This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Why hasn't Elgar been choreographed?Wand of Youth

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

The last company I danced with did a piece (similar in plot to Lilac Garden, choreographed by the AD) to Elgar's Enigma Variations--I still remember the choreography of the pdd to Nimrod, and some of the final action (where husband apologises to wife). It was a very moving piece, but I think doing Balanchine's "Stars & Stripes" as the finale kind of buried it.Posted Image (The critics, though, gave it the better review.)

#17 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

yes, Wheeldon did Sea Pictures for SFB a decade ago. Now that I think about it, it seems the fore-runner of his 'Ghosts.'

#18 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

If you are interested in Ballet and music, and have the capability to create new works, they can often be inspired by hearing just the smallist excerp from a piece of music. It takes a lot of work from the initial composition to research and find enough music by the same composer to create a full length ballet.

Since 2005 I have been doing just that, and have so far written six original new ballets, which have been seen by a number of well known //artistic Directors. I am currently working on another special ballet using music by Rachmaninov. It is not a case of my using an existing stiory, I have quite a vivid imagination, and my love of Ballet and experience of working in the genre has given me the enthuisisium and confidence in trying to get my idea's performed. My projects include Libretto, Scenery and Costume Desgn, and the music that I have found for the production. Sounds easy enough, but it is in fact many hours of hard work. But I love every minute of mt tume spent on it.

#19 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Maybe it's in the "Dance in America" program "Ballerinas: Dances by Peter Martins" where Martins said he heard a piece by Beethoven playing on the radio, and he thought of Kyra Nichols and choreographed "Beethoven Romance" for her and Adam Luders.

I also remember a comment in one of Christine Brennan's books on figure skating that Michael Weiss' coach Audrey Weisinger used to get distracted by music she heard on the radio when she thought it would be good program music, which didn't help her driving record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):