5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Many happy returns of the day to Yuri Grigorovich, who is 85 today.

At 85 his ballet mission has not yet been fully accomplished. He plans to rework Sergey Prokofiev’s Ivan the Terrible. Later this month the award-winning choreographer is set to go on a tour to Japan tour with the Bolshoi Theater, after which he will be heading to America for a three-month tour with his Krasnodar Ballet company.

Related, with video.

President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko congratulated People's Artiste of USSR Yuri Grigorovich on his anniversary.

Voice of Russia, in brief.

Prime Minister Putin has congratulated the former Bolshoi choreographer Yuri Grigorovich on his 85th birthday. On Friday, the Bolshoi Theatre will host a special function on the occasion.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

A preview of Birmingham's third international dance festival.

Included in the line-up, which was announced recently, are Sylvie Guillem together with Russell Maliphant, Royal Ballet of Flanders, controversial Canadian choreographer Dave St-Pierre, a collaboration between Birmingham Royal Ballet and American choreographer Jessica Lang and Danza Contemporanea de Cuba.

And organisers are planning two large scale community events to involve as many people as possible in foot tapping.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

A list of the best in Tulsa's performing arts in 2011 by James D. Watts Jr. for Tulsa World.

However, the standout dance performance had to be Tulsa Ballet's October mixed-bill program that featured William Forsythe's "In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated" and Jiri Kylian's "Six Dances." These two demanding pieces inspired Tulsa Ballet's dancers to give performances that did not so much push the envelope as shred it into confetti, as they attacked these works with a ferocity and fearlessness that was something to see.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

An overview of Nutcracker season in London by Roslyn Sulcas in The New York Times.

This year, however, “The Nutcracker” has prevailed during the time that P. G. Wodehouse’s Bertie Wooster likes to call “the festives.” The Royal Ballet, English National Ballet and Matthew Bourne have all had versions of the ballet in London theaters since early December, and in the last week of the month the Birmingham Royal Ballet transplanted its production to the 23,000-seat O2 Arena, more commonly home to rock concerts.

Balletomanes and critics like to complain about seeing “The Nutcracker” over and over again, but the truth is that even less-than-great versions of the ballet exercise a kind of magic through Tchaikovsky’s score, which offers the same infinite potential for choreography as the texts of great plays do for staging.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

The Guardian asks several artists where they look for creative inspiration.

Tamara Rojo: An idea never comes to me suddenly; it sits inside me for a while, and then emerges. When I'm preparing for a particular character, I look for ideas about her wherever I can. When I first danced Giselle, I found Lars von Trier's film Dancer in the Dark incredibly inspiring. It was so dark, and it felt just like a modern-day version of Giselle – the story of a young woman taken advantage of by others. It brought the part alive for me. Now when I talk to others who are playing Giselle, they sometimes say they're worried that it feels like a parody, and not relevant to today. I tell them to watch that film and see how modern it can be.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

The Mankato Ballet Company gets a new studio.

The location also offers parents nearby coffee shops and other entertainment while they wait to pick their kids up from classes. Besides spacious dance space in the 7,000-square-foot main floor, the basement can be used for storing costumes and props.

After renovation work, the group hopes to be moved in by March.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):