This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Nutcracker's "Gigue"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EricHG31

EricHG31

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

I did a search and didn't see this come up in other threads--my apologies if it has.

In the John Lanchberry Tchaikovsky ballet recordings (which hold a special place for me because I got them on vinyl when I was 6 years old and still have their DuMaurier sponsored red sleeves), there is an added number for Nutcracker in the Act II Divertissement--a Gigue (danse Anglais). I've NEVER seen reference to this number--in Wiley's books on the ballets, in performance, or in Petipa's notes to Tchaikovsky. Does anyone know the source? And if not, were British jigs popular national dances in Russian courts back then?

#2 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

In the sketching stage of Petipa's choreographic script, he apparently had wanted an act I divertissement of national dances different from the demi-caractere pieces used in Act II. The male variation in the grand pas de deux is a rather wheezy tarantella taken from this failed sequence. I believe that the Gigue was another piece. Incidentally, the dances were to end with a cancan. It would be interesting to hear what Tchaikovsky did with THAT idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):