This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Grigorovich Ballet question

I know that Yuri Grigorovich used to be the director and choreographer for the Bolshoi, but I noticed that his fairly new company is performing Le Corsaire in Jacksonville, FL and Miami, FL in February. Feb. 9 and 10 in Miami and Feb. 14 in Jacksonville. I wondered if this company he formed is a decent company, since it sounds like it is mainly a touring company. Has anyone attended any Grigorovich Ballet performances? Are they professional and worthwhile performances? Do they perform with an orchestra or to a taped recording?

Grigorovich Ballet is his private venture, based in the city of Krasnodar (Caucasus region). As far as I know, he still nominally runs this troupe in addition to overseeing rehearsals of his ballets at the Bolshoi in Moscow. In the early years (mid-1990s), the troupe included a lot of ex-Bolshoi soloists; that was 15+ years ago, so I'm guessing that the current dancers come from many ballet academies throughout Russia. I've never seen them but they have an OK reputation, from what I've read and heard. It's a big troupe (80+ dancers) - big enough to perform YG's Spartacus and other large-scale works. For a while, their main ballerina was Anastasia Volochkova; she was their headliner on a tour to the Mariinsky a couple of years ago.

Bart is right - there's very little on-line information on this troupe and the USA tour. They're dancing Spartacus in some cities; Corsaire in others. They also do a gala-concert of Soviet ballet highlights titled 'Legends of Russian Ballet' which might be fun to attend. Hints of the content of the gala program are found here, e.g., 'Spring Waters pdd':

http://www.ariecrown...ents/events.jsp (tickets not cheap - $250 to $30 for back of the house...yikes!)

From the above, crazy translation & typos included:

Directing exclusively for his anniversary 2012 US tour, Yuri Grigorovich - world-renowned choreographer of the Bolsoi Theatre, has created a magical Ballet Show.

Watching this performance, the spectator will have a chance to admire a selection of famous masterpieces such as Rimonda (music by Glazunov), Chopeniana (Chopin), Le Spectra de la Rose (Carl Von Weber), Don Quixote (L. Minkus), Spring Water (Rachmaninov), Swan Lake (Tchaikovsky) ... to name a few.

The show is complete with beautiful sets, lavish costumes, inspiring dancing and glorious music.

Grigorovich Ballet is his private venture, based in the city of Krasnodar (Caucasus region). As far as I know, he still nominally runs this troupe in addition to overseeing rehearsals of his ballets at the Bolshoi in Moscow. In the early years (mid-1990s), the troupe included a lot of ex-Bolshoi soloists; that was 15+ years ago, so I'm guessing that the current dancers come from many ballet academies throughout Russia. I've never seen them but they have an OK reputation, from what I've read and heard. It's a big troupe (80+ dancers) - big enough to perform YG's Spartacus and other large-scale works. For a while, their main ballerina was Anastasia Volochkova; she was their headliner on a tour to the Mariinsky a couple of years ago.

Bart is right - there's very little on-line information on this troupe and the USA tour. They're dancing Spartacus in some cities; Corsaire in others. They also do a gala-concert of Soviet ballet highlights titled 'Legends of Russian Ballet' which might be fun to attend. Hints of the content of the gala program are found here, e.g., 'Spring Waters pdd':

http://www.ariecrown...ents/events.jsp (tickets not cheap - $250 to $30 for back of the house...yikes!)

Directing exclusively for his anniversary 2012 US tour, Yuri Grigorovich - world-renowned choreographer of the Bolsoi Theatre, has created a magical Ballet Show.

Watching this performance, the spectator will have a chance to admire a selection of famous masterpieces such as Rimonda (music by Glazunov), Chopeniana (Chopin), Le Spectra de la Rose (Carl Von Weber), Don Quixote (L. Minkus), Spring Water (Rachmaninov), Swan Lake (Tchaikovsky) ... to name a few.

The show is complete with beautiful sets, lavish costumes, inspiring dancing and glorious music.

Thanks, Natalia! I have been trying to find more info. From what I have found online I think the "Legends of Russian Ballet" is being performed in Miami as well as Corsaire.... 3 Miami performances (1 Legends and 2 Corsaire), but in Jacksonville there will only be a Corsaire (one night only).

Thanks, Natalia! I have been trying to find more info. From what I have found online I think the "Legends of Russian Ballet" is being performed in Miami as well as Corsaire.... 3 Miami performances (1 Legends and 2 Corsaire), but in Jacksonville there will only be a Corsaire (one night only).

Bart

Yes, Natasha and BB...both ballets will be performed here, but I'm not sure I will be attending. For once, I've been very aggravated in the past by those troupes-(can't forget my last trip to see an unfortunate Swan Lake up in Broward)-and then, they will be performing at the Jackie Gleason Theater, a Miami satellite of the SF based Fillmore, which allows their performances to be share with served refreshments and even food..yes, including waiters roaming around tables placed around the orchestra area and everything, which makes the whole thing sort of what I remember as cabaret show in Cuba...

Nope...I'll thing I'll pass this time. I'm getting too old and cranky.

Bart

Yes, Natasha and BB...both programs will be performed here, but I'm not sure I will be attending. For once, I've been very aggravated in the past by those troupes-(can't forget my last trip to see an unfortunate Swan Lake up in Broward)-and then, they will be performing at the Jackie Gleason Theater, a Miami satellite of the SF based Fillmore brand, which allows their performances to be share with served refreshments and even food..yes, including waiters roaming around tables placed around the orchestra area and everything, which makes the whole thing sort of what I remember as cabaret show in Cuba...

Nope...I'll thing I'll pass this time. I'm getting too old and cranky.

Last time I went to the Jackie Gleason Theater was for a Concert Association of FL concert version of Bellini's Norma, and there was no food at that time. I guess things are changing. This surprises me. To fit tables in there they must have had to take some rows of seats out which would make less tickets that they can sell. I wonder if it makes the whole thing viable. I would hate people eating and drinking inside a performing arts center too, I think, although I have read that centuries ago people ate during operas all the time in their boxes and chatted and pretty much ignored what was going on on stage until a good aria came about! I guess we are going back to those days where no one is really there to see the show. It will just be a party to attend! Already people seem to think they can exit and enter whenever they want at opera houses. I am always happy when there are good gestapo ushers, but most are old and volunteering as ushers, so sometimes they don't care and let anyone in at anytime during the performance.