This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Travel Tours for Ballet or Dance PerformancesCombined travel tours for attending ballet/dance performances

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bnjweber

bnjweber

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

I have traveled widely for business and sightseeing and have on ocassion attended available performances in theater, opera, and dance.

Being in the Washington, DC area I have traveled to New York and Boston to catch local or visiting ballet or dance companies. But visiting companies rarely do more than the tried and true standards so traveling to their home bases is a must.

So instead, I thought it would be fun to combine a vacation tour of cities coordinated with ballet and or dance performances.

I am thinking a week or ten day tour stopping in two or three of the following European cities: Paris, Lyon, the Hague, Berlin, St. Petersburg, and Monte Carlo coordinated with one or two ballet or dance events in each city.

Do such tours exist; if so I have had little success finding them on the internet?

Bruce

#2 GianninaM

GianninaM

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Welcome to Ballet Alert, Bruce; we're happy to have you with us. I've been a ballet nut for over 60 years and have dreamed of a European ballet tour for decades. I've looked and haven't found one, nor do I know if European ballet schedules would lend themselves to such a tour. If you find one be sure to let me know. In the meantime enjoy the board; lots of ballet information on it.

Giannina

#3 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:14 AM

I know that there are some tours arranged by a group connected with the National Ballet of Canada, but I don't know the contact information off the top of my head. Will try to look. They have gone to Europe (various countries) and spots in the US. The woman who leads the tours also gives a continuing ed class in Ballet History at the University of Toronto. From time to time she leads ballet talks prior to performances, and I always feel I learn the most when she is speaking. When someone else steps up to the podium it is never the same. I would love to take part in one of the ballet tours some day.

I wil post more information if I find it.

mom2

#4 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

GianninaM, I thought you much more youthful. The first 30 years of your ballet experience must have been from your prior lives. Posted Image

#5 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

tours en l'air ?

#6 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yes, that (Tours en L'air) is the organization I remember as well. I think there is also one in Australia, but unfortunately, I don't remember the name of that one, and will have to check my rather disorganized archives (unless an online--Google?-- search might do?)

#7 GianninaM

GianninaM

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:43 AM

I Googled tours en l'air and they're there.

Giannina

#8 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

Yes, that (Tours en L'air) is the organization I remember as well. I think there is also one in Australia, but unfortunately, I don't remember the name of that one, and will have to check my rather disorganized archives (unless an online--Google?-- search might do?)

My colleague Elizabeth Zimmer has done some work with Renaissance Tours in Sydney, Australia, but these are Australians, coming to the US.

#9 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Tours en L'air has a 2012 schedule posted. Thanks for telling us about it puppytreats! It's surely something to keep an eye on.

#10 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:27 AM

Yes, Tours en L'air is the one I was thinking of! The "word lady" is the person I was trying to describe - you will find her much more articulate! Please let us know if you do decide to go.

#11 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Just a quick note to say that I located the blog today for tours en l'air - I contacted the "word lady" and she responded quite promptly.

Thank you to the originator of this thread - you helped me find something I'd been looking for!

#12 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

There is also a British based tour company called Travel for the Arts.

Over the years, I've met a number of people who have been travelling independently, having compared schedules and worked out their own itineraries. We used to meet up often in the Autumn with an American gentleman (Jim from the Bronx) who spent a month in the UK following all the British companies he could find.

The "Word Lady" was in the UK last Autumn. I met her at Birmingham where she interviewed Robert Parker for her group and Friends of BRB.

#13 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

Just found details of this Tour en l'air trip on Twitter:

http://toursenlair.b...t-trip-now.html

#14 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

Hello, here I am. It took me a while to find this thread again. I run the Tours en l'air ballet holidays, and would love to hear from any of you who want to join in our great ballet experiences. You can find information about the trips (and lots of other ballet stuff) on my website, or you can email me at toursenlair@gmail.com to be added to my mailing list. I look forward to meeting you (virtually)!
Katherine Barber

#15 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

I've just posted my 2013-14 season here:

http://toursenlair.b...ys-2013-14.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):