This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met season ticketing strategy

The New Yorkers could tell you more about same-day purchases. I don't know if they have a 1/2 price rush for students, seniors, etc. before the performance, but I've never noticed anything along those lines, if they do.

For an individual Friends membership at only the $90 level, you get free admission to four rehearsals and can bring a guest. It's a good deal, as they do these throughout the season Tuesday-Friday. You call a recorded number they give you in the morning to find out the time, which can be anywhere from 12-6 for a two-hour rehearsal. Typically, they are rehearsing something for the next few days, not that night's performance. You sit in the first tier, and you might enjoy those more than the scheduled performances! http://www.nycballet.com/support/membership/benefits.html

I see on May 23 they're doing a new Martins, In the Night, and a new Wheeldon. The rest of the week is "Double Feature." I noticed on the TDF site that NYCB sometimes sells cheap tickets, but mainly to lemons (like Seven Sins). Still, at least you can buy those 6 weeks ahead and you can see what they're doing. The out-of-town membership is pretty reasonable: http://www.tdf.org/

Does anyone have an opinion about sitting in the front row in seats A19 or A20? I'm not tall so I try to buy seats with no one directly in front of me but the seats I've always purchased in the past are now wheelchair seats. I've seen these ballets many times and prefer to see the dancers up close but have never been in the front row all the way to the side.

The New Yorkers could tell you more about same-day purchases. I don't know if they have a 1/2 price rush for students, seniors, etc. before the performance, but I've never noticed anything along those lines, if they do.

For an individual Friends membership at only the $90 level, you get free admission to four rehearsals and can bring a guest. It's a good deal, as they do these throughout the season Tuesday-Friday. You call a recorded number they give you in the morning to find out the time, which can be anywhere from 12-6 for a two-hour rehearsal. Typically, they are rehearsing something for the next few days, not that night's performance. You sit in the first tier, and you might enjoy those more than the scheduled performances! http://www.nycballet...p/benefits.html

I see on May 23 they're doing a new Martins, In the Night, and a new Wheeldon. The rest of the week is "Double Feature." I noticed on the TDF site that NYCB sometimes sells cheap tickets, but mainly to lemons (like Seven Sins). Still, at least you can buy those 6 weeks ahead and you can see what they're doing. The out-of-town membership is pretty reasonable: http://www.tdf.org/

Thanks....I was thinking about Liebeslieder Walzer/Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet on May 22. I arrive May 22 and leave May 27, so that is probably the only thing I have much interest in, but it is the day I arrive. I might be too tired. I hate to travel. I am also trying to fit in seeing a friend or two and going to Jivamukti Yoga during the daytime on some days. So it will be busy. I might just play it by ear and let Fate decide whether I get a ticket at the last minute or not. My partner will be happy if I don't and then we could go to a nice dinner. He is a big foodie.....is that the correct term?

For an individual Friends membership at only the $90 level, you get free admission to four rehearsals and can bring a guest. It's a good deal, as they do these throughout the season Tuesday-Friday. You call a recorded number they give you in the morning to find out the time, which can be anywhere from 12-6 for a two-hour rehearsal. Typically, they are rehearsing something for the next few days, not that night's performance. You sit in the first tier, and you might enjoy those more than the scheduled performances! http://www.nycballet...p/benefits.html

Thanks....I was thinking about Liebeslieder Walzer/Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet on May 22. I arrive May 22 and leave May 27, so that is probably the only thing I have much interest in, but it is the day I arrive. I might be too tired. I hate to travel. I am also trying to fit in seeing a friend or two and going to Jivamukti Yoga during the daytime on some days. So it will be busy. I might just play it by ear and let Fate decide whether I get a ticket at the last minute or not. My partner will be happy if I don't and then we could go to a nice dinner. He is a big foodie.....is that the correct term?

I'm in almost exactly that same predicament, although I arrive in NY before you. I have tickets to the ABT Gala on the 14th, and Giselle on May 17 (Cojocaru/Murphy). I'm VERY interested in the NYCB's May 13 program (Serenade/Firebird/Symphony in C) but it's a matinee and that's the day I get in to JFK. I might just be too exhausted.

I could see "New Martins/New Millepied/Facny Free" or "Russian Seasons/New Millepied/DGV" on the 15th or 16th, but am I really that interested? It's a dlemma.

I would choose the Russian Seasons just out of curiosity. I loved Ramantsky's "Symphonic Dances" in Miami on March 1.....I have read that Russian Seasons is earthbound. But I would still go just to see, if I were there at that time! Serenade/Firebird/Symphony in C sounds like the best program though, so if you can manage it, I would go to that! But your plane might be delayed, etc., so I would wait till the last minute and hope to get a last minute ticket.

Does anyone have an opinion about sitting in the front row in seats A19 or A20? I'm not tall so I try to buy seats with no one directly in front of me but the seats I've always purchased in the past are now wheelchair seats. I've seen these ballets many times and prefer to see the dancers up close but have never been in the front row all the way to the side.

good good good

good good good

Depending on how short you are, you may have trouble seeing the dancers' feet. When I have sat in the first row that has consistently been a problem for me, though being somewhat on the side helps since the angle across the stage means the dancers are further away from you (good for feet). If I were sitting in the front row I would actually want to be on the side even if it meant losing a corner of the stage.

anyone know how soon after processing your order the box office mails out tickets? (currently without a working printer and didn't want to wait until the summer when i'm there to pick them up) I'm doing a bunch of travelling -- lots of short trips -- soon, and I want to make sure I can keep an eye for the tickets I ordered. Any help would be great!

(a bit in shock that I'm actually going to NYC this summer and getting a chance to see ABT at the MET!)

anyone know how soon after processing your order the box office mails out tickets? (currently without a working printer and didn't want to wait until the summer when i'm there to pick them up) I'm doing a bunch of travelling -- lots of short trips -- soon, and I want to make sure I can keep an eye for the tickets I ordered. Any help would be great!

(a bit in shock that I'm actually going to NYC this summer and getting a chance to see ABT at the MET!)

From my experience with opera tickets everywhere it seems like most performing arts companies nowadays have a record of your ticket purchase in the computer and I have lost tickets before and they were able to look up and re-print them for me before the performance. I imagine ABT has this ability, so it won't be the end of the world if your tickets don't come in time. At least I don't think.

From my experience with opera tickets everywhere it seems like most performing arts companies nowadays have a record of your ticket purchase in the computer and I have lost tickets before and they were able to look up and re-print them for me before the performance. I imagine ABT has this ability, so it won't be the end of the world if your tickets don't come in time. At least I don't think.

I had a similar thing happened to me last year. The box office was very helpful in this regard.

I had a similar thing happened to me last year. The box office was very helpful in this regard.

Thanks for you help! It's always good to know that the box office is a "nice" box office

spinning2night, I got my ABT tickets in the mail today, so you probably did too. I bought them on Sunday. I only mention b/c you were worried about the time frame how long before they send out tickets. Thought I would mention this in case you haven't gotten yours yet. You probably will any day now.

spinning2night, I got my ABT tickets in the mail today, so you probably did too. I bought them on Sunday. I only mention b/c you were worried about the time frame how long before they send out tickets. Thought I would mention this in case you haven't gotten yours yet. You probably will any day now.

Thanks for letting me know! It's great to know that the Met/ABT box office is really prompt and helpful when there are problems. I've had some bad experiences with box offices (ticket delays...lost transactions), and this is my first time dealing with the Met. I normally, print my tickets, but i currently don't have a printer so I had to go with another option this time around.