This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Character dance in Raymonda

Has anyone noticed that one of the dances in Aberderakham's entourage is almost similar to the one in Second Act Bayadere?

And that reminds me. Does anyone agree with me that as nice as the Markarova version for RB is,that all of the character dances in the Second Act is sorely missed in her version?

I hadn't noticed the similar dance in Raymonda/Bayadere. Will have to re-watch. Not sure which dances you are referring to though.

Yes, the character dances are cut in the Makarova version of Bayadere, but I actually like her version although a lot of people seem to hate it. I think it has been referred to as a "streamlined" version. I have seen videos of the reconstructed Mariinsky and also the traditional Mariinsky and the Paris Opera Ballet Nureyev version on video, and probably overall the dances and including more choreography is better.....but somehow the Makarova version also works for me. I think the painted backdrops are gorgeous and atmospheric. Her last act is sort of weak (not much dancing) and seems more like Solor and Gamzatti are getting ready for a funeral instead of a wedding (although we know it is, in fact, going to be their funeral), so I sort of understand why people don't like the Makarova version. I think it loses some of the Imperial Russian glamour also by not having a parade during Gamzatti's and Solor's engagement party or a fake elephant! LOL But we have to be thankful that Makarova staged her version when she did. It might be time to move on to a more authentic version at ABT, Royal Ballet and other places, but because her version has been around it sort of has by default become one of the normal alternatives and probably the most well known version to Americans at least. I have to say I do like the closure (last act when the temple collapses) as opposed to ending the ballet after the Kingdom of the Shades. I have to agree with people who hate Makarova's version that it is also a lot more stunning to see 32 dancers come down the ramp (in the Mariinsky and Paris versions) as opposed to 24 in the Makarova. But it is still stunning enough for me! LOL I have read that the reconstructed Bayadere was not well received and audiences get bored when they see it. I have watched it on video and enjoyed it immensely. Basically, I like all versions of Bayadere at this moment in time.

Birt, I do agree with you--I have always loved the Makarova version. I actually saw the first performance--in Washington in the 1970's, and it has held up very well, not going over the top (a la Corsaire), and the drama has become stronger, though I did like it better when Gamzatti wore flat flippers(rather than ballet shoes) in the confrontation scene. I think it made it stronger, but apparently, it was hard to change shoes so quickly for the bethrothal scene. It is a shame that she couldn't have included some of the character dances--I always loved the little dance manu, even though it does interfer with the drama. And I suspect that the parrot dance would bring up too many memories of Monty Python. Mary

I find the manu dance cute but sort of silly at the same time.....but it is fun, so leaving in any extra dances is always a good thing. But I guess I don't miss it that much. On the fence about the character dances. I like the principals' variations and pdd stuff the best usually.