneded a 10-year by another 10-year. however, the English text misinterpetes that the russian seasons will be back in the fall. ....

Just going by what I saw in print. smile.png The mention of the MET in the title is also a tiny error, n'est-ce pas? I'm sure that NYC-based Mariinsky fans were hoping that the title were correct. Alas, the body of text clearly states Washington, DC.

I also think the "MET" in the title is an error. However, in the video link that you posted, I thought I heard the Russian reporter mentioned Metropolitan Opera at the end, so there's still hope.

First alert! First alert!

Alina Somova makes her debut in the title role of Ratmansky's Cinderella on April 20. So Fateev is likely 'prepping' her to headline the Kennedy Center run of this ballet in October. The many folks around here who avoid her like the plague should wait for casting before purchasing tix, in other words. :)

(Source: mariinsky.ru playbill for April 2012)

Well, from reading another forum, Ratmansky's Cinderella will be shown in Edinburg in the summer. Is it enroute to DC? Why such a push for Ratmansky's ballet? I'd rather them Speed ship the decorations from Swan Lake in CA where they'll dance prior to DC.

Well, from reading another forum, Ratmansky's Cinderella will be shown in Edinburg in the summer. Is it enroute to DC? Why such a push for Ratmansky's ballet? I'd rather them Speed ship the decorations from Swan Lake in CA where they'll dance prior to DC.

YID, in addition to 'politiks,' it may have to do with Ratmansky ballets being staged with very lackluster and simple sets and costumes, so presenters get away with paying minimal wages to the backstage unions and no overtime pay. In other words, the upcoming Vikharev recon of the 1800s Petipa COPPELIA may be the last of the luxurious ballet productions to play the Kennedy Center. So let's enjoy it. There's nothing even comparable on the horizon, for those of us who love gorgeous academic-style painted sets and sumptuous costumes. (La Scala's RAYMONDA won't be touring anywhere close to the USA, anytime soon!)

Additionally, this is pitifully bad choreography, with the exception of the two pdd adagios for Cinders and her 'milkman' Prince (in ridiculous all-white costume with white bowtie...the Milkman Danceth).

Somova was delightful in Ratmansky's Little Humpbacked Horse--no reason to think she may not be so in his Cinderella. I have only seen her in twentieth and twenty-first century roles, so can't comment on her performances in the classics, but as a neo-classical princess she can be lovely.

(Of course, people who "avoid her," as Natalia writes above, will avoid her.)

SimonA, Somova was 'prepped' for this by being given the only performance of this ballet at the Mariinsky this season, a couple of months ago. She actually looks good in the Act II 'silly dance' when she does a little shuffling and the prince encourages her to keep dancing. She's quite OK in the 'silly Ratmansky' genre,' when not called upon to be classical.

Besides Vishneva, the only other current Mariinsky ladies who have danced the title role of this ballet are Osmolkina, Golub and Pavlenko (confirmed below by Drew). Obraztsova used to dance it before she went to the BT. Terioshkina, Evseeva, Gumerova, Makhalina, Nioradze, Tkachenko and others are usually cast as a stepsister or the stepmother.

Edited to add name of Golub and to acknowledge that Pavlenko was not merely announced for the role but has actually danced it (thanks to Drew having seen a YouTube clip).

Ratmansky's "Cinderella" (which the Mariinsky brought her a few years ago) is quite contemporary and Somova may well be perfect for it. (Not writing that to start yet another fight about Somova by any means, just wanting people to not expect a traditional production.)

Besides Vishneva, the only other current Mariinsky ladies who have danced the title role of this ballet are Osmolkina and Pavlenko (or at least Pavlenko was cast a couple of times last year but I have yet to see photos, films, critiques).

There is a tape of Pavlenko dancing the pas de deux on youtube.

I know Mariinsky casting is unreliable (at least on tour) but can Washingtonians tell me from past tours if they can be expected to make any announcements before tickets go on sale (early August according to website)? Thanks--

Thanks for info on Pavlenko, Drew. Yes, casting is normally posted on the KC web a week or so before tix go on sale.

Here is, IMO, the best solo I've ever seen by Alina Somova. In other words, she may be perfect for the Ratmansky Cinderella:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDt7eDZJN8&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL85B5F0059BB67CEB

Irina Golub's bio indicates that she, too, has danced the title role in Cinderella. With Vishneva indicating that she won't be coming to DC, the remaining MT dancers who've danced the role are Somova, Golub, Pavlenko and Osmolkina. I would not rule-out that one other, perhaps Oksana Skorik, is being prepared for this tour. (The MT has, in the past, used tours to 'debut' a dancer in a starring role, e.g., Somova's Juliet in London.)

This one looks like a pass for me, especially since I have already made two trips to DC in 2012 (January for the Mariinsky triple bill, June for Bolshoi's Coppelia). The decision for me may ultimately turn on what ABT decides to perform at City Center here in New York, as their engagement occurs during the same week as the Mariinsky DC engagement. Hopefully, ABT will not pull the same stunt as last season of selecting only works that do not require an orchestra.

Same here, Abatt. If the ABT rep is good, I may actually go to NYC. Ratmansky's Cinderella is not my cup of tea; saw it at the Petersburg premiere and twice when if last came to DC five years ago. That was enough. Even if it were Anna Pavlova in the title role, I could not bear it anymore.

[Edited to cancel request for a specific YouTube link. Got a PM from a friend.]

Indeed, Drew. Shirinkina and/or Skorik would be the top candidates to debut Cinderella on tour, if anybody debuts the role in Edinburgh or DC.

The incredible thing is that the ballet has already been packed and shipped overseas; it isn't scheduled to return to the repertoire back home until January 2013. Somova's debut in April was in the one-and-only performance of the ballet at home since the start of the current season.

Casting has been posted. Thought I'd give this a pass, but the opening night cast (Shirinkina, Shklyarov, and Kondaurova) is tempting.

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)

Tue., Oct. 16 at 7:30 p.m.

Cinderella: Maria Shirinkina

The Prince: Vladimir Shklyarov

Stepmother: Ekaterina Kondaurova

Wed., Oct. 17 at 7:30 p.m.

Cinderella: Ekaterina Osmolkina

The Prince: Igor Kolb

Stepmother: Alexandra Iosifidi

Thu., Oct. 18 at 7:30 p.m.

Cinderella: Alina Somova

The Prince: Alexander Sergeyev