Keenan Kampa to join Mariinsky

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 amiaow

amiaow

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Announced in the Washington Post this morning- Boston Ballet dancer Keenan Kampa, who completed her training at the Vaganova Academy, will be joining the Mariinsky Ballet from June. Congratulations Ms Kampa!

http://www.washingto...wprss=arts-post

#2 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Fantastic!

#3 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

What wonderful news! Congratulations to the lovely, talented Ms. Kampa. Let the barriers continue to come down!

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,221 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Congratulations to Ms. Kampa :flowers:

#5 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:50 AM

Keenan's Gayane solo was a highlight of the 2010 Vaganova Academy graduation. She's a lovely lyrical dancer. I am thrilled beyond words that she will be joining the MT!

#6 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

The quality and assurance of movement in the video linked by amiaow are astonishing. Does anyone know when and/or where this video was shot?

#7 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

If I recall correctly, I saw her in Vaganova Academy in her graduation year of 2010. Her first year in Boston was this 2010-2011 season. The link provided was from 2009 Vaganova Academy production of Nutcracker season, I am assuming since that is the rehearsal I was very fortunate to see.

#8 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

Does anyone know the rank into which she'll be taken? I'm assuming Corps de Ballet but the MT has been known to take in young dancers at the Choryphee or even the 2nd Soloist level who've already danced professionally in other companies, e.g., Timur Askerov when he moved from Ukraine last season, after a year or so in the corps in Kyiv. There's also the new "Trainee" category this year; currently, the only "Trainee" is Kim Kimin of Korea.
http://www.mariinsky.../trainee/kimin/

#9 its the mom

its the mom

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Actually, she danced last season in Boston (2010-2011), also.

#10 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

Yes, you are correct its the mom. I made a mistake with the years in my haste. I will correct the dates above.

#11 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

According to this article in "Voice of Russia"...

http://english.ruvr..../20/646719.html

...the announcement of Keenan's joining will be made at the Kennedy Center during the present Diaghilev run, which is a rather unusual way of announcing new corps de ballet...especially one who isn't even due to join the company for several months. (There's always a 'first time' for everything.)

Quote:
An official announcement to this effect will be made at the John F.Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington...

Another "Voice of Russia" article similarly states that there will be an on-stage announcement of the signing of the next 10-year Agreement between the Kennedy Center and the Mariinsky.

So I'm guessing that Yuri Fateev will be taking to the stage after one of the upcoming shows to make the big announcements??? Posted Image

All in all, it looks like those of us who were able to nab tickets to the weekend performances of the run are in for a treat. This is almost as good as a Reality Show...or The Oscars! Posted Image

[size=3]p.s. Some of us had been hearing about Mr Fateev preparing to make a "big announcement" on-stage during this run and had thought that it would be the long-awaited promotion of a certain 1st soloist. Ah, well...maybe good news "comes in threes"? [/size]

#12 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

This news has made it onto the Mariinsky website, with a gorgeous pic of Keenan in front of the Hermitage/Winter Palace!
http://www.mariinsky.../24_229january/

One error that everybody seems to be making in all the hype: she is not the first American to join the Mariinsky; that honor went to Rasta Thomas, who joined as a Second Soloist in the 2000/2001 timeframe and danced, among other ballets, a memorable Jeune Homme et la Morte opposite Lopatkina. He returned to the US after a year but the fact is that he was an American regular (not 'guest') member of the Mariinsky Ballet.

#13 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

#14 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

That very brief clip gives a hint as to how magnetic Ms. Kampa must be on stage, even when performing something simple. I don't know that I've ever seen (or noticed) that charming youthful gesture of playing with the snow.

#15 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

... youthful gesture of playing with the snow.

I've seen it a dozen times, bart. All the Bolshoi dancers who guested with my daughter's studio's Nutcracker did it. It is lovely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):