7 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

A look at the year in Australian dance by Chloe Smethurst in The Age.

In a win for audiences outside of Sydney, the ballet joined the digital age this year, when it broadcast the final performance of the Bodytorque season online. This seems an incredibly sensible way forward for the art form, particularly in Australia where vast distances and small populations can make touring prohibitively expensive

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

Jennifer Homans will be speaking at a book signing this month.

Jennifer Homans, author of the national bestseller "Apollo's Angels: A History of Ballet," will speak at the New Canaan Library at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 10. Event co-sponsor Elm Street Books will be selling copies, which will be available for signing.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

The designer Kinder Aggugini will do the costumes for the English National Ballet's production of "The Rite of Spring."

Kinder, who describes his trademark style as "when Coco Chanel Chanel met Sid Vicious", will follow in the footsteps of British designer Stella McCartney who turned her hand to costume design in 2011 for her father's first ballet - Ocean's Kingdom -at the New York City Ballet.

Related.

Having created a one-off tutu for the English National Ballet's fundraising summer party in July last year, the designer was approached by the company's artistic director Wayne Eagling to meet MacMillan's widow Lady MacMillan to discuss The Rite of Spring redesign.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Wendy Whelan is named "artistic advisor" to the Myers Dance Center of Saratoga Springs. Item in brief.

“Miss Whelan has been a guest artist with my company, Northeast Ballet Co., for many years and has watched the company’s growth closely,” says the center’s Artistic Director Darlene Myers. “She will be a wonderful inspiration for all my dancers — and for myself, personally, as an artist.”

Whelan will guest-teach at the center and continue her work with Northeast Ballet, the resident dance company at Proctors.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Wendy Whelan is named "artistic advisor" to the Myers Dance Center of Saratoga Springs. Item in brief.

“Miss Whelan has been a guest artist with my company, Northeast Ballet Co., for many years and has watched the company’s growth closely,” says the center’s Artistic Director Darlene Myers. “She will be a wonderful inspiration for all my dancers — and for myself, personally, as an artist.”

Whelan will guest-teach at the center and continue her work with Northeast Ballet, the resident dance company at Proctors.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

A social pages item about a party celebrating Miami City Ballet's 26th anniversary.

The evening's gracious hosts Joel and Nancy Hart welcomed friends and lauded the stunning stars of Miami City Ballet's internationally acclaimed dance troupe and their eagerly anticipated season of programming planned for the Palm Beaches. MCB Palm Beach liaison Philip Neal elaborated on the ballet's exciting plans for the Company's 2011/2012 season of programming orchestrated for the Kravis Center for the Performing Arts.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

An interview with Liam Scarlett.

“When I create, music is such an important part.” Scarlett traveled to Miami last August to watch the company and get a true feel for the dancers, before undergoing a 10-day workshop to create the ballet: “I saw what they were about, individual personalities, this kind of internal, athletic, physical underlying drive that every single person in the company seemed to have. It was amazing to watch. Hopefully, that’s what ‘Viscera’ gets across.”

In addition to the choreography, Scarlett also designed the costumes, allowing the ballet to “take the vision I want—entirely. If it doesn’t work, it’s my fault.”

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

A shout-out to former Sarasota Ballet soloist Ashley Ellis.

Ellis is a beautiful dancer; I especially loved seeing her in anything Balanchine, but my impression last year was that Sarasota was just a short layover in her eclectic career, which began with American Ballet Theatre’s Studio Company, from which she moved on to a stint with Angel Corella’s company in Spain.

Let’s hope she’s found a happy home in Beantown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):