This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I just typed in my zip code in the Ballet in Cinema website to see if the next ballets will be carried in my own city (I have had to drive over an hour to see most but recently a local movie theater carried the repeat of La Esmeralda and the live Sleeping Beauty). I was hoping my local theater would continue showing them and eventually be listed for the rest of the Bolshoi ballets, but not only are they not listed for my local movie theater, but I notice that most of the theaters within 100 miles from me no longer list any of the ballets except for the one I have been going to in a city over an hour away. It looks like many movie theaters are dropping these transmissions! I also searched for my parents' zip code b/c I am going down there a lot this winter and spring, and same thing there. Many theaters that were listed carrying them no longer list any performances! This is bad news, if the movie theaters are ending their participation in the Ballet in Cinema performances. Very sad!!!

I'm sorry to hear that, the Seattle area is the opposite - when I checked 6 months ago no theaters within 300 miles were carrying much ballet - I was looking at a trip to Vancouver, BC to see something. But more and more are picking up not only Ballet in cinema but also Opera in cinema. Still, many times this is not listed on the official website. I've had to go to Fandango(dot)com to find local theaters.

Perhaps the Ballet in Cinema website theater locator simply is not up to date.

That's too bad if broadcasts really are being dropped due to low attendance. On the other hand, these movie theaters are businesses, and if they don't make money they can't stay in business. At my venue, as few as ten people show up for the early morning live broadcasts; rebroadcasts later in the day might be about a third to half full, but that's still not very good, so I'm fearful the same thing will happen here.

I wonder what the economics are for streaming to computers (or through some service like Netflix), preferably on demand, but even live at 7 am wouldn't seem so early if I could stay at home with my latte and cats. I'd happily pay $20 for that.

After the poorly edited and projected Giselle with Sarafanov & Osipova, I haven't been encouraging students to go... I hope quality has much improved and the series survives... I must give them another chance as It would be awful these opportunities to see world class bsllet in the hinterlands vanish.