3 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

A review of Miami City Ballet by Jordan Levin in The Miami Herald.

Artistic director Edward Villella’s impulsive decision two years ago to commission a work from Scarlett, a 25-year old choreographic prodigy at England’s Royal Ballet, turns out to have been a prescient one. In Viscera, an urgent, intricately structured piece set to a driving contemporary score by American composer Lowell Lieberman, Scarlett built on the attack, musicality and intensity that Villella has honed in years of coaching MCB’s dancers in demanding repertory by Balanchine and others, opening a path that could take the company in a new creative direction.

A review of the company by Jeff Haller for Concerto.net.com.

The music on which he chose to choreograph is Lowell Liebermann’s Piano Concerto No. 1. From its opening notes many will feel we have entered Balanchine/Stravinsky territory. It is never an easy world. There is menace, there is near cruelty, it can be frightening because it may feel so unfamiliar to what we expect in the pretty world of ballet. Viscera will not disappoint lovers of ballet athleticism; romance is not much in evidence, even in the glorious second movement pas de deux powerfully interpreted by the company’s love couple, Jennifer Carlynn Kronenberg and Carlos Miguel Guerra.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

An appreciation of Frankie Levy, who died last month at age ninety.

Levy began dancing at age 7, when the toddler’s frolic was still fresh inside her. She formed the Georgia Dance Theatre ballet company in Augusta, which taught the art and nurtured the passion for dance until 1982, though she kept teaching after that. Along the way, she exposed her students to world-class shows and teachers in New York, and even produced an original ballet for the 250th anniversary of Augusta that was ultimately performed in London.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Kathryn Greenaway writes about attending her first ballet class for The Montreal Gazette.

Miss P, as everyone in the know except me called her, was giving the instructions while her perfect assistant demonstrated. The assistant's name was Susan I think, although that detail has faded, and she was so, well, ballerinaish.Suddenly, my size and ignorance no longer mattered. I wanted to match Susan's grace and knowledge, and the only way to do that was to pull myself up to my full 11-year-old height and point my foot. It hurt.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

A top ten list for 2011 by Anne Lawrence for SeattleDances.

Corella Ballet (World Dance, Meany Theater). Corella Ballet performs with all the panache and virtuosity of its renowned artistic director, Angel Corella. The Meany program—a flamenco-influenced pas de deux for Corella and his sister Carmen, a neoclassical piece by Clark Tippet, and two marvelous works by Christopher Wheeldon—effectively displayed the company's strengths. The result was a thrilling evening of classical ballet,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):